Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd November 2019, 12:20 PM
Friend

Default Adox MCC

I tested my box of Adox MCC FB paper along side my Ilford Classic FB paper ,everything about it is the same as Ilford the only difference I can see is that the Ilford print had a little bit more contrast than the Adox print ,plus Adox paper is about £10 plus more than the Ilford paper .so for me its still Ilford ,I get that little bit more contrast and I save money ,but quality wise they are both top of the range papers ,its just personal taste ...
Old 23rd November 2019, 01:16 PM
Friend

Adox MCC is a Warm-tone paper so differs from Ilford Classic FB, so you aren't comparing like with like, image tone colour with MCC can be varied from relatively Neutral to qodd warm-tones depending on the choice of developer and also development time.

Ian
Old 23rd November 2019, 01:29 PM
Friend

I use the MCC a fair bit aas a warm tone paper,it has a lovely warmth in the right developer, I use Fotospeed warm tone beveloper at 1/20 and certainly I find it as warm as the MGWT paper, so you can't truly compare the Adox paper with Ilford classic, whic I also use, again lovely paper for more neutral tones
Richard
Old 23rd November 2019, 02:02 PM
Friend

that shows how much I know ,I didn't know it was warm tone . but I developed them both in standard Ilford paper developer ,and there was quite a similarity between them ,I am not to mad on warm tone papers ,but this one was just a very little bit different to the ilford classic ,but I do like it .
I think comparing them together was for my own benefit ,as I bought some in a sale ..my standard is Ilford Classic FB paper ,and I ask my wife what print she liked the best and she chose the Adox one .I have scanned both prints but on the computer screen you cannot tell the difference ,I have just dug up some prints I made with Ilford FB warmtone ,I was not very happy with that paper ,its all personal taste at the end .
Old 23rd November 2019, 04:18 PM
Friend

I found that MCC produced a rich brown black and a hint of warmth but I was using old multigrade developer.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 23rd November 2019, 04:48 PM
Friend

well folks I have just uploaded the print I was talking about ,on to the gallery .now when I scanned them they both looked exactly the same so it is a print on Ilford or adox because I forgot what one I scanned first . .I am no good at scanning so its all done on no setting
Old 23rd November 2019, 05:20 PM
Friend

its not on the gallery its on albums ,having a senior moment..

but please have a look
Old 23rd November 2019, 05:31 PM
Friend

Sadly I have neen reading on photorio that MCC is in very short supply and likely to be gone for a while as one of the suppliers of an important ingredient has pulled out of the market and Adox are having great problems finding an alternative, if it does go it will be a real shame, it is simply a great paper, dissapeared when Agfa went bust, and now going again for possibly some time
Richard
Old 23rd November 2019, 05:48 PM
Friend

I have just put my MCC paper next to my kentmere bromide FB paper ,another great paper with us no more
Old 23rd November 2019, 06:18 PM
Friend

Hi Richard,
Thanks for the info on ADOX MCC. Was also already wondering that the fotoimpex shop was almost empty.
On another note about prices. It is very important to know where the products are actually produced. Goods imported have to be more expensive if everything else seems the same, say quality. I purchased Fuji Provia in a Japanese online shop for that reason. Ilford is made in England, Adox in Germany. Therefore Ilford papers are more expensive there and vice versa. One noticable factor is the exchange rate, of which I profited when buying my large format camera in England shortly after the Brexit vote. Adox just anounced not to produce their RC paper Adox MCP anymore, because of the current rate of the GBP and therefore price competition for papers made at German production cost (salaries).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies