Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th May 2020, 10:10 PM
Friend

thanks that was great John , lovely photographs and a great little story to go with them
Old 12th May 2020, 10:34 PM
Friend

John, the heads on the bolts look unfamiliar to me.
Do you know if they fit into a female recess to secure them during tightening?
Will have to go Googling.
Old 13th May 2020, 07:44 AM
Friend

Default Bolt heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
John, the heads on the bolts look unfamiliar to me.
Do you know if they fit into a female recess to secure them during tightening?
Will have to go Googling.
You have got it in one. The axle boxes to which these are fitted have cast slots in the top and the oblong heads just drop into them. Good basic engineering that has stood the test of time. Saves the need for two workers on the same job.

An interesting note about these is that the threads all appear the same but do not closely follow the same pitch or depth so are obviously hand made but not to a repeatable pattern. (They used the original nuts with these) Probably made by a young apprentice who was still learning!
Old 14th May 2020, 08:01 AM
Friend

I'm enjoying reading what everyone is doing and seeing the results. Great thread. A bit like your horses, BigPaul, I've been walking down my road to a little yard where there are two donkeys, who are always keen on getting a treat. If we're a bit slow on it, the wooden gate gets a kick to hurry us along. I tried taking some shots with my Nikon FM3a but it's quite dark where they are and I missed the focus on every shot. So I'll have to go back with some higher speed film and give myself a better chance to get a decent result.

I've also been dabbling in Bromoil (with help from B&W Neil), but I've nothing decent to show there yet.

Another thing I've been doing is bringing various bits & bobs together for a Still Life table. My mother kept a lot of interesting 'stuff' over the years which has found its way to me and up to now I've done very little (i.e., nothing) with it. This is where I am at the minute - printed on Ilford Warmtone fibre paper and sepia & selenium toned.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	StillLife-small.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	668.5 KB
ID:	3764  
Old 14th May 2020, 08:45 AM
Friend

I've been spending time, and film, in some old cemeteries and on the Islands beaches, both of which can be great for both social distancing and photography
Richard
Old 14th May 2020, 09:09 AM
Friend

With the lifting of travel restrictions from yesterday I am going to dip my toes in getting on my motorcycle later this afternoon and having a slow and gentle ride around Kielder forest and back home following the coast road back home and through the Tyne Tunnel. I will have to be careful where I go because the roads on the border dip in and out of Scotland where the restrictions are still in force.

My helmet will be a very efficient face mask and as I always wear a fabric under helmet which covers my mouth, this will give me a second line of defence. I will be taking hand gel, a flask with coffee, a couple of sandwiches and a box of tissues. If the weather holds it will be a good day.
Old 14th May 2020, 09:17 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
I'm enjoying reading what everyone is doing and seeing the results. Great thread. A bit like your horses, BigPaul, I've been walking down my road to a little yard where there are two donkeys, who are always keen on getting a treat. If we're a bit slow on it, the wooden gate gets a kick to hurry us along. I tried taking some shots with my Nikon FM3a but it's quite dark where they are and I missed the focus on every shot. So I'll have to go back with some higher speed film and give myself a better chance to get a decent result.

I've also been dabbling in Bromoil (with help from B&W Neil), but I've nothing decent to show there yet.

Another thing I've been doing is bringing various bits & bobs together for a Still Life table. My mother kept a lot of interesting 'stuff' over the years which has found its way to me and up to now I've done very little (i.e., nothing) with it. This is where I am at the minute - printed on Ilford Warmtone fibre paper and sepia & selenium toned.

Michael
Michael, that's a very nice photograph. There is a real depth of feeling to it.
Alan
Old 14th May 2020, 10:15 AM
Friend

Michael I second what Alan said ,also I am looking forward to seeing some donkey photographs ,they are one of my favourite animals ,we don't get many around here they are all horse,e people
Old 14th May 2020, 03:55 PM
Friend

Like Paul, I love donkeys as well and they are my preference over horses any day.

One of my last sighting's of some was a few years ago now, when I did a holiday on the IOW and went to the donkey sanctuary there. I've been on their mailing list for years and it's so sad to see photos of some of the animals when they rescue them. I just don't know how people can treat them and other animals the way they do.

But also, living by the sea at Southend, I've always been surprised not to see any donkeys giving youngsters rides on the sand. It's a happy memory I have of the various seasides my parents took me too in my younger days. And even at the back of Greenwich park, which I visited regularly, when I lived in London for many years, had a row of donkeys, that I took along some carrots, when I remembered. Lovely animals.

Terry S
Old 14th May 2020, 04:57 PM
Friend

Thanks Alan and Paul, appreciated.

Paul and Terry your posts encouraged me to stop being lazy so as dinner was cooking I nipped into the darkroom and quickly printed off the 'best of a bad lot' of the first set of donkey shots. It's a funny shot and this is pretty much full frame (and still wet).

We've known 'Jed' for years and he certainly recognises us (I think!). Sometimes when we've passed him in the car and given him a beep on the horn and a wave he's given us a full-on bray in return, which causes much hilarity. But he's a donkey so turn your back on him at your peril. I did once and he got me a good nip on the upper part of my arm - I had a pretty big bruise for about a fortnight. Thankfully he didn't break the skin. It taught me a lesson though.

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jed-small.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	3766  
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies