Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th January 2020, 11:58 PM
Friend

Default enlarger recommendations

hi guys,

so im trying to create a list of enlargers to look at purchasing. At the moment i mostly shot 6x7. I shot 35mm also. I am plan on getting a horizon panoramic camera which ratio is 24x58 and possibly down the line 6x9 and 6x12.

What enlargers would you suggest? I am looking to print black and white.

i have found a lpl c7700 pro for a great price on gumtree.
Old 27th January 2020, 12:20 AM
Friend

Default Lpl

LPL enlargers especially the 7700 are built to last. I have had 2 and that was only because I exchanged it for a LeicaV35. It was not my cup of tea so went back to LPL. If you can get a later one with the letters C7700MX. They have a few improvements such as ease of changing the bulb but whatever you get they are all good.
As you will know the neg carrier goes up to 6x7 so make sure you get a neg carrier with the anti newton ring glass or there is a risk of the negative 'popping' without one.
Old 27th January 2020, 10:47 AM
Friend

Default enlarger recommendations

I agree that LPL are good quality enlargers. I’ve used the 6600 and 6700, and my 4x5 enlarger is the LPL 7451. If you think you will be doing 6x9, you should maybe look for something suitable to save a later purchase. The problem, however, is that machines capable of enlarging 6x9 are not that common, and tend to be the big ones designed for 4x5 and above. There are some older, simpler designs by Gnome and Photax, to name two that could handle 6x9, and are not too bulky. They tend to be inexpensive, so it might be worth getting the LPL at the moment, and looking for something like that when you’re ready to do 6x9. Another alternative would be a Meopta Magnifax. I’m sure it goes up to 6x9, and is a reasonable size. I owned one briefly. It is also a good quality enlarger.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 27th January 2020, 02:33 PM
Friend

I can highly recommend the Beseler 23CII. Built like a tank, simple design, capable of 6x9 (hence the 23 model no.), solid and stable. The later XL model has an extra-tall column for doing 16x20 on the baseboard, and if you want to print larger then the whole head flips 90 deg. for horizontal wall projection. They are inexpensive to buy (at least here in N. America) because there were so many sold. Parts and accessories are cheap and plentiful. Check them out... Hopefully they are as easy to find and inexpensive in the UK as here.
Old 27th January 2020, 03:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
I can highly recommend the Beseler 23CII. Built like a tank, simple design, capable of 6x9 (hence the 23 model no.), solid and stable. The later XL model has an extra-tall column for doing 16x20 on the baseboard, and if you want to print larger then the whole head flips 90 deg. for horizontal wall projection. They are inexpensive to buy (at least here in N. America) because there were so many sold. Parts and accessories are cheap and plentiful. Check them out... Hopefully they are as easy to find and inexpensive in the UK as here.
we have one stockist of some Bessler enlargers over here, but at well over £1000 gbp I wouldn't call them cheap, as far as parts and accessories are concerned they are only available as special order, For 69 the Meopta maginafix or Opemus 67 are fairly cheap and widely available second hand, and are built to last, I have been using a Meopta Opemus 6 for nearly 30 years without problems, take a look at the stock of SDS, a forum sponsor which will give you some ideas, also LPL and Durst enlargers are very good value for money
Richard
Old 27th January 2020, 03:44 PM
Friend

Richard - that price must be for a new one. Beseler is still in business and the 23CII is still made (another good reason to buy one -- parts availability).

Here's a used 23CII on ebay in London:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BESELER-2...gAAOSwfrleK10g

Looks like it comes with a very nice lens too...

And an XL version for about the same price (no lens though):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BESELER-23C-II-enlarger-darkroom-equipment-23-c-II-23cII/293442344553?hash=item445286d669:gIcAAOSw5mFdxu~ p
Old 27th January 2020, 05:08 PM
Friend

guys thanks for the recommendations they will be going on my list.
Old 27th January 2020, 05:27 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend View Post
Richard - that price must be for a new one. Beseler is still in business and the 23CII is still made (another good reason to buy one -- parts availability).

Here's a used 23CII on ebay in London:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BESELER-2...gAAOSwfrleK10g

Looks like it comes with a very nice lens too...

And an XL version for about the same price (no lens though):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BESELER-23C-II-enlarger-darkroom-equipment-23-c-II-23cII/293442344553?hash=item445286d669:gIcAAOSw5mFdxu~ p
I'm talking about new, there is just the 1 importer her, Firstcall Photographic, they have a good range of them, and sometimes they come up at SDS, but rarely do you see the bits and pieces that go with them, certainly Firstcall do not keep much, a couple of masking frames is about all I can see on a quick look, I didn't look on places such as Ebay, but I do agree that they are tremondous enlargers and built like a tank, they should last a lifetime
Richard
Old 28th January 2020, 01:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I'm talking about new, there is just the 1 importer her, Firstcall Photographic, they have a good range of them, and sometimes they come up at SDS, but rarely do you see the bits and pieces that go with them, certainly Firstcall do not keep much, a couple of masking frames is about all I can see on a quick look, I didn't look on places such as Ebay, but I do agree that they are tremondous enlargers and built like a tank, they should last a lifetime
Richard
I guess they are more common here in N. America. They probably sold more 23C units here than all other enlargers combined. It was the enlarger of choice for schools because it is so rugged. It's not the most sophisticated or refined design, but it more than does the job.
Old 28th January 2020, 05:41 PM
Friend

My advice on Enlargers is KISS (keep it simple stupid)

By which I mean avoid anything that has an automatic adjustment or compensation - including focusing.

Most enlargers are solid robust mechanical objects with little that can go wrong.

If you are planning on getting an enlarger that will cope with 6x12 negs - then you will need a 5x4 enlarger - which tend to be more money.

Good quality common enlargers found in the UK tend to be
  • LPL
  • Durst
  • Kaiser
  • Meopta
  • DeVere

They all made excellent enlargers - so if you find any of the above makes that look as if it has been well looked after - you should be able to buy it safely.

Beseler sold enlargers in the UK but they were not common - so any spares or alternative parts such as Negative Carriers might be more difficult to source.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies