Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th May 2020, 11:41 PM
Friend

Default what i am taking over lockdown

I has been hard finding things I want to photograph and print ,I have been using my new to me Rolleiflex 6003 camera as well as my Mamiya autofocus cameras ,so I have been getting through some 120 film ,I took these on my Rollei just some I took to test the camera out .Taken on Ilford delta 100 asa and printed onto Ilford FB grade 2 10x8 paper ….Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	323.6 KB
ID:	3744

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	3745
Old 10th May 2020, 07:49 AM
Friend

Hi Paul,

I only have a small garden, and like you have been struggling to find something interesting, so I have devoted a lot of time on table top photography, pretty much if it will fit on the dining table and I think I can maybe make it look interesting I'll have a bash, plenty of misses and a few hits, but that's what you get for taking up our hobby

Just ordered a couple of photo lamps to try out continuous light shooting

A picture of my latest cobbled together set up and a couple of examples are in the "what are we doing" thread

Looks like the next few days might be another chance.

Ian
Old 10th May 2020, 08:01 AM
Friend

Default What to take

I could have replied "A nice single Malt" but as I don't like whiskey that is unlikely. Now a Captain Morgan Rum - that is a different matter! Or even a Remy Martin Cognac would be nice.

I am lucky in that I can get out for my daily exercise although I don't go every day I can usually find something to photograph. There are numerous disused old coal mining railway tracks where I live that are now public footpaths and they can turn up quite a lot of subjects. They are usually very quiet as well so little risk of social distancing difficulties.

I spent a couple of hours earlier last week walking around a deep gorge which is spanned by the 'Causey Arch' This is now a foot path but is the worlds oldest existing railway bridge built in 1725/6 again for the coal mines using wooden rails and horse drawn wagons. I may visit it again soon, because the last time I used 35mm; but to do it justice you really need 120. I can give my Minolta Autocord a bit of exercise as well.
Old 10th May 2020, 08:41 AM
Friend

Good Morning John-
I have to confess to thinking something similar to you when I saw this thread title. Apparently the Nation is drinking more during lock-down; everyone needs a Hobby.

Is this your bridge? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causey_Arch

We have this: https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attrac...ides_Scot.html

It was built in readiness for a new road which would complete a circular route in the North of Lewis. The road never happened, so we have a 'Bridge to Nowhere'. Not particularly lovely, but has somehow become a Tourist attraction, probably on the back of its name. We also have 'The Bridge Across the Atlantic' an ugly steel bridge which links Lewis and Bernera. Another romantic name, and another disappointment for anyone making the trek to see it.
Cheers!
Old 10th May 2020, 09:02 AM
Friend

So far I have done a fair bit of still life of one sort or another, some have worked, but some are very much a miss, and I have been out for a good walk, We have been allowed to drive to a beach and walk from there, and I can usualy find something that makes a good photograph, but 2 hours was not long if you take into account the drive there and back, but the last week has helped in that we have been allowed out for 4 hours a day for anything outside, and it is just possible, if all goes well, that the stay home order will be lifted for us from the 12th,for a while,
Keep safe
Richard
Old 10th May 2020, 09:33 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellum View Post
Good Morning John-
I have to confess to thinking something similar to you when I saw this thread title. Apparently the Nation is drinking more during lock-down; everyone needs a Hobby.

Is this your bridge?
Indeed it is but there are different and better angles apart from this 'stock' one It faces due south and with the depth of the gorge the sun does not get down until quite late in the morning so you are taking the picture directly into sunlight and you can either get serious flare or a plain silhouette. I have no idea what time of day this stock picture was taken, possibly late afternoon.

There is a steep path on the right hand side close to the masonry that descends to the river and on the descent you get a better idea of the construction and how well it was made. Continuing on and going right under the bridge the path continues for about 75 yards and you get an even better idea.

From the top of the gorge to the left of the 'stock' picture, is a very small gap in the trees where you can look down on it. It is clear now, but in a couple of weeks the trees will be in full foliage so that view is blocked. (Only the locals realise this)

Last edited by John King; 10th May 2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 10th May 2020, 01:26 PM
Friend

Default Causey Arch (again)

These are part of a set I took last week around the arch and the gorge over which it spans. Taken with my Minolta XM and prime lenses of 28, 35 and 50mm. No zooms were used to hurt these images!

1.The image with the bridge span is the one that will be obscured with tree leaves when they are fully open.
2.The one with the 'Chauldron' wagon is a replica of the type used at the time. Nominally 2.6 tons but later increased to around 4 tones load
3.Causey arch from below. This is where the builder jumped from thinking the bridge may collapse committed suicide the day before it opened. He was full of self doubt.
4.Causey burn below the arch. It is claimed to be one of the cleanest streams in the country with wild crayfish in abundance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG268 Causey Arch.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	291.6 KB
ID:	3746   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG269 Replica Chauldron Wagon.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	267.1 KB
ID:	3747   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG273 Underneath Causey Arch.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	291.9 KB
ID:	3748   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG276 Causey Burn or River Team.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	261.2 KB
ID:	3749  

Last edited by John King; 10th May 2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10th May 2020, 01:51 PM
Friend

very nice photographs, it looks a great place to spend time with your camera .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 10th May 2020, 02:03 PM
Friend

Really like the photo's, certainly better than the option of pavements and parked cars I have in my area.

Ian
Old 10th May 2020, 02:20 PM
Friend

Very nice set of photographs John you are lucky to have this near your home,
Keep safe
Richard
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies