Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th May 2010, 07:50 AM
Friend

Default Jobo CPE2

I have a CPE2 and have read several posts of people using fish tank pumps to circulate the water in the tempering bath, thus maintaining a consistent temperature. I was thinking of doing this, but I then thought that fish tank pumps are used to aerate the water as far as I know, which leads me to believe you would be adding ambient temperature air from the darkroom which would surely cool the tempering bath.
Does anybody use one here with a fish tank pump? I was thinking a small pump similar to the small ones used in garden ornamental ponds might be preferable? which would just circulate the water without adding air.

Neil
Old 14th May 2010, 08:04 AM
Friend

You can get fishtankpumps that just circulate water without aerating, I was going to get one myself for my CPE2, found a couple on ebay for under a tenner. However I recon these things are mainly useful for helping get the water up to temperature faster, whereas just the convection of the CPE's heater is sufficient to maintain the temp OK on its own.

Luckily the water as it comes out of my hot water taps is about at the right temperature for E6 so I didn't bother buying a pump in the end. I just swish the water about with my hand occasionally if need be. One less power lead to have trailing about the bathroom.
Old 14th May 2010, 08:29 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
You can get fishtankpumps that just circulate water without aerating, I was going to get one myself for my CPE2, found a couple on ebay for under a tenner. However I recon these things are mainly useful for helping get the water up to temperature faster, whereas just the convection of the CPE's heater is sufficient to maintain the temp OK on its own.

Luckily the water as it comes out of my hot water taps is about at the right temperature for E6 so I didn't bother buying a pump in the end. I just swish the water about with my hand occasionally if need be. One less power lead to have trailing about the bathroom.
As I also use the water out of my hot tap to fill the tempering bath, I don't have the heating up to do either, so possibly I don't need to get one. In my initial setting up of the CPE2 I run the processor for about 45mins and used water in the tank with just the reel (no film ) and periodically tested the water temp inside the tank which consistently kept a temp of within a quarter of a degree to 38 which seems fine. The water bath did eventually get a bit too warm after I had left it switched on for a couple of hours, but as I wouldn't normally leave it for this length of time, I don't see it will be a problem.

Neil
Old 14th May 2010, 08:52 AM
Friend

I do as DaveP does but only when filling for the first time. I normally dump after each session. Simply because it is quicker and cheaper to re-fill with water nearer the correct temp than heat up the old water from ambient temp.

Once it gets to the right temp it seems to stay there from one end to the other

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies