Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th August 2020, 10:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Having heard good things about the MG5, I thought I would give it a try so ordered 2 boxes of 9 1/2x 12, and spent some time calibrating my Analyser pro for it, and spent a happy hour or so pri8nting on it today, and I am impressed, it looks a very good paper, good deep blacks, lovely tones, faster than MG4, in fact it looks very much like a 25 year old Kentmere VC, I had calibrated my analyser when I first go it for this old Kentmere paper, and I still have the numbers in the memory, so just for fun I tried mesuring the exposure and burn times Ect for the ''new'' 5, and then switched to the settings for the Kerntmere, and everything reads exactly the same, not nearly but exactly the same exposure times, this old ( 25 or more years) kentmere vc paper was the paper that persuaded me that I could get as good looking prints on RC as on FB paper, and apart from the feel of FB paper I think that the prints look as good on this ''new'' paper, and makes me wonder, have Harman revived a old kentmere formula, whatever, I will be getting more of the paper, as said, very impressed, more so than I was with 4, which I was never completely happy with
Richard
I had the same impression on first using MG5. I also need to down grade from 3 to 2 to stop the photographs have to much contrast.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 25th August 2020, 12:38 PM
Friend

I find the same thing, the negatives I printed yesterday when I printed them last, a while ago, on MG4, according to my notes at the time, were printed at grade 3 to 3 1/2 all printed on graqde 2, and seemed more vibrant somehow,much better and this is a paper which I think I will use a lot more, also I have tried toning in sepia today and it tone exactly as old Kentmere used to, vibrantly and almost as well as FB,
Richard,

Last edited by Richard Gould; 25th August 2020 at 12:44 PM.
Old 25th August 2020, 01:10 PM
Friend

I can only find MG V as RC paper at the moment, but I presume Ilford will slowly produce FB papers with this new emulsion on it in the future?

Terry S
Old 25th August 2020, 01:50 PM
Friend

I doubt that they will bring out an fb5 fibre,it isn't not that long ago, in Ilford terms, that they came out with the MG classic, and I think the emulsion from classic and 5 is very close i n terms of speed Ect, certainly my analyser settings for both classic and 5 are pretty close, but it is just the fact that my settings for an old original, pre Harman Kentmere RC paper and they new paper from Ilford paper is identical, so much so that when I took exposure reading's for MG5, then changed channels to my old calibration for the kentmere, and every reading stayed the same for both paper's, makes me wonder,
one of these days I must check some old numbers for Kentmere fibre paper against the classic, might be interesting to see if they are close, I will dig out my old note of the Kentmere and do a check when I have a bit more time, but I do wonder if this is a new emulsion or a re born Kentmere,
Richard
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
I find the same thing, the negatives I printed yesterday when I printed them last, a while ago, on MG4, according to my notes at the time, were printed at grade 3 to 3 1/2 all printed on graqde 2, and seemed more vibrant somehow,much better and this is a paper which I think I will use a lot more, also I have tried toning in sepia today and it tone exactly as old Kentmere used to, vibrantly and almost as well as FB,
Richard,
I'm pleased to hear it tones well. I will be doing that next.
I also thought it was more vibrant it has some wonderful blacks as well.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 3rd September 2020, 04:50 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by photomi7ch View Post
I'm pleased to hear it tones well. I will be doing that next.
I also thought it was more vibrant it has some wonderful blacks as well.
I was sure I had read somewhere that Ilford has improved MGV toning ability but when I mentioned that as yet another improvement it was somewhat dismissed on Photrio so I am glad that Richard has confirmed this

Certainly as I recall matters in Tim Rudman's toning book, having seen his examples of Ilford RC toning on MGIV and his indirect comments on Ilford MGIV's toning in sepia, MGIV was a long way from top of the league

Mike
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:07 PM
Friend

Mike yes, it tones very well indeed, not like MGiv, or any other Ilford RC paper, on fact it tones as well as the pre harman Kentmere RC paper's which makes me wonder again, is it a revised or reborn Kentmere RC paper, it is as fast, in fact when testing I printed a couple of prints using the Kentmere settings on my Analysewr/pro, and comparing them to the same prints using the settings for MGV they were exactly, even the setting's for old Kentmere and MGV is the same, and it is a paper I will use more of, alongside the classic FB paper,
Richard
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:22 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard for the confirmation about the difference between the two papers, MGIV and MGV in terms of sepia toning.

Mike
Old 4th September 2020, 09:59 AM
Friend

Not sure where the idea is coming from that MG1V RC didn't tone very well. True, it was impervious to selenium toning, but it did sepia tone very nicely in Fotospeed sepia. Not that it was my favourite paper. Apart from contact printing I only used it because I was given a few boxes. My favourite RC paper is Ilford RC Warmtone, which is lovely stuff. Deep blacks in the pearl surface. This paper is transformed by sepia toning, and responds to selenium too. More expensive than MGV. I wonder how the two compare.

Alan
Old 4th September 2020, 10:45 AM
Friend

Alan my comparison is only with how the MGIV paper appears post sepia toning in Tim Rudman's book and there I am reliant on photo reproduction in a book but in comparison with other papers there it just didn't
seem to have the range of depth in sepia.

It may have been of course that Tim decided not to tone it to quite the same extent as he did with other papers but in comparison with them it looked slightly insipid in sepia.

I then saw an example of the new MGV in sepia from a contributor on Photrio and it looks pretty good, Finally Richard here chipped in as he seems to have found that MGV is better as well

So yes I wasn't saying that the old MGIV didn't tone in sepia but there appears to be some evidence that Ilford has addressed possibly the depth of toning available in the new paper and this is yet another improvement over MGIV

I agree that WT appears much better than neutral papers.

Mike
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies