Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th June 2020, 08:47 PM
Friend

Default Lens For 110 Printing, and 16mm negatives.

I have a load of 110 negatives I took in the seventies, I think.
Photography record keeping was not a strong point with me then.
I am thinking of printing a few off, and read somewhere that a 25mm enlarging lens gives the amount of magnification needed, with 50mm lens not giving much of a sized print magnification.
I have had a reasonable look around and not seen a single one.
Question.....
Would a lens taken from a redundant super/standard eight cine camera be a reasonable substitute.
Also for 16mm negatives would lens from a 16mm
cine camera be usable?
I have not got a 16mm camera but have had my interests aroused whilst looking for 110 enlarging lenses.
Cheers all.
Old 24th June 2020, 09:20 PM
Friend

You could use a cine lens, if you could find a mounting to fit your enlarger. The problem, however, is that these lenses are not designed for projection, or to produce a flat field. 110 film was very popular, so there must have been suitable lenses around, but possibly not used by people at home. Commercial processors must have had them available to print customers negatives. I had, at one time, a 35mm Rodagon, and one of my enlargers, a Durst autofocus model, came with a 28mm Componon, although it had gone by the time I acquired the enlarger.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25th June 2020, 08:37 AM
Friend

28mm f4 Componon is what I use, it has a fixed aperture as it was made for printing 110 negatives on a Pako printer I have to use a Durst Latub (approx 70mm sunk) to enable focusing on my Durst M800 enlarger.
Old 25th June 2020, 09:10 AM
Friend

The problem with using projection lenses for enlarging is that, as pointed out above, they do not necessarily provide a flat field - and there is no diaphragm, so you can't stop down to reduce apparent curvature. But a prime (non-zoom) camera lens, with a diaphragm, should work very well if you can find an adapter.

But another problem might arise - if the enlarger uses a fixed condenser, the optics will probably have been optimised for an objective (enlarging) lens with a focal length around 65mm (a compromise between 50mm and 75...80mm). At worse, this might create a distribution lacking brightness in the corners.

Beseler 23 designs use a tiny bulb, which would make focusing more critical, but allow the relative positions of the objective and lamp to be adjusted by reference to a printed scale, maintaining even illumination, while moving the objective with respect to the negative to focus.
Old 25th June 2020, 01:16 PM
Friend

If you do a search for a Minolta 30mm Enlarging Lens on that site, there are two of them available from the USA (you might have to tick Worldwide in the location tab). I don't know if the price and postage are worth it to you, but the lens itself is the first listed on the Sub-miniature forum as being suitable for printing from 110 film.
Old 25th June 2020, 01:21 PM
Friend

Thank you Joe.
My enlarger is a Durst M605and I have scanned a page from the manual.
It shows tables of the lenses and negative carriers. It looks like it will be OK with 110 and half frame negatives.
So all I have to do is look for a broken cine camera with a decent prime lens to cover the 110

http://www.film-and-darkroom-user.or...1593091274size.

Cheers.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DURST LENS AND FORMAT DATA.pdf (1.45 MB, 513 views)
Old 25th June 2020, 01:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molli View Post
If you do a search for a Minolta 30mm Enlarging Lens on that site...
There's now a couple more, with the cheapest at the moment being at £31 incl p/p:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minolta-E...YAAOSwrHNewS8w

And Molli, it's okay to say the sites name, as long as you don't say it three times in a row, in quick succession...

Terry S
Old 25th June 2020, 01:34 PM
Friend

I used my 50mm 2.8 nikkor enlarger lens ,I had loads to do and they came out great in 5x4 I also did some in 10x8 .

www.essexcockney.com
Old 25th June 2020, 01:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
There's now a couple more, with the cheapest at the moment being at £31 incl p/p:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Minolta-E...YAAOSwrHNewS8w

And Molli, it's okay to say the sites name, as long as you don't say it three times in a row, in quick succession...

Terry S
I didn't want to say it too loudly in case there was a sudden rush on enlarging lenses for small formats.
(Also, that g**gle site is following me around. It's like having a really embarrassing herald announcing my presence and preferences everywhere five seconds before I get there. )

At any rate, I hope the search terms were of some use to Nat - just to get back on track here.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies