Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 4th December 2019, 07:09 PM
Banned

Default STAR Agitator now a MK2 version

ON OFF and momentary switch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191204_161129670.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	3559  
Old 4th December 2019, 08:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannik View Post
ON OFF and momentary switch
Thanks Cannik, I can see the on/off switch which presumably simply turns it on or off but what does the green button do which I recall was always there. Is there a separate momentary switch or is it the case that one push on the green button puts it on until it is pushed again for off but if this is the case then I am not sure about the function of the new switch as the green is also an on/off switch? So yes I am confused and need some clarification

Can you say what made you modify the device and also what I want to know is: have you developed a film using the device and if so what were the results?. Can you show an example of a film that was developed using the device with some details on how much if any the time differs from normal inversion agitation or continuous rotary agitation

If you have not been able to test the device then until you have run tests it might be better to wait and make a fuller announcement then?

Thanks

Mike
Old 5th December 2019, 07:42 AM
Banned

The ON OFF turns it on off the green is the momentary switch stays on whlst held much better then the one with just the momentary switch as I can not sit there holding it

It was the magazine Photoklassik International, a magazine by Silvergrain Classics who suggested it as they are doing a review

Also Jack the Hat Photographic are retailing it, a large UK film company have been spoken to

It was suggested by a number of people I have been speaking with who have arthritis in the hands and wrists who wanted it

Please remember as a small (just 2) startup it is my Autistic son who also has PTSD who designed it, he is 25 and never worked due to his Autism (can't get work)

The hardest part is sourcing materials, from UK based companies and not cheap Chinese parts. It could have been made for a lot less if cheap cases, motors, battery boxes had been used but being built in Wales that was not on.

At least it has been registered with the Intellectual Property Office UK before going public ( that was an unexpected cost )

No I can not show a negative for two reasons, first anything can be made to look good, after all every new washing powder is whiter than the last !!!, second asking me to do that is not possible as I am not as qualified as proper film users and have just returned to film after 40 years.

Many sincere thanks for asking.

Last edited by Anon01; 5th December 2019 at 08:00 AM.
Old 5th December 2019, 12:26 PM
Friend

Thanks, Cannik. So if you press the green button it starts the device and the device remains on until you remove your finger from the green button?

I couldn't see any sign of it on the Jack The Hat site. I assume it will be under Darkroom. Can you say which section it is listed under? I had thought that you had the means of developing film as you have set up a darkroom so I has assumed that the print of the church you showed us was from a negative you had developed yourself. I recall your video on the problem with AP reels and film loading so that combined with the print just made me assume that you had the means of developing film

As you haven't been able to try the device out, has anyone done so? I'd have thought that Jack The Hat would have wanted proof that it does "what it says on the tin" as the saying goes. It may be that he has tested it but I don't know

Thanks

Mike
Old 5th December 2019, 12:56 PM
Friend

Quote:
Also Jack the Hat Photographic are retailing it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I couldn't see any sign of it on the Jack The Hat site. I assume it will be under Darkroom.

Mike
I couldn't find it on their site either, despite using their search box a few times using different words, as well as trawling through just about every section on their website.

The seem to have a lot of stuff, but are no good to me as they only stock Ilford pan film and NO darkroom paper at all, despite selling darkroom kits, enlargers and a few chemicals...?

Terry S
Old 5th December 2019, 01:55 PM
Friend

Quote:
Thanks Cannik, I can see the on/off switch which presumably simply turns it on or off...

...also what I want to know is: have you developed a film using the device and if so what were the results?. Can you show an example of a film that was developed using the device...

If you have not been able to test the device then until you have run tests it might be better to wait and make a fuller announcement then?

Thanks

Mike
Quote:
It was the magazine Photoklassik International, a magazine by Silvergrain Classics who suggested it as they are doing a review

Also Jack the Hat Photographic are retailing it...

...it is my Autistic son who also has PTSD who designed it, he is 25 and never worked due to his Autism (can't get work)

At least it has been registered with the Intellectual Property Office UK before going public ( that was an unexpected cost )

No I can not show a negative for two reasons, first anything can be made to look good, after all every new washing powder is whiter than the last !!!, second asking me to do that is not possible as I am not as qualified as proper film users and have just returned to film after 40 years.
Quote:
I couldn't see any sign of it on the Jack The Hat site. I assume it will be under Darkroom. Can you say which section it is listed under? I had thought that you had the means of developing film as you have set up a darkroom so I has assumed that the print of the church you showed us was from a negative you had developed yourself.

As you haven't been able to try the device out, has anyone done so?

Thanks

Mike
A few points and questions please... I hope I remember them all having just lost a longer typed message somehow...

Anyway, I too can't find it anywhere on the Jack the Hat site. This is despite using their search box with a number of various words, as well as manually going through just about all of the site manually, one section at a time.

I also have the 'Photoklassik International' magazines, so I will try and look through them later on to see what their review says exactly.

You also say that you have had the device, '...registered with the Intellectual Property Office UK before going public...' Well, I'm sure they were quite happy to take your money, but from your description, I don't understand what you think is patentable? Do you seriously think that adding a further on / off button to an already available device is patentable? And saying that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if one already exists out there in China ebay-land.

It also seems a bit of a lame excuse about not showing us a set of negs / a print done with this device - if you have actually used it to do so??? Saying that you're not as '...qualified as proper film users and have just returned to film after 40 years' really doesn't mean very much. You seemed quite keen to show us work previously, however the negs and prints were done. It's okay, we accept that you've just returned to doing it, but you can obviously do it and all we are asking for specifically is at least a few negatives developed with the item you seem to keen to mention (before disappearing and not following up the first post) on this site twice and another site at least once, as far as I know...

As for your son, who you said 'designed' this unit and is '...25 and never worked due to his Autism (can't get work)', can I suggest that you / him, look at volunteering positions?

I too am medically unable to work due to a road traffic accident, complex pain syndrome and depression amongst other things, but I volunteer at TWO places, a few times a week, plus the odd extra day here and there, whenever I am able.

It is whilst doing the volunteering, that I have seen peoples general health etc improve. Personally I have recently managed to finish a photography degree and I have seen many others with autism and many other mental illnesses, go on to further education or even work, so I'd seriously think about it as autism is not the end of the world and people are willing to help if asked.

Please note that we are not trying to interrogate you, but you really need to back up your various claims, otherwise there is not much point in just generally putting out one liners and pictures and then disappearing to a different post and not returning, as that doesn't help anyone!

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 5th December 2019 at 01:58 PM.
Old 5th December 2019, 01:57 PM
Friend

I have just been over the Jack the Hat site and not a mentipn, Which large UK film company are you speaking to? the only one I can think of is Ilford/Harman
Richard
Old 5th December 2019, 05:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
I couldn't find it on their site either, despite using their search box a few times using different words, as well as trawling through just about every section on their website.

The seem to have a lot of stuff, but are no good to me as they only stock Ilford pan film and NO darkroom paper at all, despite selling darkroom kits, enlargers and a few chemicals...?

Terry S
MY apologies, we only shipped today sincere apologies, they should have them listed from next week.

Again sorry

Old 5th December 2019, 05:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
A few points and questions please... I hope I remember them all having just lost a longer typed message somehow...

Anyway, I too can't find it anywhere on the Jack the Hat site. This is despite using their search box with a number of various words, as well as manually going through just about all of the site manually, one section at a time.

I also have the 'Photoklassik International' magazines, so I will try and look through them later on to see what their review says exactly.

You also say that you have had the device, '...registered with the Intellectual Property Office UK before going public...' Well, I'm sure they were quite happy to take your money, but from your description, I don't understand what you think is patentable? Do you seriously think that adding a further on / off button to an already available device is patentable? And saying that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if one already exists out there in China ebay-land.

It also seems a bit of a lame excuse about not showing us a set of negs / a print done with this device - if you have actually used it to do so??? Saying that you're not as '...qualified as proper film users and have just returned to film after 40 years' really doesn't mean very much. You seemed quite keen to show us work previously, however the negs and prints were done. It's okay, we accept that you've just returned to doing it, but you can obviously do it and all we are asking for specifically is at least a few negatives developed with the item you seem to keen to mention (before disappearing and not following up the first post) on this site twice and another site at least once, as far as I know...

As for your son, who you said 'designed' this unit and is '...25 and never worked due to his Autism (can't get work)', can I suggest that you / him, look at volunteering positions?

I too am medically unable to work due to a road traffic accident, complex pain syndrome and depression amongst other things, but I volunteer at TWO places, a few times a week, plus the odd extra day here and there, whenever I am able.

It is whilst doing the volunteering, that I have seen peoples general health etc improve. Personally I have recently managed to finish a photography degree and I have seen many others with autism and many other mental illnesses, go on to further education or even work, so I'd seriously think about it as autism is not the end of the world and people are willing to help if asked.

Please note that we are not trying to interrogate you, but you really need to back up your various claims, otherwise there is not much point in just generally putting out one liners and pictures and then disappearing to a different post and not returning, as that doesn't help anyone!

Terry S

I am not going to use this form as free advertising

I suggest you check it out as you would anything else when on sale at Jack The Hat

"before disappearing and not following up the first post) on this site twice and another site at least once, as far as I know..."

I refuse to explain myself to you as there are reasons that are no business of yours as to why I do/don't do something

"can I suggest that you / him, look at volunteering positions?"

You have no business telling anyone on this planet what to do so mind your own business. I retired two years ago at 60 and my son is working on this with the help of Business Wales so keep your unfounded comments to yourself this is a photo forum, and NOT your soapbox.

There is much you have NO right to know to keep comments off the forum.

" I have seen many others with autism and many other mental illnesses, go on to further education or even work, so I'd seriously think about it as autism is not the end of the world and people are willing to help if asked."

In the Integrated Autism Service meetings people like you make us laugh as the arrogant, self opinionated people you are, you have NO idea about Aspergers yet happily talk rubbish, yes we laugh.

Over 700,000 people in UK are autistic, which means that 2.8m people have a relative on the autism spectrum and you have not the skill/expertise to comment on even one.

Finally done today, when I FELT like doing them, yes, mental illness you dare question, FELT like doing them, I say publically you are a fool, if you had the slightest idea of mental illness you would not even question why a person does/not do something, perhaps I, daily, every minute consider what I do worthless and not worth posting OK

"It also seems a bit of a lame excuse about not showing us a set of negs"

Again perhaps I, daily, every minute consider what I do worthless, as a person and a human, I suggest you need a reality check and watch, have you bothered to "think" before commenting, no, to provide fresh negatives I have to take photographs, to take photographs I have to go out, to go out I need to plan my day to the minute AUTISM where, when, traffic, can my son come with me, where, is it away from people,, between 10am and 1pm, do I feel up to it, when I finally come home, am I ok, debilitated "AUTISM", can I, not will I but can I develop them, scared to, feeling inadequate so why bother, and then we meet people like you ??????????????????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ7Nku_pFXc

Last edited by Anon01; 5th December 2019 at 05:44 PM.
Old 5th December 2019, 05:41 PM
Friend

So much for trying to actually help some one!

I have things that I could reply but won't. I'll just say that you're not on my ignore list.

Terry S
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies