Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th May 2020, 04:43 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Neil,
My mistake. I thought Dave was after a RC warmtone paper for general printing. I didn't realise he wanted it for lith printing.
I have been looking at the very nice lith prints on your website. I have never done lith printing and wish I had given it a go when the materials were readily available.

Alan

Alan,

Ilford WT FB is one of my favourite papers - the RC version has the same emulsion (so I was told) but on an RC base.

This a great paper for printing and toning but alas it is not very good in lith - going from the eaxamples I've seen and personal experience.

Thanks for you kind comments on the lith prints I have on my website. It certainly was a lot easier when there were a good selection of papers to wotk with but it has always been an unpedictable process. I found the subjects I initially thought wouldn't work in lith turned out to make good lith prints!

The other lith problem we have now is the lack of lith developers with only Moersch (I believe) still producing them.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 19th May 2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 19th May 2020, 05:06 PM
Friend

There is also a Rollei lith developer,availadle from Firstcall, 2 500ml bottles, I have not used it but a friend of mine in Guernsey (Our sister Island) has used it with Retrobrom and swears by it
Richard
Old 19th May 2020, 05:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
There is also a Rollei lith developer,availadle from Firstcall, 2 500ml bottles, I have not used it but a friend of mine in Guernsey (Our sister Island) has used it with Retrobrom and swears by it
Richard
Many thanks Richard for giving the Rollei lith dev a mention. I am sure it will be a useful item for those interested in lith printing - especially now that the FotoSpeed lith dev has gone.

Fortunately I am still working my way through 5 liters of Kodak Lith developer Richard Ross kindly gave me some years ago - it'll no doubt see me out!

Neil.,

Neil Souch
Old 19th May 2020, 06:03 PM
Friend

I wonder how the new Ilford RC MGV liths? The ability to take lith may not be one that Ilford was able to do anything about when it produced RC MGV but has anyone tried to do lith with it?

I have made the assumption that the comments about poor lith quality apply to only RC MGIV but this may be an unwarranted assumption on my part

Thanks

Mike
Old 19th May 2020, 07:11 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I wonder how the new Ilford RC MGV liths? The ability to take lith may not be one that Ilford was able to do anything about when it produced RC MGV but has anyone tried to do lith with it?

I have made the assumption that the comments about poor lith quality apply to only RC MGIV but this may be an unwarranted assumption on my part

Thanks

Mike

Mike,

The post was originally about Foma 331/332 WT RC paper - but Ilfrord WT RC was sugested as an alternative.

The Foma 331/332 WT RC paper was a very special paper that lithed well but for some reason Foma discountinued the paper. Unfortunately, Foma didn't say why!

Also, AFAIK, the only paper now sold as lithable, or suitable for bromoil, is the new Foma FB Retrobrom.

Of course you can try to lith anything and use any trick to get a lith look - as always with art - if you like what you are creating - keep going! But this can be hard and expensive work.

As always - You pays your penny and you makes your choice

From where I sit the new Foma Retrobrom looks the best bet at the moment. That's said assuming you are unable to find a supply of the old lithable papers.

Neil.

Neil Souch

Last edited by B&W Neil; 19th May 2020 at 07:14 PM.
Old 20th May 2020, 11:49 AM
Friend

There is of course the option to try making up one of the many formulas of Lith developer out there. I've tried a couple, with little success, but as said, it's down to the paper being lithable as well.

As for Ilford's new version V paper, there is a guy on Photrio who is working towards making an easy formula for making ones own lith developer, that works with Ilford's paper being high on his priority list and he seems to be getting there. I've printed out a load of stuff that he's done so far and may give his current formula a go.

https://www.photrio.com/forum/thread...papers.171785/

https://grainy.vision/blog/hammering...dern-rc-papers

Terry S
Old 20th May 2020, 11:54 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
Take it while you can (Foma factory store) https://fomaobchod.cz/en/blackwhitep...fomatonemg331/
And just checking Miha's link out, it seems that they only sell the paper in one size = approx 10" x 12", in packets of 10 sheets...?

I don't think they realise that they may have a very saleable product there and should maybe supply other sizes as well.

Terry S
Old 20th May 2020, 12:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
And just checking Miha's link out, it seems that they only sell the paper in one size = approx 10" x 12", in packets of 10 sheets...?

I don't think they realise that they may have a very saleable product there and should maybe supply other sizes as well.

Terry S
It is a discontinued product, all that is left. No more master rolls to cut other sizes from.

(Btw, 30x40 cm equals 12'x16')
Old 21st May 2020, 12:16 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miha View Post
It is a discontinued product, all that is left. No more master rolls to cut other sizes from.

(Btw, 30x40 cm equals 12'x16')
Thanks for the correction Miha and now it seems even more of a shame about other sizes, as the paper is being discontinued... (I think maybe an upset emoji should go here btw.)

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies