Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 29th November 2019, 04:42 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Film Price Increase Jan 2020

It would appear from a Kodak Alaris announcement given on what I assume to be a camera store in Europe(probably Germany with the use of a K in camera) that KA will increase prices from Jan 2020

The link was provided on Photrio by Tom Kershaw who is a member

There may be few of us who use Kodak films but just in case be warned

I couldn't see any mention of a percentage nor in the last analysis that the increase is definitely applicable to U.K. retailers but it would look to be universal

Perhaps Tom will chime in and certainly an announcement from one of our sponsors such as Matt from AgPhotographic would be helpful

Mike
Old 29th November 2019, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Details here...

https://kamerastore.com/breaking-new...-2020-jan-1st/
Old 29th November 2019, 05:57 PM
Friend

as a Ilford user lets hope that they don't follow suit
Old 29th November 2019, 07:14 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
as a Ilford user lets hope that they don't follow suit
I agree, Paul, and in b&w film I can see KA pricing themselves out of the U.K. b&w market almost entirely if Ilford do not follow suit.

Mike
Old 29th November 2019, 07:34 PM
Friend

Default Ilford pricing

Is it a case of Kodak jumping on the band wagon with increased sales over the past year. Some of their prices are eye watering now. Not so much the new Ektachrome (which is bad enough) but bread and butter film like Tri X for instance.

Steady as it goes Ilford.
Old 29th November 2019, 08:48 PM
Friend

I haven't bought Kodak products for a long time now. I would buy their B&W films, particularly in 4x5, but who can afford them? I'm surprised that they have retained any level of sales given the already high prices in the U.K. I can't imagine the damage a price increase will do. Why would you spend extra for T-max and Tri-X when films of comparable quality are available for less money?
I thought recently about trying a Super8 cartridge of the new Ektachrome, but at around £54, I can't really justify it.
Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 29th November 2019, 11:49 PM
Friend

I have no figures to substantiate what I am about to say but my impression from what I have seen of "good news" for Kodak is that it is mainly tied up with C41 colour and to a lesser extend its new slide film. Fuji I feel has helped Kodak by some strange behaviour in the colour world which it looked to rule only a few short years ago

B&w film on the other hand figures much less in Kodak's economic future. It made a decision to price its film the way it did some time ago and I see no evidence that it feels any need to be competitive in either the b&w world or for the reason of having a bigger range now than Fuji in C41 either

Two things work in its favour in what I suspect is still by far the biggest film market in the world, namely the U.S.

1. In the U.S. there is still a residual love of Kodak because it is an American company and all Kodak has to do is to give signs of returning the U.S. buyer's previously unrequited love by giving signs of wanting to "fight back" when it was nearly at death's door and appeared to be resigned to die

2. I suspect that its price relationship in the U.S. with non Kodak film makers such as Ilford is quite different to what we see in the U.K. with Ilford where the latter is much more competitive. Unfortunately we and the rest of Europe are "small beer". Ilford unfortunately needs the biggest film market as well so has to maintain an edge on Kodak. The U.S. b&w film users give thanks to Ilford for keeping b&w film alive but once the U.S. first love called Kodak shows signs of returning that love then Ilford may be a "short fling " kind of relationship

I strongly suspect that "Make America Great Again" is a saying that reverberates with more Americans than said Americans want to admit to but they will salute the Stars and Stripes if they see the slightest signs that it salutes them. This applies to film as much as anything else American

Mike
Old 30th November 2019, 08:26 AM
Friend

Like John it is many tears since I bought Kodak film, I was once a big user if Yri X in both 35mm and 129, but it just kept going up in price to the exteny yjay it was simply not eccomic any mpre, then I started using Fomapan, which is simoler in liiks to the Original tri X, I wpuld have loved to use some Kodak film today, but It is way out my budget now, so with another price hike, I have a feeling that their market share will decrease, especialy as Fuji have bought back across and are bringing back another color print film
Richard
Old 30th November 2019, 10:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I haven't bought Kodak products for a long time now. I would buy their B&W films, particularly in 4x5, but who can afford them? I'm surprised that they have retained any level of sales given the already high prices in the U.K. I can't imagine the damage a price increase will do. Why would you spend extra for T-max and Tri-X when films of comparable quality are available for less money?
I thought recently about trying a Super8 cartridge of the new Ektachrome, but at around £54, I can't really justify it.
Alex.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Is that PLUS processing or inc.

Old 30th November 2019, 11:18 AM
Friend

That’s the film only price. Processing is £20.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies