Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th February 2011, 03:01 PM
Friend

Default Warm paper/cold developer?

Well, I had Ilford Cooltone mixed up and some fiber paper, the identity of which is a mystery, and everything was going well.

Then I decided to use a known paper and pulled a sheet of Ilford Warm tone out. Aside from wanting to use a better and known paper for the print I was a bit curious as to what the cold tone developer would look like and I got quite a surprise. The print was quite cold as I thought would be likely but the surprise was how the development seemed to ... err ... develop. From three minutes in the developer with the other paper I had to resort to eight minutes when using this warm tone/cold tone combination, and the print looked under-developed. It seemed that the high contrast parts progressed normally while the softer parts (I used split grade) didn't want to show themselves. Even on a second print where I used much much more time under filter 00, the print didn't want to build any density in the bright areas.

Is this something normal? I wonder if someone who knows more about the chemistry of all of this can tell me if this is to be expected and how it all works. For now I guess I should just avoid this combo but I'm curious about it just the same.

It amazes me how many variables there are in sucessful darkroom practices. How am I ever going to lean it all!!
Old 16th February 2011, 05:44 PM
Friend

Pavel, sad to say that it may not be a problem for much longer as Ilford stopped making the CT dev quite some time ago and stocks must be diminishing rapidly.

I have seen lots of threads on WT/CT paper in combination with WT/CT dev and can't recall seeing similar comments to yours. So a long way of saying I can't help with any answer.

For what it is worth I wouldn't waste what remains of your Ilford CT dev on WT paper. It did an amazing job with CT paper, giving really good cold tones.

Pity that CT dev wasn't more popular. For the right subjects CT dev and CT paper combination was excellent.

Mike
Old 16th February 2011, 10:04 PM
Friend

One of the coldest "off the shelf" developers available today is Tetenal Documol. I also used Doculith when I was given a bottle free and it was positively arctic. However, I've not seen it advertised for some time.
Old 17th February 2011, 07:27 PM
Friend

I have used/still use Ilford Cooltone Dev with MGFB WT paper

I don't have a problem with either the highlights or shaddows.

CT Dev was made some years ago and I have read odd reports of it coming to the end of its useful life

It sounds like yours has deceased.

I have a few bottles left and having saved them for "a rainy day", I am having to start using them up before they stop working.

Martin
Old 17th February 2011, 07:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Twiss View Post
One of the coldest "off the shelf" developers available today is Tetenal Documol. I also used Doculith when I was given a bottle free and it was positively arctic. However, I've not seen it advertised for some time.
Process Supplies of London have it in stock.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:28 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Process Supplies of London have it in stock.
Great doculith is the coldest developer I have ever seen. It used to turn Forte Polywarmtone cool.
Old 17th February 2011, 08:40 PM
Friend

I have looked and seen Documol at Process Supplies but not Doculith under Tetenal Paper Developers. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place?

Mike
Old 18th February 2011, 08:50 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I have looked and seen Documol at Process Supplies but not Doculith under Tetenal Paper Developers. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place?

Mike
Not necessarily, it could be my error, give them a ring.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies