Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th December 2021, 01:23 PM
Friend

Default C41 Remjet remover

Please note that I know nothing about and don't do C41 processing.

But, I have read a lot by people that do, and from memory the removal of Remjet is often brought up as being difficult. The seller states:

'...method for dealing with colour motion picture films…ie Kodak Vision3 and Fuji Eterna stocks.

It is aimed at people already processing colour film at home and is a “bolt-on” to your existing C41 kits.

Nik & Trick’s ECN2 Pre-Wash 300ml….the MOST effective Remjet removal method there is.'

So, based on the above, the following product may be of use to some:

https://ntphotoworks.com/product/the...-a-c41-add-on/

***And anyone who reads this and the link and understands the products purpose, please advise others if this is of use or not.

Many thanks,

Terry S
Old 20th December 2021, 02:37 PM
Friend

Hi Terry. I’m sure this will be of interest to others. I have some of the Kodak film. It is colour negative material, designed for making movies. It has a special coating, a bit like the anti-halation coating on normal films, but it doesn’t simply wash out during processing. It has to be chemically stripped. If you use the proper processing kit (ECN2), you don’t need this product. It is possible to use C41chemistry, and this extra chemical removes the Remjet. I have used the last version of it with C41 processing, and it wasn’t 100% effective, but this seems to be an improved formula. I would give it a go, but I have N&Ts ECN2 kit in stock, so will use that next.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 21st December 2021, 03:37 PM
Friend

My experience is dated but I recollect that remjet removal required mechanical rubbing or wiping. Was there always a chemical means of removal?
Old 21st December 2021, 08:12 PM
Friend

I don’t know, Jonathon. There’s quite a lot of chat about it on the internet, and I’m sure some articles I’ve read mention scrubbing it off. I found that the chemical didn’t remove it completely, but rubbing the wet film helped get it all off.
I assume that the movie industry labs used a machine processor that was designed to deal with removal as part of the process. I have only ever used amateur, small-gauge movie stock which, as you will know, was generally reversal material.
This colour negative film was available in Super8, but I never used it until I bought some bulk 35mm to use in still cameras.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 22nd December 2021, 04:13 PM
Friend

I have removed remote when processing Kodachrome as B&W but it was quite a while ago. I do have the NT product but have not used it yet, I think I used a solution based on Sodium Sulphate but can't find the info at the moment.

David
Old 28th December 2021, 03:31 PM
Friend

Default Remjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOReynolds View Post
My experience is dated but I recollect that remjet removal required mechanical rubbing or wiping. Was there always a chemical means of removal?
That is as far as I know, partially correct. It is one of the steps at least used in Kodachrome processing, which was another block on unauthorised outside labs being able to process KC.
Old 29th December 2021, 05:27 PM
Friend

Remjet removal was incorporated into a motion-picture processor that I studied in the early 70s and consisted of a pre-bath and a nozzle that directed a flat flow at the back of the film. I believe that the processor was French or Italian, built at a time when the governments of both countries were encouraging local manufacture to supply their subsidised movie industries for cultural promotion. Manfrotto (Italy) and Gitzo (France) still manufacture tripods. Lumičre and Bergger now exist only as brands but Ferrania is hoping to restart coating soon.
Sorry - I'm forever drifting off the present topic.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies