Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 25th April 2022, 07:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Talking from personal experiance, Jersey is not a part of the EU, and everything I buy from within the EU, including the UK, and for my photography I buy everything mail order, it is dispatched vat free, so from that surely imports to the UK after brexit, should be vat free from the country of origin should be sent without paying vat? not sure how it works in the UK, but we do not pay GST,( our version of VAT, which, I might add we pay 4%gst on everything we buy, food clothes newspapers and magazines, everything we buy here is taxed at 4%,) but we can buy in from outside the Island, up to £250 without paying any tax, either VAT from country of origin or the local GST,
Richard
I remember that buying colour film at the best prices in the 1990s resulted in a parcel arriving from Jersey. Maybe that route is still favourable for the rest of the UK? Surprised if no-one is exploiting it.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 26th April 2022, 08:10 PM
Friend

Minimum orders since Brexit work in both directions.

I have just been looking at the Billingham Bags site and at the top of the page is a notice that they will not complete orders to the EU for under £165 .

Cheers.
Old 27th April 2022, 05:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
I am often tempted to buy cameras from America or Japan but the import taxes ...
Brexit has had no effect on import duties from outside the EU. And neither Japan nor the US were in the EU,
Old 3rd June 2022, 05:28 PM
Friend

Default Import Duties

When I was in the army in Germany (long before we were members of the EU) we were allowed to purchase good from the German market tax free so long as they were to be re-exported with us when we were posted. The saving of the German VAT at the time was 12%. We would have been liable for tax on importing it back into UK, but I don't recall ever having to pay anything on what we brought back.

There is a photographic company in Deft (I mentioned it a few months ago Fotohandel Delft) and they have some quite nice items for Bronica Sq models such as lenses and spare film backs,items that are getting a little rare in UK They are priced in Euro's but numerically around the same level as Euro's for £'s Sterling or around 12% cheaper when converted.

I contacted HMRC and via their helpline so long as the goods were 'used' AKA second hand, I could import items up to £390 providing they were for my own use and I personally brought them in myself.
As my son lives in The Hague which is not far from Delft that is a good excuse to visit (not that I need one anyway)
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies