Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th April 2022, 11:09 PM
Friend

Default Another bastion of film Photography may have gone

I have been trying to contact RK Photographic which is in Hertfordshire and the Website comes back 'unable to connect'. Their listed telephone number 01303 487156 rings once then disconnects.
Old 28th April 2022, 11:41 PM
Friend

When I click on RK Photographic it says it cannot connect me to the site which might indicate an internet problem but being unable to contact it on a phone as well does suggest that the problem may lie deeper than this

Dismal Jimmy here fears that the unprecedented rise in the cost of living combined with the massive rise in colour film prices and what seems to be real problems with Kodak paper and chemicals is bound to cause problems of a chain reaction nature which eventually manifests itself in retailers going out of business

Mike
Old 29th April 2022, 06:52 AM
Friend

I don't think this is an internet connection problem, It has been like this for a week or so (to my knowledge). The 'phone cutting off was another worrying time.
Old 29th April 2022, 07:18 AM
Friend

RK Photographic has/had changed direction under new ownership, Roy's father was involved with Harringey Photographic Supplies, which is also where Martin Reed of Silverprint began his career, so he had a deep knowledge of the market when he set the company up.

Other companies like Robert White & Silverprint also changed once their founders left.

Ian
Old 29th April 2022, 08:11 AM
Friend

RK Photographic is listed as having dissolved in September 2020; and its two then directors show dates of birth in 1952.
Old 29th April 2022, 08:17 AM
Friend

I have just got through to them on the 'phone. There is currently an issue with the website. I offered to pass that information on to FADU.
Old 29th April 2022, 08:49 AM
Friend

I have just done the same, and got the good news they are still with us, but didn't have the part for my enlarger I needed.
Old 29th April 2022, 08:52 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
RK Photographic is listed as having dissolved in September 2020; and its two then directors show dates of birth in 1952.
That may have been when they were based in an industrial site Their current shop is in what looks like a small arcade so perhaps it was dissolved then reformed and moved into a town.
Old 29th April 2022, 02:31 PM
Friend

Well, thank goodness that it stays as a website problem and not a collapse of the RK. However if it has been down for a week and is still down which it is then this is still worrying when it hasn't been fixed

Mike
Old 1st May 2022, 06:48 PM
Administrator

They may have let their domain name expire. From whois:

Quote:
Registration status:
Renewal required.

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 20-Apr-1999
Expiry date: 20-Apr-2022
Last updated: 25-Apr-2022
You generally have a few weeks to re-register a domain if it expires, so hopefully all is well.

Currently, the DNS records are all pointing at "domainhasexpired.com" (which is why we can't access the website - it is not being pointed at anymore). domainhasexpired.com is owned by GoDaddy. I hope this is legit just GoDaddy protecting the domain from cybersquatters if RK registered the domain with them, but I would not trust GoDaddy as far as I could throw the Eiffel Tower, so we will have to wait and see.

Last edited by Bob; 1st May 2022 at 06:53 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies