Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th May 2022, 06:58 PM
Friend

Modern tech and modern travel is not considerate of "filmers" There may be a film revival or so they say but the needs of those who use film are considered as a very low to non existent priority in my opinion

There is allegedly an understanding now between the Department of Transport and U.K. airports as stated by Ilford that a request for hand inspection will be expected to be granted. However this does not have the strength of law to the best of my knowledge and is only an understanding so in the last analysis it depends on the attitude of the head of airport security in whatever U.K. airport you leave from

It is not clear to me nor has it ever been what the EU's official position is in all of this. There is limited anecdotal evidence that some travellers have been successful in getting hand inspections in EU airports I don't think I have heard either way about success or failure in getting a hand inspection at U.K. airports

What is clear is that Ilford and I think Kodak carried out tests with the newer CT scanner that gave them enough evidence that no film was safe even for one pass

Eventually and likely quite soon, all but the most minor airports will adopt the new scanners

Mike
Old 7th June 2022, 01:23 PM
Friend

I have flown from Edinburgh to Berlin and back this past week. I took a selection of 35mm film (C41, CineStill and Ilford B&W) which was stored in a plastic film case in my hand luggage. It all went through scanners twice. I have developed a roll of Ilford SFX this morning, and it is fine. I’m pleased, but annoyed that I didn’t take advantage of reasonably priced Kodak and Fuji film available in Berlin. It is a good bit cheaper than here, and there seemed to be plenty available. It would have been an expensive gamble, however, if it had all been fogged.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 7th June 2022, 04:53 PM
Friend

Alex, was it the new CT scanners at both airports? It is those that Ilford and I think the other film manufacturers claim are unsafe for any film?

Mike
Old 7th June 2022, 05:59 PM
Friend

I don’t know, Mike. Edinburgh is a major international airport, and Berlin Willy Brandt has just opened, so I would expect both to have the latest equipment.
Alex

Old 7th June 2022, 06:51 PM
Friend

OK Thanks Alex

Mike
Old 7th June 2022, 07:34 PM
Friend

Alex, am I right in assuming that of your films you have currently only developed the SFX and the rest remain to be developed

If so a report on the rest will be helpful. It tends to throw the whole assertion by Ilford of inevitable damage up in the air

Mike
Old 8th June 2022, 10:00 AM
Friend

Will do, Mike. The SFX was already 5 years beyond expiry, but showed no fog in the unexposed film base. The other films are colour negative, the faster one being 500. I’m not expecting them to be fogged.
I’m travelling again this week, using two different airports. I’ll try to look for names on the scanners.
Alex.

Old 8th June 2022, 11:40 AM
Friend

That's great Alex. As far as I know the latest, allegedly film fogging, scanners are called CT scanners. There's even a picture of one at Edinburgh bu I think it was one taken by a journalist/photographer from the Scotsman as that was where I picked up the 2019 article saying that in Nov 2019 Edinburgh was trialling the new scanners for hand luggage inspection

Mike
Old 8th June 2022, 03:26 PM
Friend

If it is any help Alex, Ilfrd in its statement about CT scanners list some as follows:

Smiths – CTIX
L3 – Clearscan
Rapiscan - 920CT / Connect CT
IDSS - Detect 1000
Nuctech - Kylin
Analogic Cobra

Mike
Old 9th June 2022, 07:26 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
There is allegedly an understanding now between the Department of Transport and U.K. airports as stated by Ilford that a request for hand inspection will be expected to be granted. However this does not have the strength of law to the best of my knowledge and is only an understanding so in the last analysis it depends on the attitude of the head of airport security in whatever U.K. airport you leave from.
Mike
Mike this may not be strictly correct.

Under the provisions of S1 of the Criminal Damage Act 1971.

1) A person who without lawful excuse destroys or damages any property belonging to another intending to destroy or damage any such property or being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence.

Let us look at

'Without Lawful excuse'.

They have a duty to examine any package for dangerous articles which are prohibited from being carried, that is without question. However if you request a hand search and they are MADE AWARE of what the reason is then they ignore your request the 3rd provision of the section comes into affect:-

'being reckless as to whether any such property would be destroyed or damaged shall be guilty of an offence'

It is not only my interpretation but one from a friendly but totally unbiased solicitor (My daughter in law) Of course this would only apply in UK airports (and possibly only those of England and Wales because Scots and Ulster law differs) What the law is abroad I cannot say.

Last edited by John King; 9th June 2022 at 07:37 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies