Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2016, 07:01 PM
Friend

Default looking after you gear over winter

I keep most of my camera gear in a glass fronted cabinet its about 6ft tall ,I do what I can to keep them in good condition but a little while ago I saw a youtube programme about keeping moisture and mould of your cameras and they were using silica gel dessicant making holes in tin boxes and filled them with silica gel and store it with there camera gear ,anyway I bought a 1 kg bag ,I have some little short clear plastic bottles I made loads of little holes in them I filled half way with dessicant screwed the lid back and I have put two on each shelf ,when they get wet they go dark green almost black they were in my cabinet for two weeks and they went dark green ,so there was quite a bit of damp getting in and on my camera gear ...By the way if you want to get the moister out of the silica dessicant I put them in a Pyrex bowl on full power in my microwave for about ten minutes or when they go a light honey colour ,let them cool and use again ...

www.essexcockney.com
Old 19th November 2016, 07:52 PM
Friend

Avoid shelves & cabinets attached to exterior walls or unused chimney-breasts - Both of these are often damper than internal walls, especially if they are solid brick walls.
Old 20th November 2016, 12:30 AM
Friend

Based on my relative humidity reading in the hygrometer part of my barometer it seems that humidity in the U.K. is relatively high especially in the winter. Despite this I haven't noticed any signs of damp but I keep all my camera equipment in the house which is centrally heated and this, I think, helps to reduce relative humidity

I do keep film in the fridge but the rest of the equipment stays in a secret place which I will not reveal

Well OK, the angry villagers with the flaming torches I mentioned in my last thread on the best film developer have now surrounded me so the secret place is the set of drawers in my bedroom which I fill with thermal underwear It is true but I have added a laughing smilie as it sounds comical.

I suspect that the relative humidity in a house with central heating is probably OK but any storage in "outhouses" or non heated areas for want of a better word might be problematical. Dessicant sachets are good and worthwhile on the "better safe than sorry" maxim.

Just as a matter of interest my relative humidity is about 70%, what is yours? Thanks.
Mike
Old 20th November 2016, 09:18 AM
Friend

Default Storage

All my important equipment, cameras/lenses/batteries etc., are kept where it always lives - in an understair cupboard with a door from the living room which of course is heated.

Thinking about it, it couldn't be more central and away from any outside wall and is bone dry. My permenant darkroom is in what was the spare bedroom, again heated and is bounded the party wall betwen my house and next door.

So I don't think I have any problem.
Old 20th November 2016, 09:24 AM
Friend

I keep mine in a cupboard designed for crafters. Has shelves made to take plastic storeage boxes with lids, which help keeps it all dust free and tidy

It sits pretty central in the house away from outer walls etc, like Mike I have not noticed a problem.

According to my weather app, humidity is 90%, it's just stopped raining

Ian
Old 20th November 2016, 09:58 AM
Friend

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post

secret place is the set of drawers in my bedroom which I fill with thermal underwear
Mike
Far, far to much information Mike!
Old 20th November 2016, 02:01 PM
Friend

I made the mistake around 1989/90 of storing some of my vintage cameras in a dry cellar during the winter, I thought no more about them. Unfortunately the cellar suffered badly from condensation in the Summer and I lost everything, luckily nothing was particularly valuable. Taught me a lesson.

Ian
Old 20th November 2016, 05:22 PM
Friend

I have a table in the corner of the lounge, against an inside wall, where I keep all of my classic cameras, all without a case, they keep fine over winter, We have electric heating, no problems with condensation Etc, never had a problem in a number of years, luckily I have a very understanding wife, plus she is a very keen photographer,
Richard
Old 21st November 2016, 03:38 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I keep most of my camera gear in a glass fronted cabinet its about 6ft tall ,I do what I can to keep them in good condition but a little while ago I saw a youtube programme about keeping moisture and mould of your cameras and they were using silica gel dessicant making holes in tin boxes and filled them with silica gel and store it with there camera gear ,anyway I bought a 1 kg bag ,I have some little short clear plastic bottles I made loads of little holes in them I filled half way with dessicant screwed the lid back and I have put two on each shelf ,when they get wet they go dark green almost black they were in my cabinet for two weeks and they went dark green ,so there was quite a bit of damp getting in and on my camera gear ...By the way if you want to get the moister out of the silica dessicant I put them in a Pyrex bowl on full power in my microwave for about ten minutes or when they go a light honey colour ,let them cool and use again ...

www.essexcockney.com
Where did you get the silica from?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 22nd November 2016, 12:23 AM
Friend

hi mitch I got it from ebay ,its just a precaution ,to be on the safe side. also I made some holes in plastic film canisters put some inside put the lid back on and put 4 in my camera bag ,its that easy and cheap as chips ..
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies