Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th May 2010, 12:52 PM
Friend

Default Adox Nuance

After over thirty years of printing in a darkroom, during 2003, I gave up and went digital. After seven years of producing pink/green/blue black and white prints I am now in the middle of going back to a darkroom. I picked up a Jobo C6600 enlarger free of charge with all of its negative carriers and still have my old Nikon EL lenses. My question is; having been used to the likes of Oriental Portrait, Agfa Record Rapid and Kodak Royal Bromesko; how would Adox Nuance fit in with my quest for the perfect warmtoned image...? What developer is recommended...? Any information would be welcomed.
Old 8th May 2010, 01:09 PM
Friend

I was a big fan of Record Rapid and used nothing else, but now its gone I was recommended Nuance as a replacement but haven't tested it yet, I also here good things about the Foma papers and have used Fomatone MG which from my initial tests is very good. Ilford Galerie is another graded paper if you prefer them to MG. Have a look at the papers available on the AG and Silverprint websites they have links to both sites from this site.

Neil
Old 8th May 2010, 01:30 PM
Friend

Neil, I've ordered a pack of twenty five sheets of Nuance in grade three from Silverprint but as yet, have no idea when it will arrive. I do not like Ilford Galerie as the present material isn't a patch on the early Galerie that I used all those years ago. I used to like Kentmere Kentona but have noticed that even Kentmere appear to have dropped off the perch where quality papers are concerned. Alas, Record Rapid was truly stunning and could render black shadows against a black background so good it was. Whatever happened to real photography and quality...?
Old 8th May 2010, 02:13 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunH View Post
Neil, I've ordered a pack of twenty five sheets of Nuance in grade three from Silverprint but as yet, have no idea when it will arrive. I do not like Ilford Galerie as the present material isn't a patch on the early Galerie that I used all those years ago. I used to like Kentmere Kentona but have noticed that even Kentmere appear to have dropped off the perch where quality papers are concerned. Alas, Record Rapid was truly stunning and could render black shadows against a black background so good it was. Whatever happened to real photography and quality...?
Could it be in the same draw as your rose-tinted spectacles?
Have you kept any prints from that bygone age with which to do a direct comparison?
Old 8th May 2010, 04:06 PM
Friend

Don't know about nuance, but if you liked record rapid then I would suggest you try Fomatone, developed in Harman warmtone, or for even warmer prints try fotospeed warmtone devolper, dilute 1/29. I also like the ilford warmtone fb developed in the fotospeed,it is very warm,Richard
Old 8th May 2010, 04:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunH View Post
I think ILFORD Photo / Harman have claimed that Ilfobrom Galerie is virtually unchanged since the early 1980s.

Tom
Old 8th May 2010, 04:47 PM
Friend

Shaun,
Don't dwell in the past, my friend! Having seen some of your excellent prints done with the old papers you mention, I have absolutely no doubt that you will be able to make excellent prints on the best modern papers. Get some Ilford Warmtone fibre paper, some Harman Warmtone developer, some selenium toner, and be prepared to amaze yourself.
I will be round to inspect the results!

Alan
Old 8th May 2010, 05:14 PM
Friend

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
Shaun,
Don't dwell in the past, my friend! Having seen some of your excellent prints done with the old papers you mention, I have absolutely no doubt that you will be able to make excellent prints on the best modern papers. Get some Ilford Warmtone fibre paper, some Harman Warmtone developer, some selenium toner, and be prepared to amaze yourself.
I will be round to inspect the results!

Alan
Good advice Alan.

I too used to bemoan the fact the likes of Agfa RR, Kentona and many other greats are no longer with us - add Kodak infrared film too if you like! Then I realised I would have to move on and if you look around there are some great new papers out to give a go.

As you say; Ilford WT FB is a good place to start and I use a lot of it myself

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 8th May 2010, 06:45 PM
Friend

I have to say that my initial testing using Foma, Adox and Ilford have given very good results, and I am confident I will be happy with whatever papers I decide to use.

I am very optimistic about the papers that are available and I have seen some wonderful prints on these papers.

Neil
Old 8th May 2010, 06:53 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Could it be in the same draw as your rose-tinted spectacles?
Have you kept any prints from that bygone age with which to do a direct comparison?
I have all of my old prints from the mid eighties as they formed an RPS panel at the time. Nearly all of them were printed onto Agfa Record Rapid and developed in D163 formula developer.

I'm very much looking forward to this Adox paper when it arrives but it will be under serious scrutiny. It had better be good, their films certainly are.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies