Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th December 2008, 05:03 PM
Friend

Default C-41 Film experiences

having used Ilford FP4 and HP5 with the Ilford pre paid service for quite some time, which I hasten to add, I have found to be excellent, I decided to try C-41 film which can be processed by companies like Jessops in an hour. It works out about £2.50 less than Ilford and you get 7 X 5 borderless gloss prints as standard unlike Ilford, their basic package is 6 X 4 with a border. The first C-41 film I shot in a newly acquired M6 was Kodak BCW400 CN. Jessops processed it for me but the prints had a strong jade green cast. I spoke to a very helpful lady at Fuji Labs who incidentally have re located their operations to Leeds- http://ccimagingftp.com and she advised me to ask Jessops to re print. I duly did this and the results were fine without a cast.

Also available, although I have not tried them are Fuji Neopan 400CN which I am reliably informed is made in the UK for Fuji by Ilford and Ilford's own XP2 also 400 asa.

I would be interested to hear other members experiences with C-41 film

Regards Kenneth
Old 17th December 2008, 05:12 PM
Friend

[QUOTE= I would be interested to hear other members experiences with C-41 film[/QUOTE]

I used a cassette of XP2 once and a High Street processing lab badly scratched the film (tram lines from end to end). Unfortunately, this experience put me put me off C41 mono film types for life However, during my travels I have seen many a good print made from mono C41 film.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 17th December 2008, 05:12 PM
Friend

It's certainly news to me that Ilford are now making Fuji's film. I'd be surprised. I wonder why Fuji would need Ilford to produce their film for them now? I am assuming that initially Fuji did its own film so what's changed? As long as your lab can print on trad B&W paper, I'd be inclined to use XP2+ film. It was made for printing on B&W paper but I have had no experience of Fuji chromogenic film which might be just as good.

Mike
Old 17th December 2008, 05:20 PM
Friend

Never tried it but your lab prints will be printed on colour paper which is where the green cast comes from. When the colour in those prints starts to fade, which it will, they will turn from black and white to some other colour. Green or purple probably. That will be noticeable sooner than if they were normal colour prints as the slightest bit of colour change will instantly put a colour cast in the prints.
I'd stay with the ilford printing because they print on black and white RC paper.
Old 17th December 2008, 05:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
It's certainly news to me that Ilford are now making Fuji's film. I'd be surprised. I wonder why Fuji would need Ilford to produce their film for them now? I am assuming that initially Fuji did its own film so what's changed? As long as your lab can print on trad B&W paper, I'd be inclined to use XP2+ film. It was made for printing on B&W paper but I have had no experience of Fuji chromogenic film which might be just as good.

Mike
Then be surprised Mike.
Old 18th December 2008, 09:15 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Then be surprised Mike.
Will somebody(ies) tell me more on this then?

Thanks

Mike
Old 18th December 2008, 09:24 PM
Friend

I use Ilford XP2 super in 35mm quite a lot. I get it processed at Peak Imaging who always do a good job, with no casts or any other obvious faults. I just get 6x4s and ake any bigger prints myself. It gives superb results once you get used to the rather odd grain effect. I'd be interested to know if Ilford do make fuji's film too - I've used Neopan 1600 a few times and it really is excellent, too.

Rob
Old 18th December 2008, 09:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Will somebody(ies) tell me more on this then?

Thanks

Mike
Just be grateful we have a choice; and long may it remain so.
Old 20th December 2008, 06:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Archer View Post
I use Ilford XP2 super in 35mm quite a lot. I get it processed at Peak Imaging who always do a good job, with no casts or any other obvious faults. I just get 6x4s and ake any bigger prints myself. It gives superb results once you get used to the rather odd grain effect. I'd be interested to know if Ilford do make fuji's film too - I've used Neopan 1600 a few times and it really is excellent, too.

Rob
Rob- CC imaging http://ccimagingftp.com/cci/index.html are Fuji's main lab and are based in Leeds. They might be able to give more background

Regards Kenneth
Old 24th December 2008, 02:59 PM
Friend

Fuji, when they launched the film claimed to have subcontracted a large part of the films R&D to Ilford.

Fuji have never hidden the fact that its film is very similar to the Ilford equivalent - although they have of course not included such an own goal in their publicity material.

There is a lot more symbiosis in the photographic world than the manufacturers own up to

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies