Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Business Matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 28th June 2011, 12:39 PM
Friend

Default help needed - how to get your images online for client browsing

Advice please!

As I only print B&W in the darkroom (never digitally) I normally just scan the finished print then upload to my website for viewing. But recently I pondered on the following.

If I have say a couple of rolls of 35mm B&W and I want a client to be able to view and pick several photos from them for me to print up what's the best method.

(a) Make a standard 10x8 contact sheet in the darkroom and scan it large as each frame is tiny then upload that single print to my website.

(b) Purchase a dedicated film scanner (like Plustek) or additional flatbed with film scan holders and scan each negative in turn and upload them all.

In a perfect world, it would be nice to just make individual 7x5 prints of each negative and upload them, but the cost of paper, chemisrty and time isn't practical.

As I have no interest or intention of printing digitally (that's not what I do), then I really don't need super megapixel quality scans if it's just for the web. What's the most effecient and cost effective way to proceed.

If it was colour film, I could probably get the scan done at a D&P lab.

Thanks for your tips and suggestions.

Last edited by Larry; 28th June 2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 28th June 2011, 01:18 PM
Friend

I would probably go with the contact sheet option as it still looks like a darkroom print and should have enough resolution to pick frames from. Its also one wet print and one scan so should be quite efficient timewise.

otherwise I have an old minolta film scanner if you have a desktop PC with a PCI slot free capable of accepting the SCSI card (yes SCSI... its that old) you would be more than welcome to try and see if it suits your needs before buying a plustek or similar.
Old 28th June 2011, 01:23 PM
Friend

Interesting question Larry, but as you know this is not the forum for the discussion of digital scanning or equipment.
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies