Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > FADU 2009 Print Exhibition

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Closed Thread

Old 6th June 2009, 06:55 AM
Friend

Default Frames and matts

By way of a progress report, and subtle reminder to get printing.

After an exhaustive search, and an examination of quite a few samples, I’ve settled on an extruded aluminium frame, which I’ve now ordered. Their finish is best described as satin aluminium, and they have a narrow 9mm profile, so are very unobtrusive.
The matting card will be off-white, described as Antique White. I find that it helps lift light tones within the print, particularly warm toned monochrome prints, without distracting from any colour in the prints displayed.
Old 6th June 2009, 07:32 AM
Friend

Dave, are you intending to use this combination for all prints yopu wish to frame? I'm interested because following our extension earlier this year I have some wall space to fill and in the past have kind of standardised on a marrow black aluminuim frame with Antique white matt (Daler probably). The fames tended to come from B&Q.

I have had good reports regarding the Neilson range - be interesting to hear peoples views and ideas of best on-line suppliers.

How many people use museum or conservation board by the way?

Andrew
Old 6th June 2009, 07:45 AM
Friend

Lion do a product similar to Nielsen and in addition provide a "chop service" whereby they'll cut it to size for you. Very quick and efficient. www.lionpic.co.uk

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 6th June 2009, 07:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Bartram View Post
Dave, are you intending to use this combination for all prints yopu wish to frame? I'm interested because following our extension earlier this year I have some wall space to fill and in the past have kind of standardised on a marrow black aluminuim frame with Antique white matt (Daler probably). The fames tended to come from B&Q.

I have had good reports regarding the Neilson range - be interesting to hear peoples views and ideas of best on-line suppliers.

How many people use museum or conservation board by the way?

Andrew
Yes, all prints will be displayed in identical frames. Most of my prints at home are in black plastic frames, Homebase cheapies and I did consider these for the exhibition; briefly. However since they will have to be moved and stored for future years, I wanted something more durable.

We have use wood frames for the EMMG exhibitions, but these start to look a bit battered after a years use, so I decided aluminium would be better for our purpose. I brought several samples in different finishes and decided the light colour of would be better for public exhibition use. Its the picture I want to emphasise rather than the frame. They have the added advantage of being fitted with quick release spring retainers that are easier to assemble/disassemble than the wood frame pins.

I'm off to hang the EMMG exhibition at Bedford Museum this morning, so if you are in the area, it's there for June.
Old 6th June 2009, 08:00 AM
Friend

Dave

I'm only half an hour away from Bedford so will call in - this weekend though is taken up with a fishing match and 20/20 cricket at the Oval with my Lad!

20 films in the darkroom looking at me reproachfully everytime I venture in!!!

Andrew
Old 6th June 2009, 08:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
By way of a progress report, and subtle reminder to get printing.

After an exhaustive search, and an examination of quite a few samples, I’ve settled on an extruded aluminium frame, which I’ve now ordered. Their finish is best described as satin aluminium, and they have a narrow 9mm profile, so are very unobtrusive.
The matting card will be off-white, described as Antique White. I find that it helps lift light tones within the print, particularly warm toned monochrome prints, without distracting from any colour in the prints displayed.

I purchased a quanity of the very same frames for my own use some years ago and they are very effective for displaying mono prints in galleries and for exhibition use. I also have a few of them on my walls at home!

An excellent choice Dave

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 10th June 2009, 09:51 PM
Friend

I buy Nielson frames from www.fastframes.com - they nearly always deliver next day and so far have not let me down. All my gallery stuff is in them. Had no complaints so far...

Mark
Old 11th June 2009, 05:48 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Burley View Post
I buy Nielson frames from www.fastframes.com - they nearly always deliver next day and so far have not let me down. All my gallery stuff is in them. Had no complaints so far...

Mark
And that's exactly what they did! Good service.
Old 12th June 2009, 09:38 PM
Friend

I'll add my support for FastFrames as well; ordered 20 frames on Monday, they arrived Tuesday - good service!
They were all Nielsen Classic Frosted Silver (A2 and A3) - all arrived superbly packed and completely undamaged.

I'm still using up an old stock of conservation board, but plan on trying out Brittania Mounts for the next lot I think, or maybe from Lion, not sure yet, so any feedback on experiences with either is welcome.
Old 13th June 2009, 06:26 AM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

Mark, can you please confirm the link. It takes you to sewing machine accessories.

Did you mean http://www.fastframes.co.uk/?

Bill
Closed Thread
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies