Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 17th May 2017, 06:36 PM
Friend

Default Expired film day

Found this http://expiredfilmday.com/
Old 17th May 2017, 06:59 PM
Friend

Thanks Norm.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th May 2017, 09:45 PM
Friend

There is limited evidence for the desire to explore expired film here on FADU but it is clear to me that a lot of the newcomers to APUG seek out expired film. It seems to be an end in itself. It may be a similar thing to using Lomography where unknown and possibly more importantly unknown faults and flaws are the raison d'etre.

I can understand the desire to develop pre-exposed, found film that is out of date and the desire to take pictures and develop film that you have inadvertently left lying around beyond expiry date but not the desire to obtain this stuff and then use it in place of in-date stuff. However photography is a "broad church" as they say.

Mike
Old 20th May 2017, 04:11 PM
Print Exchange Manager

Most of the film (B&W) I use these days is 'out of date' and has been for a number of years. It is only my stinginess that forbids me to chuck away film that encourages me to use it. Generally I have got away with it with some loss of contrast and increased background fog on some of the older, higher ISO films. I have got some film that I bought 'fresh' but by the time I get to use it, I suspect it will be out of date but I have kept it in fridge or freezer, so I keep my fingers crossed.
Mike
Old 20th May 2017, 09:50 PM
Friend

I have a lot of film that has passed its expiry date. B&W film that has been stored in a fridge can last for years. I bought a pack of 2011 Delta 400 120 last year and it was fine. I also have a variety of 4x5 that is out of date, but is also fine. I'm not sure about the colour stuff. I used a 35mm Velvia that was out by a year or so, and the slides had a strong magenta cast. It had been in the fridge. I don't buy expired film for unusual effects, but rather because you can generally find perfectly usable material at low cost. I also buy outdated papers, but this is more for the effect. I made some small contacts on Kodak gaslight paper (I can't recall the name at the moment!!), and the results were good. I bought some 3.5x2.5" plates for my Una, and made the contacts from these. All materials were 50+ years old.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st May 2017, 09:14 AM
Friend

I entered that competition as all my film is now Outdated but didn't hear anything so won nothing.
Old 21st May 2017, 10:41 AM
Friend

I am thinking of entering the out of date photographer competition I have a good chance of winning ..its good that a lot of mostly younger people are trying something different and experimenting with old film and paper and cheap plastic cameras to get different effects ,they are also buying new film and paper and keeping photography alive ,more power to there elbows, I say..

www.essexcockney.com
Old 21st May 2017, 07:45 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pentaxpete View Post
I entered that competition as all my film is now Outdated but didn't hear anything so won nothing.
Not sure what the judges are looking for, do they like blurry prints made from poorly processed negatives with a liberal sprinkling of fluff, dust and hairs Lomo style; or do they prefer pristine prints made from expired film in order to show what good results can be achieved from out of date film. If film has been kept in the freezer it can still produce excellent results years after its expiry date. How the film has been stored is key."Expired" to me means dead and good for nothing but land fill. I have some 1999 Ilford Fp3 in a bulk loader I purchased in a job lot 5or 6 years ago. It has been patiently waiting in a cupboard in my darkroom hoping to be given a chance, a bit like a lot of my wife's spices and herbs in her kitchen cupboard. Perhaps it is time I loaded a length into a cassette and tried it. Would a pinch of cajun spice and a pinch of cayenne pepper in the developer get rid of the fog? What developer produces the lowest fogging, do I need to use an aggressive developer and a short developing time?
Old 21st May 2017, 10:39 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
Not sure what the judges are looking for, do they like blurry prints made from poorly processed negatives with a liberal sprinkling of fluff, dust and hairs Lomo style; or do they prefer pristine prints made from expired film in order to show what good results can be achieved from out of date film. If film has been kept in the freezer it can still produce excellent results years after its expiry date. How the film has been stored is key."Expired" to me means dead and good for nothing but land fill. I have some 1999 Ilford Fp3 in a bulk loader I purchased in a job lot 5or 6 years ago. It has been patiently waiting in a cupboard in my darkroom hoping to be given a chance, a bit like a lot of my wife's spices and herbs in her kitchen cupboard. Perhaps it is time I loaded a length into a cassette and tried it. Would a pinch of cajun spice and a pinch of cayenne pepper in the developer get rid of the fog? What developer produces the lowest fogging, do I need to use an aggressive developer and a short developing time?

I didn't think you could buy FP3 in 1999. If it is FP4, it will probably be ok. HC110 is recommended for expired film as it produces less fog, or so it is said. I would certainly try some of the film before deciding what to do with it.
Alex

Old 22nd May 2017, 08:04 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I didn't think you could buy FP3 in 1999. If it is FP4, it will probably be ok. HC110 is recommended for expired film as it produces less fog, or so it is said. I would certainly try some of the film before deciding what to do with it.
Alex

Just had a look, I do not know who loaded the bulk loader but they wrote on it, FP3 1999 so the film will be a lot older if its FP3, pre 1968? Unless of course the label on the bulk film loader has nothing to do with the film inside. The film is a very pale grey almost transparent, I have compared a piece of the "FP3" to some black and white films that I have, FP4+, HP5+, Acros and Agfa APX 100 it is a lighter grey colour than all of those. It probably is FP4 I not very optimistic about it producing negatives I can use.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies