Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Alternative Processes > Contact printing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th July 2009, 03:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
I think he needs a certain number of pre-orders for it to be viable.
Silverprint and Retro have so far given no indication that they will stock it.......
Have expressed an interest in stocking it, to which Michael replied positively. He said he will make an announcement regarding distribution soon.
Old 28th July 2009, 03:58 PM
Friend

Martin,
I too look forward to hearing more about this. Many thanks for the information to date.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 28th July 2009, 05:16 PM
Friend

It might be an idea to hang fire on a bulk order and order from Silverprint?
Old 28th July 2009, 05:17 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
Have expressed an interest in stocking it, to which Michael replied positively. He said he will make an announcement regarding distribution soon.
Nice one I've already placed an order for some more but it would be much easier and quicker for me to purchase any future supplies from you. It really is a lovely paper but expensive.
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 28th July 2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Owen View Post
It might be an idea to hang fire on a bulk order and order from Silverprint?
Yes indeed, thanks Martin
Old 28th July 2009, 07:44 PM
Friend

This is like a GCSE science schoolboy butting in with a question during a PhD discussion : but what is different between using contact paper like Lodima and using normal paper such as Ilford FB paper for enlarging prints from negs.

Thanks

Mike
Old 28th July 2009, 08:19 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
This is like a GCSE science schoolboy butting in with a question during a PhD discussion : but what is different between using contact paper like Lodima and using normal paper such as Ilford FB paper for enlarging prints from negs.

Thanks

Mike
Mike, on the plus side I would say a silver chloride paper has a much longer tonal range then a bromide/chlorobromide paper. It is surprising for example, how, what would be considered a 'difficult' negative, prints easier on a paper with a silver chloride emulsion. They also seem to have a finer grain then enlarging papers and tend to tone (colour shift) more readily in toners such as selenium.

Papers like Lodima are less sensitive to light so are not normally used for projection printing as the printing time would probably run into several minutes. For example, with my own trials, I tend to get exposure times of around 20-25 seconds under a 60 watt light bulb at a distance of about 8".
"To the attentive eye, each moment of the year has its own beauty, and in the same field, it beholds, every hour, a picture which was never seen before, and which will never be seen again" Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Old 29th July 2009, 06:58 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Crone View Post
....They also seem to have a finer grain then enlarging papers and tend to tone (colour shift) more readily in toners such as selenium....
Potentially also should split tone very precisely, Olivia Parker used Kodak Azo to great effect with this.

http://oliviaparker.com/gallery.php?id=18
Old 29th July 2009, 07:25 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
Potentially also should split tone very precisely, Olivia Parker used Kodak Azo to great effect with this.

http://oliviaparker.com/gallery.php?id=18
I'm a big fan of her work. Sadly it was the old Azo that gave the best split. Lodima apparently does not split as well. I believe Michael has mentioned this some where in his website.

PS. I was a big fan of her but just read that she has gone digital and prints with a .......... Epson. I bet those inkjets split tone well!?%$*

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers

Last edited by Trevor Crone; 29th July 2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: looked in more detail at Olivia's website
Old 29th July 2009, 12:05 PM
Friend

This may be of interest to those asking/thinking about projection printing on Lodima:

http://www.michaelandpaula.com/mp/Az...D=11743&CID=13

Timespresent
Arenaphotographers
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies