Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 30th July 2018, 12:14 PM
Friend

Default Expired film

Does expired film need ISO rating or development time altered to compensate?

If so are there any general guidelines per year or such?

Thanks
Old 30th July 2018, 02:03 PM
Friend

Hi Ian,
The general consensus is to give an extra stop of exposure per decade. Anything less than ten years of age should be fine to expose at box speed.
Old 30th July 2018, 02:08 PM
Friend

Hi Ian,

I found an more than 10 years old, expired, unused Acros 100 in my camera bag. I exposed it 1 stop more than usual according to the data sheet of SPUR HRX and gave about 15% more development time than indicated in their data sheet - I had asked for advice from SPUR.

What should I say? Their recommendation worked: the film came out quite nice! It was only a test film, but it worked.

Good luck!

MonoArt - fine photographs
Old 30th July 2018, 04:33 PM
Friend

Thanks for the quick answers.
Old 31st July 2018, 02:28 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I am currently using OOD 120 Film - TMX100 & Delta100 - whose expiry date was the early 2000s at the box speed and developed in Xtol 1+1 for the times in the Massive Dev Chart and they are fine.

However, I have recently exposed some OOD Patterson Acupan 200 (which I understand from an internet search is Fomapan) (Dated 2000) at both ISO200 and subsequently ISO100 developed for the Massive Dev Chart recommended 8½ Min. and they gave very thin negatives in both cases. I think I shall develop them for a longer time next time (say 11 Min).

I have in the past 5 yrs used PanF dated early 1990s at the box rate and developed for the suggested times and they came out fine.

A case of you have to try it and see what happens and if necessary undertake more formal tests with trial bits of film as suggested in a previous Thread about these matters.
Mike
Old 31st July 2018, 04:54 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHeller View Post
I am currently using OOD 120 Film - TMX100 & Delta100 - whose expiry date was the early 2000s at the box speed and developed in Xtol 1+1 for the times in the Massive Dev Chart and they are fine.

However, I have recently exposed some OOD Patterson Acupan 200 (which I understand from an internet search is Fomapan) (Dated 2000) at both ISO200 and subsequently ISO100 developed for the Massive Dev Chart recommended 8½ Min. and they gave very thin negatives in both cases. I think I shall develop them for a longer time next time (say 11 Min).

I have in the past 5 yrs used PanF dated early 1990s at the box rate and developed for the suggested times and they came out fine.

A case of you have to try it and see what happens and if necessary undertake more formal tests with trial bits of film as suggested in a previous Thread about these matters.
Mike
I agree with Mike. I have just developed some OoD by six years Agfa APX100 at box speed in HC110 for the suggested time and the negatives were fine. I do not make adjustments when processing until I have seen the results.

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies