Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th November 2019, 08:41 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nat Polton View Post
Resurrecting this old topic.

For around twenty years I didn't use gloves or print tongs. Then one day I was given a couple of old 1940s - 1950s photography books that had a bias towards industry and commercial photography.
A lot of the information contained in them was way over my head.
The only article that stuck with me was about dermatitis.

I think it was called Metol Contact Dermatitis.
Back before WWII Metol varied slightly in it's puriry, it was one of the impurities that caused contact dermatitis, I could look up what the chemical was. Some companies made a point in their advertising of stressing the purity of their Metol.

Here in the UK Kodak Ltd published a couple of "Metol Free" developers these used p-Aminophenol hydrochloride instead of Metol. p-Aminophenol (free base) is the developing agent used in Rodinal. A better approach is a PQ developer, these have lower toxicity, a longer shelf and tray life, work better at lower temperatures (if not using a dish warmer).

I tend to use tongues for test strips etc and fingers if necessary for final prints, washing my fingers is is important, that's what I've done for over 50 years.

Ian

Last edited by Lostlabours; 19th November 2019 at 08:49 AM.
Old 19th November 2019, 10:36 AM
Friend

Cannik, a warning about playing conkers.

Flying bits of conkers cant half hurt if you get a piece in your eye.

As my grandad used to say...

"Stop playing with your conkers or you'll go blind."
Old 19th November 2019, 10:46 AM
Friend

I don’t use gloves for routine B&W work, but I don’t put my hands in the chemistry unless it’s absolutely necessary. Apart from any potential health issues, there is a risk of damaging your work if your hands are contaminated with chemicals. As Ian said, washing hands is important if they have been in contact with chemistry.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 19th November 2019, 12:29 PM
Friend

For me the main safety thing I keep in my darkroom is an eye wash station just in case, I have never had to use it but you never know when you might get a splash, I don't were goggles or gloves, Like Alex I very rarely use my fingers,only SS tongs which I normally have attached to the corner of the print ready to lift
Richard
Old 19th November 2019, 12:29 PM
Friend

From what I can see most proprietary photographic chemistry is no more, and often less, problematic than ordinary day to day cleaning products. I have acute psoriasis and asthma but have not experienced any issues whatsoever over the years from working with film or paper processing. I take care when handling chemicals, use tongs for trays for example and always read instructions fully, but don’t wear gloves. On the odd occasion that I do splash chemicals on my hands I simply wash off in cold water and dry properly.

I use liquid fixers and stop, the only powdered chemicals I use are proprietary developers - so what I’ve said doesn’t necessarily apply if mixing your own brews from constituent chemicals of course.
Old 19th November 2019, 12:52 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I tend to use tongues for test strips etc and fingers if necessary for final prints, washing my fingers is is important...

Ian
Fingers for final prints and 'tongues' for test strips, so I presume toes for everything else?...

I just love a good typo!

Terry S
Old 19th November 2019, 01:35 PM
Friend

Tong in cheek Terry, careful you'll have the PC brigade on your case and you've clashed already

More seriously I generally use tongs where I can and only really use fingers (right hand only) when it's awkward getting a print out of the developer. I tend to only use FB paper and care is needed when wet not to crease/kink.

Ian
Old 19th November 2019, 02:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat polton View Post
cannik, a warning about playing conkers.

Flying bits of conkers cant half hurt if you get a piece in your eye.

As my grandad used to say...

"stop playing with your conkers or you'll go blind."

Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies