Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 15th September 2019, 06:50 PM
Friend

Default There's a first time for everything!

Here's something I have never done before in all my time using a darkroom.

Common sense tells me that developing C41 colour film in the same tank as C41 based XP2+ B&W should be fine.......But.......I thought I would ask before I started.....Just in case. It is me being lazy, not wanting to go through the same process twice in one evening

They are both 36 exposures, used at the box speed rating, and of course the developing time in C41 developer is 3 mins 15 seconds for both films.
Old 15th September 2019, 07:16 PM
Friend

John, I cannot think of any drawbacks to this idea although I have never seen it mentioned

Mike
Old 15th September 2019, 08:03 PM
Friend

I drop my XP2 off at Boots - I don't think they drain the system just for me......
Old 16th September 2019, 12:54 PM
Friend

XP2 is similar emulsion to colour films just one colour coupler and Panchromatic, while a colour film has more layers each with different spectral sensitivity and different couplers.

XP2 was introduced because labs didn;t like processing XP1 which used either it's own developing kit (home use) or a non standard longer C41 colour development time, and there were push process options.

XP2 can still be push processed but as labs didn't want to do it Ilford don't publish any recommendations. I pushed it to 1600/3200 for years with excellent results.

Ian
Old 16th September 2019, 01:54 PM
Friend

I've only used XP2 a few times, but it's a great film for bigger enlargements, as there's NO grain! It is a sod to home enlarge though, as the lack of grain makes it really hard to focus on the baseboard = even with a grain magnifier!! Really lovely prints though, when it has been achieved.

I've had mine dev'ed at Snappy Snaps in the UK with no problem.

Terry S
Old 16th September 2019, 02:58 PM
Friend

Default C41

I have just mixed a fresh batch of C41 and will try doing both tonight. There is nothing desperate on either and they can be done again quite easily.

Fingers crossed
Old 16th September 2019, 10:00 PM
Friend

Default C41 Developing

The problem sort of disappeared. I was checking in my darkroom fridge and came across another exposed Fuji C41 colour which I put away before my holiday.

So I processed 2 x 36 exp colour followed by the XP2 and I am glad to say all are fine, but I am non the wiser about processing mixed colour/B&W films.
Old 17th September 2019, 06:56 AM
Friend

I have processed XP2 Super with C41 colour films in the same tank, no problems at all. I use Fuji Hunt chemicals.
Old 17th September 2019, 08:00 AM
Friend

I do it all the time using Rollei Digibase (Fuji) chems.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies