Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Equipment miscellaneous

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd November 2019, 02:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
But on the video link provided, the guy seems to be turning something to hold the camera in place like a vice and not just the usual tripod bush?

If one used the tripod bush on this bracket, it would be no quicker than usual, as you'd still have to undo the tripod head to turn the camera, which bypasses the apparent usefulness of the bracket?

Terry S
Do you have a link to the video? The bracket connects to the standard Arca Swiss style quick-release. If you have another type already, then yes, you will need to buy an Arca style QR bracket for your tripod.

It may be that what is in the video is the cheaper type that has a screw to lock the camera to the tripod bracket (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Harwerrel-A...4519510&sr=8-4) - but faster acting lever action ones are available (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Andoer-Alum...4519550&sr=8-3). Those are the cheapo versions - the real Arca Swiss one will set you back many, many, more beer-tokens of course...

For anyone not familiar - this is what we are talking about here (cheaper versions are available - mine cost 9 quid): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Neewer-Vert...tronics&sr=1-4

Last edited by Bob; 23rd November 2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 23rd November 2019, 02:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveInElland View Post
One of the biggest benefits is it keeps the camera over the centre of the tripod which is more stable than having the camera hanging to one side
OK I now get that but surely the effect is miniscule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
But on the video link provided, the guy seems to be turning something to hold the camera in place like a vice and not just the usual tripod bush?

If one used the tripod bush on this bracket, it would be no quicker than usual, as you'd still have to undo the tripod head to turn the camera, which bypasses the apparent usefulness of the bracket?

Terry S
That's what I am saying, I have the PLATE, image 1 on my cameras, and my Wimberley, Ball head and Pan tilt Video Manfrotto head all take that £5 plate, when attached to the B and S head or Vid head you just flip it over, or swap to Wimberley

KIT £12

You can adapt any tripod for £12 WITH plate

Used by many astronomers and bird watchers

Or the bracket as per the video is £10

Which is the one Big Paul posted about, is it ?

Not bad for £10

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kkk.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	303.8 KB
ID:	3534   Click image for larger version

Name:	kk.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	305.2 KB
ID:	3535   Click image for larger version

Name:	ffff.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	3536   Click image for larger version

Name:	lllll.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	3538   Click image for larger version

Name:	lkjhyjgj.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	3539  

Last edited by Bob; 23rd November 2019 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Merged four consecutive posts.
Old 23rd November 2019, 02:53 PM
Friend

I hope this helps ..Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600 ppppp.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	3540

Name:	71KH0lY8gIL._AC_SX679_.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	3541
Old 23rd November 2019, 02:57 PM
Friend

I initially bought an Arca Swiss one as I already had an Arca Swiss tripod head. It's a universal type, meaning that the plates can be adjusted on the rails to fit many different types of cameras. They even come in a variety of different plate types - I've stuck with the QuickSet type as I have a number of different manufacturers' versions of the Arca Swiss camera plates and Arca mentions that the FlipLock would probably need adjusting for the differing widths of the plates.

https://www.robertwhite.co.uk/suppor...t-classic.html

After a while I found it rather inconvenient to use on my Fujifilm X-Pro1 as the battery and SD card slot was covered up and so the bracket had to be unscrewed each time I needed to change them - the joys of digital.

I now have a Really Right Stuff one for the X-Pro1 as it's a custom fit and allows me to get to the battery and SD card slot.

It looks as though the market for these brackets has really exploded and they are much easier to use than trying to twist and turn a tripod head 90º. The prices for the Chinese made versions are a great deal cheaper than those made in Europe or America.

The Arca Swiss one can be used on a whole range of other film cameras that I have, though there's no point on fitting it to my 6 x 6 Rolleis. And it's also superfluous on cameras with rotating backs such as the Fuji GX 680 III and the Chamonix.

Nick
Old 23rd November 2019, 02:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by big paul View Post
I hope this helps ..Attachment 3540

Attachment 3541

Yes that's the one £10, good value, the "plate" stays on the mount and you just buy different brackets/attachments for individual scopes,binoculars/lenses, I highly recommend the system but not for just a single camera, perhaps heavier objects, but hey............ for the price

Many Astronomers like us use the Arca Swiss systems on scope mounts VERTY VERY convenient

Birders use this system too for compatibility, put one "mounting plate" on a tripod and instantly attach anything

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1050604.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	127.9 KB
ID:	3542   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1050605.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	3543   Click image for larger version

Name:	h.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	3544  
Old 23rd November 2019, 03:02 PM
Friend

they coust me £20 for the two ,as cheap as chips and a must have for shooting portraits/headshots ,on a tripod ,it fits on my mamiya 645 cameras perfectly and i am going to get a bigger one for my 35mm cameras …..
Old 23rd November 2019, 03:05 PM
Banned

Better still £3.50 AND free postage

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lkjhyjgj.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	244.4 KB
ID:	3545  
Old 23rd November 2019, 06:18 PM
Friend

I also use two different types of manfrotto quick realise plates but I do pile them up or chop and change ,to suit my needs ,as you can see ,with my 300mm 2.8 ..Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (2).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	3546

Name:	IMG_0012 (2).jpg
Views:	178
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	3547 by the way its a scanned print ..
Old 24th November 2019, 04:06 PM
Friend

Okay, I'm just about getting my head around this new (to me anyway) camera mounting system, that I only first heard about yesterday. And I've finally thought of a time when it might be useful, so I've ordered the cheapest two possible units off of ebay, which came to just under £10 for the two items. And as usual on ebay, there are LOADS of sellers selling the EXACT same thing, with prices from about £5 right up to £25 = and all for EXACTLY the same item!!!

Collas, now I know what I've bought is a cheaper made item, but how do these cheapie cheap items compare to the one that you bought at over £200, for what I can make out is only one part of the system? I know that there's going to be a big difference in quality, but the difference in price is quite high! Thoughts?

Terry S

Last edited by Terry S; 24th November 2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 24th November 2019, 04:10 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Do you have a link to the video? The bracket connects to the standard Arca Swiss style quick-release. If you have another type already, then yes, you will need to buy an Arca style QR bracket for your tripod.
The video I was referring to was Paul's in post #4, but I understand how it works now.

And the other video that I watched was this one, titled 'Battle of the Quick Releases: Arca Swiss VS Manfrotto RC2':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMdGAlmgEgM

Terry S
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies