Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 22nd December 2023, 08:22 AM
Friend

Sadly, all the accessory viewfinders bring downsides alongside their benefits, and I couldn’t live with any of them. The Voigtlander Kontur came closest for me, but lack of accuracy, extra sticky-out bulk, and need to meter and focus with the camera’s viewfinder (or to scale focus) destroyed the exquisite self-sufficiency of the camera (an M6). It was the 50mm version of the Kontur that I had, which confusingly is marked ‘35mm’. I was unable to find the version for a 35mm lens.

http://www.allmyeye.co.uk
Old 22nd December 2023, 01:00 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
I wonder whether a RASUK might ameliorate that problem. I've just looked through my VIDOH and SBLOO, as well as a Diax 35mm finder that I have; and I see your issue. I've never tried a RASUK; but someone else here might comment.

Voigtländer's Kontur might also be worth investigating: see this article.
I can't be the only one, but I had to look up all of the 4 and 5 letter 'words' above, as I totally didn't know what a RASUD or a Diax etc. were.

For others in the same boat as me, they are mostly hot shoe eye viewers (is that the right word?) and the Diax is a rangefinder camera.

Even google struggled to give me answers.

Terry S
Old 22nd December 2023, 03:06 PM
Friend

Zeiss Ikon used to make a number of Albada finders for their vast range of cameras, possibly first used with the Contax rangefinder. Very similar in principle to the Voigtländer Kontur (I have bought myself one for my late Dad's Vito B), but some of them were collapsible. A modern variant is the Olympus Dot Sight EE-1, but this requires a battery and superimposes an adjustable red dot to allow the tracking of fast moving subjects (such as birds in flight) with long lenses. Nikon makes a similar device at several times the price… Or you can bodge one together - there are videos on this, of course.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies