Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Locations > Great Britain

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 18th February 2010, 11:43 AM
Friend

Default National Trust

I notice that the National Trust has lifted it's ban on photography in it's properties, including the use of tripods. Sounds like progress.
Old 18th February 2010, 11:44 AM
Friend

Good news indeed - where did you notice that?

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 18th February 2010, 11:46 AM
Friend

Never had any problems of that sort here, but our N.T. is seperate from the english n.t., and they encourage photographers,in return for a print or 2 if you get anything good,Richard
Old 18th February 2010, 12:42 PM
Friend

Q. Where can I take photographs?

A. Outdoors

All visitors to National Trust properties are allowed to take photographs out of doors for their own private use. Any individuals wishing to sell or publish photographs should contact photo.library@nationaltrust.org.uk.

Indoors

Amateur photography (including filming) without flash is now permitted in historic interiors at the Property Manager’s discretion. As with outdoor photography, any photographs taken are strictly for private use, and enquiries about selling or publishing photographs should be directed to photo.library@nationaltrust.org.uk. However, visitors must be aware that at some places, there may be copyright issues, and further permissions may be required in respect of collections not owned by us. In these situations the Property Manager decision as to if photography is allowed is final.

Full info can be found at:

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main...qs-visitor.htm

cheers

Larry
Old 18th February 2010, 01:58 PM
Friend

I will visit NT property until there is a level playing field for pro's

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 18th February 2010, 02:34 PM
Administrator

I was on NT land earlier today: Box Hill. Unfortunately, it started raining 10 minutes after I got there and settled in for the day so I gave up waiting for the mist to clear...

Will be interesting to see how often "at the Property Managerís discretion" is invoked. To be fair, you could always arrange groups to shoot after hours "at the Property Managerís discretion" - never actually tried it tho.
Old 18th February 2010, 06:56 PM
Friend

I never had any problems outside but admittedly never tried with a tripod.

Mike
Old 19th February 2010, 08:06 AM
Friend

Certainly with regards to outdoor photography, I've never had any problems whatsoever (without tripod) but indoors, although photography may not be permitted, will still allow you to walk around with your camera gear. However, I recall one year when I was down in Cornwall, I visited Lanhydrock and on entering the building I was asked to leave all my stuff at the reception. They had lockers where they kept your equipment inside, but to be honest I didn't feel comfortable about that. This was the only National Trust property I visited where this was required; mind you, this was going back a few years now.

Other private properties (non-National Trust) also have their own rules, and although again I've not had any problems outdoors, on one occasion as I was photographing the building exterior a lady approached me to enquire if I was using the images for commercial purposes. I said no and that I was just an amateur visiting the area. She explained the reason I was asked was because I was carrying a large holdall so assumed I was a professional. She was pleasant and courteous, and even remarked on how rare it was to come across someone using a film camera.

I forgot to add, it is indeed great news that they are relaxing the rules. I welcome that very much.

Last edited by Carl V; 19th February 2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 19th February 2010, 11:00 AM
Friend

I find their views on photography draconian. I don't have a problem with them controlling photography inside the properties, but I object to their policy of controlling photography in the landscape.
Many of the sites were given to them to look after and protect for future generations, I don't believe they should have the right to say you have to offer the National Trust Photo Library any images for sale. And if they don't want your images they say you cannot sell them anywhere else, ridiculous.
They have been entrusted with to many acres of mature gardens and woodland for this policy to be fair.

Neil
Old 19th February 2010, 12:08 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Smith View Post
I find their views on photography draconian. I don't have a problem with them controlling photography inside the properties, but I object to their policy of controlling photography in the landscape.
Many of the sites were given to them to look after and protect for future generations, I don't believe they should have the right to say you have to offer the National Trust Photo Library any images for sale. And if they don't want your images they say you cannot sell them anywhere else, ridiculous.
They have been entrusted with to many acres of mature gardens and woodland for this policy to be fair.

Neil
I agree, it has always annoyed me.
On the other-hand I have some sympathy with an organisation wanting to retain control over how their properties are presented to others. It is the one issue that has always prevented me taking out a membership subscription.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies