Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Print Finishing

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th February 2019, 05:48 PM
longhouselife

Default Mounting etc

So, What is the up to-date thoughts on mounting prints..?

What do I mount to..?

What do I mount with..?

Where do I find materials..?

All for RC prints, just to show off at home or give to friends. Not for exhibition purposes

Matt
Old 14th February 2019, 09:12 PM
Friend

Mounting on card mount board, or foam board, using spray adhesive works well. The materials can be chosen to promote longevity, or you can just use basic stuff if you’re not sending your pictures into the next Century! Art and craft suppliers like Hobbycraft, etc sell the boards and glue. I don’t know if you travel to Glasgow much, but there’s a Hobbycraft in the Fort retail park off the M8 at Easterhouse. Given your location, it might be difficult or expensive to have stuff sent to you. 3M make the glue. You lay the print face down on some newspaper, then give the back a light overall coating, before positioning it on the board.
There are, of course, many more sophisticated methods, but this was what we did at my evening class, and it produced decent results.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 14th February 2019, 09:17 PM
Friend

Hi Matt. (your name is very apt considering your question )

Here's what I do to frame my prints (same needs as you, just to hang around the house):

- Acid-free mat board, which I cut to size with a basic Olfa knife, and cut the window with a simple Logan mat cutter; the cutter is a bit fiddly but does the job once you get to know how to use it. Mine is an old version of this design: http://www.logangraphic.com/product/...ld-mat-cutter/

- Tape the print along it's top edge only to the back of the mat using archival mounting tape, which you can find at art supply stores. I do the top edge only so that changes in temp and RH won't buckle the print, it just hangs freely and is allowed to move. Note that I do not dry mount my prints.

- Sandwich the print from the back with another piece of acid-free mat board to protect it from chemicals in the frame backing sheet, then insert into frame.

And that's it.... Simple.

One thing I do want to do going forward is to standardize my frame sizes to make it easier to rotate prints in and out. Makes it easier on the mat sizing, etc., if all frames for, say, 8x10 prints are the same size.

Hope this helps....

Svend

Last edited by Svend; 14th February 2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 14th February 2019, 09:33 PM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
Mounting on card mount board, or foam board, using spray adhesive works well. The materials can be chosen to promote longevity, or you can just use basic stuff if you’re not sending your pictures into the next Century! Art and craft suppliers like Hobbycraft, etc sell the boards and glue. I don’t know if you travel to Glasgow much, but there’s a Hobbycraft in the Fort retail park off the M8 at Easterhouse. Given your location, it might be difficult or expensive to have stuff sent to you. 3M make the glue. You lay the print face down on some newspaper, then give the back a light overall coating, before positioning it on the board.
There are, of course, many more sophisticated methods, but this was what we did at my evening class, and it produced decent results.
Alex

Yes getting stuff sent here can sometimes incur quite the premium, just for living in the Highlands...! As an aside it is cheaper for me to get materials from FotoImpex in Berlin than it is to get from any of the UK based sources... Both prices and more importantly delivery are cheaper. Standard delivery charge from FotoImpex is 10 euros.

I travel over the Erskine and south about once every six weeks or so, so I could call in at the Hobbycraft place easily enough on one of my trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN
...and cut the window with a simple Logan mat cutter; the cutter is a bit fiddly but does the job once you get to know how to use it. Mine is an old version of this design: http://www.logangraphic.com/product/...ld-mat-cutter/
The mount cutters I think are quite expensive, so might have to scour fleabay for a 2nd hand one.

Thanks so far for the info.

Last edited by longhouselife; 14th February 2019 at 09:40 PM.
Old 14th February 2019, 09:42 PM
Friend

There are different ways of cutting mounts. Big, roller cutters like Rotatrim are excellent, but expensive and bulky. You can find alternatives, however, depending on what you need to do. Logan make a mount cutting knife which is cheap, but of good quality. You use it with a steel rule, preferably a safety type. There’s another device that cuts 45 degree edges for window mounts. It also runs along a steel rule. It’s made by Olfa. I don’t recall it being expensive either. You can make quite presentable mounts with basic equipment.
Alex

Old 14th February 2019, 10:00 PM
Friend

Matt, this is a slightly fancier version of my old one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOGAN-Delux...gan+mat+cutter

And my simple version (newer model):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LOGAN-Delux...gan+mat+cutter

Pretty reasonable prices, I'd say. It cuts the bevel window. The trick is to use a long straight edge with a grippy backing so that it doesn't slip. With a bit of practice and a sharp blade it gives great results.
Old 14th February 2019, 10:13 PM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
... Pretty reasonable prices,..
Cost is always in the eye of the beholder Thank you for the links though, I can bookmark them and decide between film or mat's for the next month or two
Old 15th February 2019, 09:07 AM
Friend

Hi Matt,
I use Daler mount board that I get locally, mount board is generally available in caft/art shops, you will need to cut it down to size, I use a spray mount to mount the prints to the board, then I cut matts using a recently bought Logan matt cutter, useful as it both cuts the boards down to size and cuts the mats, very easy, for cutting boards a simple stanley knife is fine, just be careful of your fingers and get a metal ruler as a straight edge, as for a mat cutter, no need to spend a lot to start, a simple olfa mat cutter which cost £20 or less works fine, just a bit more fiddy, as for sticking the mat, put 2 lengths of sticky tape over 2 corners of the mount board, then put the mat on top, line it up then press down on the sticky tape, turn it over and use parcel tape or even masking tape along the top edge job done, I always mount my prints on backing board smaller then the mat to make it easier to stick the mat down, as for size, I print full frame on 9 1/2 by 12 paper and my mat is cut to 20 by 16, and I try and get a 4 inch border all round which does mean that I need to cut the mat board down slightly smaller to allow for rhe print size
Richard
Old 15th February 2019, 09:56 AM
Friend

Hi again Matt
I sould have said that very often when overmatting my prints I initialy use good old fashioned photo corners to mount the print on the back board, bit of a pain with FB paper but the safest way using acid free corners, and better for the print in the long term than spray photo mount as if you want to change a mount board, also, it is quite acceptable to simply stick your print onto the mpunt board without the overmatt at least to start, the over mat helps to protect the print and looks nice, but if you simply want to start mounting prints then a simple print on top of the mount board is acceptable but I would suggest that you do mat the print
also, Firstcall photographic have their own brand mount board and are doing a special offer on them at buy 2 get third free, in packs of 10 not bad value,even with the postage which you suffer from as well as me
Richard
Old 15th February 2019, 12:26 PM
longhouselife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gould View Post
Hi again Matt
I sould have said that very often when overmatting my prints I initialy use good old fashioned photo corners to mount the print on the back board, bit of a pain with FB paper but the safest way using acid free corners, and better for the print in the long term than spray photo mount as if you want to change a mount board, also, it is quite acceptable to simply stick your print onto the mpunt board without the overmatt at least to start, the over mat helps to protect the print and looks nice, but if you simply want to start mounting prints then a simple print on top of the mount board is acceptable but I would suggest that you do mat the print
also, Firstcall photographic have their own brand mount board and are doing a special offer on them at buy 2 get third free, in packs of 10 not bad value,even with the postage which you suffer from as well as me
Richard

Thank you for the suggestions. The Olfa cutter is certainly more affordable, and I have found on Amazon and bookmarked. Same with the FC mount boards. I shall have to add sequentially over the next few months to my stock of materials.

It's important to me to rationalise expected outlay like this - in order for me to fulfil creative needs, to balance other pressures on very limited income, to stay motivated
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies