Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th January 2021, 09:00 PM
Friend

Default Need a harder print than Grade 5 ?

I am trying to do a high key series of prints and have need to try of a harder print than G5 will give me.

I am using Ilford MGFB paper with Ilford MG Dev at 1+5 for 3.5 mins (the print seems to reach finality at 3 min - so a bit longer for print to print consistency).

Has anyone any suggestions ?

One of my own was to consider trying to mix my own Beers Two Sol'n variable contrast developer and mixing up the developer to a high contrast solution.

Any thoughts/experiences with this ?

Thanks

Martin
Old 13th January 2021, 10:45 PM
Friend

Hi Martin, have you thought about negative intensification in order to boost contrast?

I haven't tried it myself but it could offer an effective solution to your problem.

Personally, I find condenser enlargers add a 1+ contrast grade, if that option is available to you.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 14th January 2021, 06:16 AM
Friend

You may combine the following things:
- use a grade 5 filter combined with maximum magenta filtering
- use a high contrast developer. If using your usual dev, dilute it as less as possible.
- shorten the exposure and lengthen the developing time as long as possible
- Increase contrast of the negative by Selen toning

Combining all of this you should gain at least one grade.
--
Uwe
Old 22nd January 2021, 10:11 PM
Friend

Hi guys

Thanks for the replies - they have given me some useful ideas.

I have had a look through my Darkroom Cookbook where there is a short section on Negative Intensification.

I don't fancy giving Chromium Intensifier a go as one of the main ingredients is hydrochloric acid and the other potassium dichromate - both of which are hazardous.

However, it says Ansel Adams used Selenium Toner to intensify some of his negatives at a 1+2 solution for 5 minutes - which sounds pretty easy - so I'll give it a go let you know.

I also still fancy having a go with Beers Two Solution variable contrast developer and mixing up the developer to a high contrast solution.

The Darkroom Cookbook has the recipe and Firstcall have all the chemicals available.

I remember the keeping properties of the made up solutions as being very poor, so I'll need to get myself set and ready to go, if I want to try it out.

Thanks for your help.

Martin
Old 22nd January 2021, 11:22 PM
Friend

I’m with Uwe on this. Recently I’ve been using Ilford Delta 3200 but have had very low contrast negs (using Ilford’s recommended times). My probe tells me grade 5 is up to 2 grades too low, but I find if I shorten the exposure by up to 2 stops & let it develop for the full 3 mins (Multigrade developer 1:9 and Ilford Classic fibre) I actually get very acceptable prints.
Good luck!
Michael
Old 23rd January 2021, 12:47 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMiguel View Post
I’m with Uwe on this. Recently I’ve been using Ilford Delta 3200 but have had very low contrast negs (using Ilford’s recommended times). My probe tells me grade 5 is up to 2 grades too low, but I find if I shorten the exposure by up to 2 stops & let it develop for the full 3 mins (Multigrade developer 1:9 and Ilford Classic fibre) I actually get very acceptable prints.
Good luck!
Michael
An interesting method, Michael. So you mean that you shorten the exposure of the paper under the enlarger by 2 stops. How does this actually work? By that I mean that if I were to attempt this with say a 5x7 print then my exposure of say 10 -12 secs might be reduced to 3 secs?

Have I got this 2 stop reduction right?

Thanks

Mike
Old 23rd January 2021, 08:59 AM
Friend

Martin have you thought about trying lith. It might give you more contrast.

www.davidlingham.uk
Old 23rd January 2021, 09:55 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Hi guys

Thanks for the replies - they have given me some useful ideas.

I have had a look through my Darkroom Cookbook where there is a short section on Negative Intensification.

I don't fancy giving Chromium Intensifier a go as one of the main ingredients is hydrochloric acid and the other potassium dichromate - both of which are hazardous.

However, it says Ansel Adams used Selenium Toner to intensify some of his negatives at a 1+2 solution for 5 minutes - which sounds pretty easy - so I'll give it a go let you know.

I also still fancy having a go with Beers Two Solution variable contrast developer and mixing up the developer to a high contrast solution.

The Darkroom Cookbook has the recipe and Firstcall have all the chemicals available.

I remember the keeping properties of the made up solutions as being very poor, so I'll need to get myself set and ready to go, if I want to try it out.

Thanks for your help.

Martin
Selenium toner is also not completely non-hazardous and what our grandfathers used was uranyl nitrate. I believe Kodak used to recommend it as a uranium toner many years ago.
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:01 AM
Friend

That’s correct, Mike. My timer allows me to reduce the suggested times in fractions of an f-stop and I do a test strip first, but about 2 full stops works for me, for the given paper/developer combination already mentioned.
This may just be something that works for my set-up so I can’t guarantee it will work for you but I thought I’d mention it as something perhaps worth trying.
Rgs,
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
An interesting method, Michael. So you mean that you shorten the exposure of the paper under the enlarger by 2 stops. How does this actually work? By that I mean that if I were to attempt this with say a 5x7 print then my exposure of say 10 -12 secs might be reduced to 3 secs?

Have I got this 2 stop reduction right?

Thanks

Mike
Old 23rd January 2021, 11:56 AM
Friend

Mention has been made of making lith negatives, I made quite a few in the past.
If these extreme contrast prints are acceptable, have a look at the bromoil process as well.
There are quite a few excellent detailed articles about bromoil on the web. Quite a few on Youtube as well.
Cheers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies