Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Feedback and forum matters

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 28th August 2013, 10:32 PM
Friend

I remember we had problems with Internet Explorer and switched to Google Chrome which is much better. (How we switched is a bit of a mystery, as it just seemed to appear one day.....)

Going a bit "off topic", I've been interested in Linux for a while as I've heard there's some good image processing software available for it - to process scanned film with, of course!

I'm also a bit concerned with Microsoft having a virtual monopoly on a global communications protocol: can you imagine if one company had a monopoly on telephones, or indeed cameras?

Last edited by JamesK; 28th August 2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Old 28th August 2013, 11:58 PM
Friend

Richard: Thanks for your contribution. The easy bit first. My idea of buying a new computer, software and getting a new email address is to start computing afresh. No unwanted email, commercial junk mail or bits and pieces of long deleted programs on new disks. I could buy a new operating system for about £120 from PC World or Staples, but that would not make sense as this computer is too old and is getting to be 'on borrowed time' and not viable to spend out on.

The difficult bit. Can you confirm that Internet Explorer is definitely my computer problem. Anyone else had similar problems as I am still asking.

Peterlg: I have had a Mac and had use of another. They are great for typesetting and other graphic arts functions. They are/were the industry standard and did everything I wanted them to do with the exception of communicating. I found them tediously frustrating and definitely not user friendly. Email, word processing spreadsheet and database programmes I found difficult. No doubt the problems then have been sorted by now. As I no longer have any involvement in printing I have not used one in years. I prefer to stay mainstream with a PC. They also seem to be much more expensive. A pal who is a musician also sings their praises for musical applications, but he always phones and never sends any emails.
Old 29th August 2013, 07:05 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanJones View Post
Richard: Thanks for your contribution. The easy bit first. My idea of buying a new computer, software and getting a new email address is to start computing afresh. No unwanted email, commercial junk mail or bits and pieces of long deleted programs on new disks. I could buy a new operating system for about £120 from PC World or Staples, but that would not make sense as this computer is too old and is getting to be 'on borrowed time' and not viable to spend out on.

The difficult bit. Can you confirm that Internet Explorer is definitely my computer problem. Anyone else had similar problems as I am still asking.

Peterlg: I have had a Mac and had use of another. They are great for typesetting and other graphic arts functions. They are/were the industry standard and did everything I wanted them to do with the exception of communicating. I found them tediously frustrating and definitely not user friendly. Email, word processing spreadsheet and database programmes I found difficult. No doubt the problems then have been sorted by now. As I no longer have any involvement in printing I have not used one in years. I prefer to stay mainstream with a PC. They also seem to be much more expensive. A pal who is a musician also sings their praises for musical applications, but he always phones and never sends any emails.
Macs are great - I have owned two - a Quadra Server and an old Mk II iMac. iMac went bang, Quadra has a 850MB Hard Drive . . so the gift of my parents-in-laws old computer was a blessing.
But it is an old machine now, with limited memory, however I run Tune-Up Utilities every week, and it deals with a huge number of problems. without it I think it will have ground to a halt years ago - a new computer isn't always the way ahead.
Bob was right about XP being old, but I still get Security Updates from them.
I also have Microsoft Security Essentials installed as my security- it is free, unbloated and runs very well indeed.
I know I'll need a new computer some day in the not too distant future though, but in the meantime I use these simple things to keep me running.
Phil
Old 29th August 2013, 07:59 AM
Friend

Alan - I can't confirm that IE9 is the problem, no. I've not used it, I have IE8 on this machine, but I find Firefox to be reliable and effective. I've been using it since the days of Netscape. Having said that, on this machine there are a very few web sites that don't display properly in Firefox (but do in FF on my Win7 machine) but I've never worked out why.

I understand about the junk e-mail, it drives me nuts too. But you can keep your old address active while you migrate to a new one, letting the people you do want to hear from know your e-mail address is changing.

I believe Windows XP will stop being updated within 12 months but I'm not about to change to Win8. O no .

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 29th August 2013, 10:40 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesK View Post
I remember we had problems with Internet Explorer and switched to Google Chrome which is much better. (How we switched is a bit of a mystery, as it just seemed to appear one day.....)

?
Google Chrome installs by default with certain updates, Java I think, unless you untick a box on the pop up.

My desktop runs Windows 7, it has to being relatively new, but I too prefer a lot about XP which I have on an older laptop. I like Outlook Express and the way My Pictures operated.
Old 29th August 2013, 10:39 PM
Friend

Alan, I can't confirm Internet Explorer is the problem, but it would do sod all properly on my computer so I think it's a strong probability.

Paul, thanks for solving the mysteryl! Now I've only got to figure how to link the e-mails to Google Chrome and I can get rid of Internet Explorer altogether.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies