Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 26th December 2019, 03:20 PM
Friend

It is nice to see that I am not the only one that can be nostalgic about a book.
Mine was passed on to a budding photographer in the 1980s.

Is the 2011 version much better, and why?
Is it worth getting an early version and a late version?

There are plenty on the auction site and most at very reasonable prices.

Cheers all.
Old 27th December 2019, 09:01 AM
Friend

I have about 6 or 7 different versions as well as a Selo Manual of Photography.

Difficult to date the first as there's no date but it's The Manual of Photography, then I have the first to be called The Ilford Manual of Photography and various between then and a wartime (WWII) edition and. I think I have 3 later editions the last being again The Manual of Photography.

I have a couple of Gevaert Manual of Photography books as well one pre WWII the other a year or two before they merged with Agfa.

The Ilford Manuals were a required course book for Photography students for some years, really only superseded when Michael Langford of Birmingham School of Photography (later at the RCA) wrote Basic Photography, Advanced Photography, and Professional Photography.

Ian
Old 27th December 2019, 01:41 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I have about 6 or 7 different versions as well as a Selo Manual of Photography.

Ian
Reading about the various copies in this thread, has made me think that the one recent copy that I already have is just not enough.

I've therefore bought and put bids in on a range of these dated books, as I love the older books with their fading pages, which are full of formulae and talk about what people used to do in the darkroom, photography wise

Call it a late-ish set of Christmas presents to myself.

Terry S
Old 27th December 2019, 02:44 PM
Friend

Smile

You're a little tinker Terry.
I should have kept schtum and put a few bids on myself.

Relax, I wont be bidding against you for a couple of weeks yet.

Cheers to you Terry.

And A happy Christmas.
Old 27th December 2019, 03:26 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry S View Post
Reading about the various copies in this thread, has made me think that the one recent copy that I already have is just not enough.

I've therefore bought and put bids in on a range of these dated books, as I love the older books with their fading pages, which are full of formulae and talk about what people used to do in the darkroom, photography wise

Call it a late-ish set of Christmas presents to myself.

Terry S

I collected mine over a period of years,for research while working as a photo=chemist, I've just filled in the odd gaps here and there in recent years.

Perhaps the information I've gleaned from Patents and sometimes personal contacts have been more useful in some ways.

The other two books I's suggest buying are Developing, and also Enlarging by Curt (Kurt) Jacobson, I have the first edition of both and the 18th of Developing and I think the 15th, and similar late versions of Enlarging (not so many Editions or languages).

Ian
Old 5th January 2020, 12:45 PM
Friend

The danger of browsing interesting-looking threads here - have just ordered The Manual of photography: Formerly the Ilford manual of photography Hardcover – 1978 - all 628 pages of it! £12.61 inc postage from Owl Books / Amazon. Will be interesting to compare with my copy of Michael Langford's 'Basic Photography (7th Edition)'. Presumably it will be free of any and all references to anything remotely connected with digital photography (unlike Langford's 7th edition).
Flickr Site
Old 20th January 2020, 04:16 PM
Friend

Ref post #26, the The Manual of Photography arrived today. Lots to dip into on dark winter nights!
Flickr Site
Old 21st January 2020, 10:36 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithM View Post
Ref post #26, the The Manual of Photography arrived today. Lots to dip into on dark winter nights!
An excellent book and still very useful in the digital age. Even more useful for proper photography.

Sent from my 8070 using Tapatalk
Old 21st January 2020, 11:19 PM
Friend

i found this book while on gumtree for maybe £5 plus postage. just had a look at it. i must actually go through the book
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies