Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 8th November 2014, 08:39 PM
Friend

Default 5x4 Neg Washing

Has anyone tried to use a Paterson RC Rapid print washer 8x10 to wash their 5x4 Negs (http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/pat...8x10-925-p.asp) ?

Yes, I know its designed for paper, but effectively there is little difference between the washing requirements of a sheet of RC and a sheet of film.

I have been wondering if the Paterson Washer isn't an effective way of delivering a final wash, which guarantees that both the emulsion and anti-halation sides of the film are adequately washed.

Thanks

Martin
Old 8th November 2014, 09:46 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
Has anyone tried to use a Paterson RC Rapid print washer 8x10 to wash their 5x4 Negs (http://www.ag-photographic.co.uk/pat...8x10-925-p.asp) ?

Yes, I know its designed for paper, but effectively there is little difference between the washing requirements of a sheet of RC and a sheet of film.

I have been wondering if the Paterson Washer isn't an effective way of delivering a final wash, which guarantees that both the emulsion and anti-halation sides of the film are adequately washed.

Thanks

Martin
The Paterson washer should be more than adequate, film requires much less washing than fibre based paper as film base is impermeable to water, the washing of sheet film is more akin to washing RC papers as you say, I carefully wash my sheet films in a large tray using a Kodak dish syphon.

Last edited by vanannan; 8th November 2014 at 09:55 PM.
Old 8th November 2014, 10:32 PM
Friend

I use my Paterson Major washer for 8x10 and 4x5 film. It works superbly. And I have it connected to a clockwork Tap-Timer so it works unattended and shuts off automatically at the end of the wash time...15 minutes.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 9th November 2014, 07:54 AM
Friend

I use the paterson washer for my 5x4 negs. and it works perfectly. I put them in emulsion side up which is probably safest.

Richard
Old 11th November 2014, 04:07 PM
Friend

Thanks guys

Looks as if it will work fine - Emulsion side up

Regards

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies