Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - medium format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 12th November 2014, 05:20 PM
Friend

Question Which Rolleiflex Model?

I was given a Rolleiflex camera by my Aunt today which belonged to her late husband. The camera is a TLR which looks to be in superb condition in an ever ready case complete with many accessories.

The taking is a Schneider Kreuznach Xenotar 1:2.8/80 with a serial number 5543942 in a synchro-compur shutter if that helps.

Does anyone know which model Rolleiflex it could be?
Old 12th November 2014, 05:25 PM
Friend

It could be anyone of many, The best place to look it up would be the Rollei club, they list models by serial number, Rolleiflex/cords only used the Compur shutter and several models used the Xenotar lens, is is a terrific lens, I have two retinas with the same lens and it is so sharp you could cut yourself with it, Hope you have many enjoyable films with it
Richard
Old 12th November 2014, 05:28 PM
Friend

Hi. It sounds like a good one! The 2.8 lenses appear on the more expensive versions. There was good info available online to help identify a particular model. There is a Rollei Clu, and I think you can view their archive without necessarily joining. A very nice gift!

Alex
Old 12th November 2014, 06:33 PM
Friend

Thanks Richard and Alex. The serial number above the Rolleiflex logo is 1662085. A 2.8E perhaps?
Old 12th November 2014, 08:06 PM
Friend

A fairly late 2.8E I think. Made from 1956-59. You should get a copy of the Complete Rollei TLR Collectors Guide by Ian Parker. Published by Hove. There is also a user guide by the same author. They are very good, and shouldn't cost much. I forgot I had them until I got home this evening.
Alex
Old 12th November 2014, 08:25 PM
Friend

If you want to know a good deal more about your camera, then this book is extremely good.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Classic-Roll...eywords=rollei

and you can try ABE for some cheaper prices, even though it's owned by Amazon.

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/Se...=t&n=200000169

And this link to the Rollei Club indicates that you have a 2.8 E K7E.

http://www.rolleiclub.com/cameras/tl.../A-F_tlr.shtml

Nick
Old 13th November 2014, 09:05 AM
Friend

well the serial number seems to point to this one ,,,but its got the wrong lens on it

Rolleiflex Automat 6x6 - Model K4B

April 1954 - September 1956
Serials: 1.428.001 - 1.739.999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taking Lens:
Zeiss Jena Tessar 3,5/75
Zeiss Oberkochen Opton 3,5/75
Schneider Xenar 3,5/75
All with filter Bayonet I
Finder lens:
Heidoscop Anastigmat 2,8/75mm
Bayonet I
Shutter:
Compur - Rapid, 1 - 1/500 sec., T & B, self timer. M X sync.

Last edited by donut; 13th November 2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 13th November 2014, 11:57 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
A fairly late 2.8E I think. Made from 1956-59. You should get a copy of the Complete Rollei TLR Collectors Guide by Ian Parker. Published by Hove. There is also a user guide by the same author. They are very good, and shouldn't cost much. I forgot I had them until I got home this evening.
Alex

I see from my book there were also 2.8E models 2 and 3. These came later, but your number suggests a later example of the original batch ('56-59) which is just called a 2.8E, model K7E (I think).
Alex
Old 13th November 2014, 12:27 PM
Friend

I was given one the same Serial : 1652155 with the f2.8 Xenotar and then a Club member gave me a 35mm 'Rolleikin' set for it and fitted it in for me as he never used it ! Camera belonged to the Staff Photographer of the Romford Recorder Peter White -- he sold it to the gent who was a Rotarian and who owned a Newspaper Shop -- well I always offered to check it out and clean it up bur he never took me up -- then he DIED and his Widow contacted me and gave my Boy and me a large box with lots of gear -- two Olympus XA2's in presentation boxes, OM2n with 50mm and 75-150mm Zuiko lenses, the ROLLEI in case etc etc -- lens has some scratches but takes sharp photos ---
Rolleiflex 2.8E Xenotar (A) by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Rolleiflex 2.8E Xenotar (B) by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Old 13th November 2014, 03:35 PM
Friend

I should have worn my reading glasses before posting the serial number, which reads as; 'DBP 1662065 DBGM'.

The accessories included are a Rolleiflash, Plate-Adapter, Rolleikin and a Weston Master III which seems to be working well. The Camera is in a leather ever-ready case.

There is no invercone for the Weston meter though. Is the Weston system one-third higher than the ASA system or the other way around?
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies