Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > Photography in general

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 11th January 2018, 08:22 PM
Friend

Default Each to their own

Alex, I am not decrying the use of digital as a legitimate tool to make images. As the title says, - each to their own. For me I gain very little satisfaction of taking photographs and passing the resulting information through a computer to get what I originally saw - or something close to it. Digital has come on leaps and bounds since the 1st Canon D30 and is now almost fool proof, but for me it is too clean, too clinical with little risk of getting it wrong. There is no doubt about it digital images can surpass that of film.

Put it another way, I still get satisfaction from making a print, be it B&W or colour which uses my personal skill and judgement to get what I think is close enough to be acceptable. Nor do I feel the need to shoot 10-20-30 or even more frames of a particular subject. With film I take at most 3, and only if the lighting is a little tricky.

On another plane, If I wanted a quick and easy way of acquiring a piece of furniture that was functional, I would go somewhere like IKEA and buy a flatpack. Yes I have done that too. Most of my darkroom is ex IKEA flatpack, benches and tables etc. But if I wanted something of value and I was capable of making it, I would dig out my woodworking tools and make it from raw wood.

Perhaps that is the reason why digital is so popular, because it is so very easy and needs little practical skill is needed to get something that to them is satisfactory. I prefer not to join the optical/electronic rat race. Even at my age I still like a bit of a challenge.

Yes I do use digital, but more and more it is simply a tool that I use to record day to day events and reference pictures at the open air museum where I am a tour guide. Little thought has to go into the task so long as I get something to satisfy the management.

Last edited by John King; 11th January 2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11th January 2018, 08:29 PM
Friend

I admit I’m the fuddy-duddy at the photo club where I attend but I really don’t know for how much longer. There is just such a gulf between what I do and appreciate and the rest.

For example, just last monday there were macro photos using photo-stacking of over 100 images, panorama’s where 20 images had been stitched together and hdr images combined from 7 exposures.

On top of that, pictures of kingfishers lured to a private hide by the promise of an infinity pool of endless fish and birds of prey (Ospreys) with gorged gizzards baited by pigeons firmly secured to stakes.

So unfortunately, if the image looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true.

Thank goodness for fadu and all who post on her and best of luck with your real photography group.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 11th January 2018, 09:24 PM
Friend

Well, I’m involved in this Forum because my main interest is in traditional photography. The ‘new’ photography by electronic means has, however, really taken off. More people than ever are engaged in creative photography. I think this is good for photography in general. Young people who are already well versed in digital imaging seem keen to explore traditional methods. This could have a beneficial effect if the film and equipment manufacturers are persuaded to continue investing in traditional materials.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12th January 2018, 11:12 AM
Friend

Once again members have picked on this post to launch cliched attacks on digital photography and with few exceptions have ignored the point of the post. I would be unable to attend as I live in Ireland. I do however belong to a group that meets twice a year to show our analogue prints and discuss them.

Vincent - Not afraid of the dark
Old 12th January 2018, 11:53 AM
Friend

Vincent I am struggling to see where we have used cliched attacks on digital imaging. I use both mediums as I said but get far more satisfaction from film based pictures than I do from digital. If they want to go down the route of digital that is their perogative

I have not evaded the original topic when I said that because of the distance from where the group is proposing to meet is just too far away for me.

We all have our ideas of what makes us tick and if we don't like the way digital is taking photography we are entitled to say so as long as we are not offensive to anyone identifiable with the comments.

As for the judge who made the statements she admitted to me she had never even been in a darkroom and had no idea of how to make a print. She was the one who was slightly offensive to me by telling me to modernise.
Old 12th January 2018, 12:11 PM
Friend

The original post seems to be brought about by a dislike/dissatisfaction with digital methods, and the ability to alter the content of a scene. I can’t imagine that there are too many film based images in that persons current club/society which have had elements added or removed, although I accept that such manipulation is available to people working with film. I have no difficulty with clubs or organisations set up to cater to film and Darkroom workers. I do have some reservations about the title ‘Real Photography’. Like others, the proposed meetings would be out of range for me.
Alex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 12th January 2018, 01:48 PM
Friend

I will share a little story about a conversation I had back in 1991 when I as a work experience lad at the Chronicle and Echo newspaper in Northampton. They had some superb photographers available including staff at the time. I latched onto one a guy a bit who was a few years older because he had what appeared a real sharp talent. He came in the final 3 that year of Ilford's famous competition back then that everyone wanted to win and several months later got on the staff at the Independent. I asked his advice about photography clubs as I wasn't in one back then and everyone thought it was good to be in clubs pre-internet days, his advice was that it would ruin any hope I ever had of becoming a good photographer, avoid like the plague. This startled me a bit I have to say but its interesting that there has always been an aversion to amateur groups long before the internet and long before digital.

Another thing he said in that conversation has always stuck with me as probably the very best photography advice I have ever heard. Back then I didn't have a car or motorbike, just rode the bus or my pushbike. He was quite clear, rather than spend money on more camera kit buy a moped and get out there on it with my camera.

I would love to meet up with some of you guys, I note I have been part of this group for a while but not taken part in anything yet, something I intend to change this year.
Old 12th January 2018, 03:47 PM
Friend

There is nothing at all wrong with this idea and the proposed name 'Real Photography' is perfect to decribe the group's function.

As far as I am concerned the more groups / clubs / or whatever that exist to support the creation of PRINTS by traditional means the better it must be for all who share the passion.

Alas this one is too far away for me to join but I do wish it every success.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 12th January 2018, 08:21 PM
Friend

that's what we are here a , a real photography group ,and long may it last
Old 13th January 2018, 12:04 AM
Friend

I am 83, and that alone should announce my preference and passion for “real photography” – a term I’m totally happy with. Photographic life began in my early teens, using my father’s Kodak folder to photograph the strings of fish we caught together. The folder continued with me into college, where upon graduation he gifted me with Minolta’s very first 35mm camera (and had no idea what he’d started), mostly I think because he wanted his folder back. Once in the work force, I partook of the camera club but soon was very turned off by the rules of composition and where the subject with a red shirt should be placed in the composition, and that ended it for me. Then, after befriending a coworker with a darkroom, I upgraded to Leica M3 and Focomat Ic and started down the fun-filled rabbit hole of B&W printing. Then my life changed for good at an Ansel Adams Yosemite workshop, followed closely by three more specializing in specific landscape challenges – and it’s been exclusively large format B&W Zone System work ever since. I do have a digital camera donated by my grandson (total techie) that I use to shoot my wife’s pets and the grandson’s new baby, but certainly not for serious work.

I do wish OP a successful club endeavor, but urge him to let creativity flourish through open discussion and print critiques with members and without authoritative dictation from judges. The experienced printers will make themselves known readily.

Last edited by Jerry Bodine; 13th January 2018 at 12:17 AM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies