Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Reviews > Books

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 2nd November 2010, 08:40 AM
Friend

Default David Bailey EYE

David Bailey EYE

ISBN: 978-3-86521-708-0

My wife came back from the library the other day with this book and I must say it rather took me and I thought it would be worth a mention here. The quality of the reproduction of the images is something to witness and they are of large size. In fact this is a large coffee-table book and some of the images spread over two pages. There are some colour images but mostly the images mono. It is interesting to see his gritty 35mm work mixed with the beautiful smooth tones of his large format work. The latter being reproduced with the negative rebate detail visable.

I have been to several David Bailey exhibitions and I would say this is about the best you will get to actually seeing his work in the flesh. If you are interested in David Bailey, or his style of portraiture, this book is worth having a look at – check out your local library as it may well be in there – and for free!

Neil

Neil Souch
Old 2nd November 2010, 11:50 AM
Friend

Thanks Neil. Clearly if it isn't there it can be obtained on an inter-library loan within one county at a modest price.

Maybe one of the benefits of this new idea of combining several counties into one library system to save council money will be easier and cheaper access to books.

Currently the out of county loan charge rises considerably in the Northants charges.

Mike
Old 2nd November 2010, 01:43 PM
Friend

Mike,
I see it cost £44 so it's not cheap although I dare say it could be had cheaper on the net. Ask you library that's the best bet and I'm sure they will find a copy. Jean says the copy we have here was sourced from the Penzance library from their arts section (cost 50p to obtain).

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 2nd November 2010, 02:01 PM
Friend

Yes not cheap but occasionally the same county library inter loan can work in your favour. I obtained Gene Nocon's printing book from elsewhere in Northants and renewed it a few times as it was requested by anyone from the loaning library. I eventually returned it and noticed that it stayed in my local library and was eventually put up for sale at I think £1.

The great thing is that when books reach a certain age they seem to be automatically put up for sale by the library and the price is set irrespective of its original value. So a Bailey book will be sold for exactly the same price as a fiction hardback.

So you never know it might remain in your library and then be sold from there. Worth keeping an eye out for library sales. I have obtained a few that way.

Some secondhand booksellers on Amazon do just that. I have had a couple from Amazon and Allibris which were discarded library books.

No I didn't buy the Nocon book in the end. I had already bought from Amazon Tim Rudman's printing book.

Mike
Old 2nd November 2010, 02:33 PM
Friend

Mike,

I don't think you would want to buy the DB EYE book unless you have extra large shelves as it is huge and heavy

Neil.

Neil Souch
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies