Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 20th April 2011, 03:55 PM
Friend

Default Nikon F3 with MD-4

Well, I finally did it. After years of longing for one, I’ve done it. I have just bought an immaculate Nikon F3 with MD-4 motordrive off ebay and it arrived this morning. I have unpacked it, assembled it all and put a roll of Kodak T-Max 100 in it because that’s all I had at this moment in time. From now on and for the future it will be Fuji Acros 100 developed in Paterson FX-39 if I can get some.

OK so at the moment I don’t have any AIS lenses apart from a 50mm f1.4 so I have been using my plastic bodied 85mm f1.8 AFD lens which has performed fine with this camera but further ambition means that I would now like a 105mm f2.5 AIS Nikon lens. Maybe at some point in the future I shall be able to afford one.

So, with a truly glorious Easter weekend in store, I am at least satisfied for a while.
Old 20th April 2011, 04:05 PM
Friend

Good for you, but is that a week while or a month while?
Old 20th April 2011, 04:24 PM
Friend

Well done , Shaun, have fun over Easter with it, I have just got a Ensign Selfix 820, and I am looking forward to running some fomapan though it aver the coming long weekend,
Richard
Old 20th April 2011, 07:26 PM
Friend

[QUOTE=ShaunH;51049]Well, I finally did it. After years of longing for one, I’ve done it. I have just bought an immaculate Nikon F3 with MD-4 motordrive off ebay and it arrived this morning. I have unpacked it, assembled it all and put a roll of Kodak T-Max 100 in it because that’s all I had at this moment in time. From now on and for the future it will be Fuji Acros 100 developed in Paterson FX-39 if I can get some.

OK so at the moment I don’t have any AIS lenses apart from a 50mm f1.4 so I have been using my plastic bodied 85mm f1.8 AFD lens which has performed fine with this camera but further ambition means that I would now like a 105mm f2.5 AIS Nikon lens. Maybe at some point in the future I shall be able to afford one.

So, with a truly glorious Easter weekend in store, I am at least satisfied for a while.[/QUOTE

Well done the Nikon F3 is a really nice camera. In fact part of the largest system ever produced for a 35mm camera with lots of accessories available you will be able to tailor the ideal system for your needs. I used to have an F3HP which I used extensively for mountain and climbing photography albeit that was in my Kodachrome days. I am sure it will perform equally as well shooting B&W. The E series lenses are fine and should not be ruled out. The main Nikkor lenses are more expensive and virtually bomb proof they are made to meet the demands of professionals. I am assuming that if you have bought this camera you are not a professional so explore the E series lenses. They are much cheaper and lighter

Regards Kenneth
Old 20th April 2011, 10:25 PM
Friend

I have a F5, F4 & A F3, the F3 with the md-4 is a absolute delight to use, has a wonderful sound and feel, plus you can make it very light by removing the md-4.

I hope you will have a eternity of fun with it, I am sure you will, it is a terrific setup you have there.
Old 21st April 2011, 02:22 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Good for you, but is that a week while or a month while?
Are we really that predictable...?
Old 21st April 2011, 02:24 PM
Friend

Kenneth, I have been told so many times to avoid the 'E' Series lenses but after what you have said, I may not any longer.
Old 21st April 2011, 02:26 PM
Friend

I do have a Nikon F5 as well that has been my main camera for around five years now hence I have a few AFD lenses. It will be nice though to treat myself to some AIS lenses as and when I can afford it.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:51 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunH View Post
Kenneth, I have been told so many times to avoid the 'E' Series lenses but after what you have said, I may not any longer.
I think you are wise unless you are going to a war zone as a photo journalist.

From memory I had a 24mm- 55mm macro and a 90mm. Also it is worth looking at the El Nikkor Enlarger lenses in 50mm format for 35mm. They are super lenses and not silly money.

I remember I had a waist level finder which is really useful for close up work on a tripod and perfect for street photography as your subject is not quite sure what you are pointing your camera at.

Finally if you come across any books written by Galen Rowell they are worth studying. His mountain photography is hard to better and he was also a Nikon photographer and discussed various aspects of Nikon systems alongside his work. I say was. He was tragically killed in a helicopter accident but what an incredibly full life he had.

Regards Kenneth
Old 22nd April 2011, 09:46 AM
Friend

If I am lucky enough and funds allow, I would like to buy a 24mm ais lens and a 55mm macro ais lens but the one I would really like is the 105mm f2.5. I have been using EL-Nikkor lenses in my darkrooms since around 1985. I have not yet found anything significantly better. I use them for 35mm and medium format but whilst I was involved in field camera work I used a Rodenstock.

At the moment I am in the process of re-inventing my photography having had a rather grey time of lacking any form of commitment to it through a lack of artistic sight. I think I am getting back that little spark of excitement that see's one through those dark days.

A lot of this could be due to where I live. I am in Pickering in North Yorkshire which is a very insular place and I left all of my friends behind when I moved here in 2005 so lost a lot of enthusiasm for photography. I find it hard to stay keen on a subject when there is no one to reflect ideas off. All in all, at the moment, photography is quite difficult.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies