Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th July 2021, 04:24 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
So no matter what light conditions she photographed in she could tell by the back of her hand what an appropriate shutter speed and aperture was?

Mike
I think that I have heard or seen in her DVD, mention of this as well.

I suppose it's like anything and just like professional darkroom printers and other photographers who use the same kind of set up regularly. If you do something often enough, you end up not needing a meter or test-strip to get the exposure that you want. It is a skill that I am far from mastering so far.

Terry S
Old 19th July 2021, 06:16 PM
Friend

It is mentioned in the Guardian/Observer's obituary.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandde...c/21/jane-bown

"With some reluctance, she abandoned her beloved Rolliflex in the early 60s, first migrating to a 35mm Pentax before settling on the OIympus OM1 – she owned about a dozen Olympus cameras, all bought secondhand. Throughout her career she referred to herself as a “hack”, and even when her reputation was at it height, she always deferred to the picture editor. She worked almost exclusively with natural light and ignored the camera’s in-built light meter, preferring instead to hold a clenched fist away from her body to see how the light fell on the back of her hand. In fact, Jane once admitted to me that her preferred setting was f2.8 at 1/60 second and that she would, if at all possible, conspire to make the environment work at this setting – indirect sunlight from a north-facing window would usually achieve it."
Old 19th July 2021, 07:00 PM
Friend

Thanks. Nick. I suppose that is what a lifetime of taking photoscan enable you to do although the expanded text indicates that she used light conditions and contrived to make those conditions met her preferred combination of shutter speed and aperture

I had perhaps read what you'd written too literally by somehow assuming the back of her hand was the equivalent of the versatility of a light meter

Mike
Old 20th July 2021, 10:56 AM
Friend

She was from an age when most films had a decent exposure leaflet in the carton.
I have loads of good old family photographs taken on box cameras and folders by my aunts, uncles and parents. All taken without the aid of meters, just the afore mentioned leaflets, possibly a cardboard exposure calculator.
The clenched fist is probably a handy 3d item to get an idea of the modelling of the light.
Very few poor exposures amongst those old family photographs, but still not in her class.

Cheers.
Old 21st July 2021, 11:05 AM
Friend

The OM2n is a brilliant camera! I have an OM1n, OM2 and OM2n and they are all superb but the OM2n is my go-to 35mm camera for just about anything. During lockdown and recovery from illness last year I discovered the amazing Olympus OM Zuiko macro lenses and accessories and now have a 50mm f3.5, 80mm f4 and 135mm f4.5 macro lenses and 65-116 telescopic extension tube. The lenses and camera are awesome - only limited by my technique (which is getting there!).
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies