Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Darkroom

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 6th March 2016, 12:28 AM
Friend

Default Suitable Reel for 127 Film

I need to try and adapt an old Jobo reel( the kind that can be 35mm or 120) to take a 127 film.

127 film has a width of 46mm as I understand it. My thoughts are to tape the two halves of the reel together so that it measures say 47mm and is in effect a fixed reel and then simply feed in the film. Then use the 1520 tank as if the film is a 120.

The easiest way would be to cut off the last inch or so from the end of the 127 film which has been exposed and set up the reel on this basis. Then take the rest of film from its lightproof container and feed it in.

Would masking tape hold the reel together for say the 10-15 mins it was in developer without the chemicals reducing its stickiness enough to open it?

There may be simpler or more foolproof ways of doing this short of obtaining an old tank and reel that can be set for 127. The latter solution would not be justified as this film may be a one-off.

Comment on my idea or any other ideas would be welcome

Thanks

Mike
Old 6th March 2016, 09:08 AM
Friend

I always used Paterson adjustable reels for 127, I processed some about 3 years ago, I also use my Paterson reels in my Jobo 2000 (inversion tanks) usually alongside the 5x4 reels.

Ian
Old 6th March 2016, 09:11 AM
Friend

I used some 127 film as a student in a Yashica 44 I'd been given. (Not a patch on the baby Rollei) I used one of the college department's Paterson tanks (I had stainless steel) the reel of which twisted and extended from 135 to 127 and 120. These older tanks are usually cheap to find, I had one until a few years back found almost new in a charity shop. Try the photographic cabinets of cash converter type shops, a friend found a macro ringflash in one last week which with three stepping rings in the box is giving him a lot of fun for £15.
Old 6th March 2016, 01:15 PM
Friend

Hi, there. AP reels would also take 127 film. They are nearly identical to Paterson ones and slight cheaper. The axle diameter is 25,5mm.

Cheers,M.
Old 6th March 2016, 05:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Would masking tape hold the reel together for say the 10-15 mins it was in developer without the chemicals reducing its stickiness enough to open it?
Ordinary electrical insulating tape holds things together for days of immersion. I haven't tried masking tape.
Old 6th March 2016, 09:43 PM
Friend

Thanks for the answers. As I said the 127 film may and probably will be a one-off. Yes if I could find a really cheap Paterson tank and 127 reel or a AP reel that I presume fitted an empty Paterson tank then maybe this would do but this is a small town and I have yet to see any such equipment in any local charity shop

For one film an e-bay purchase is really not on. Looks like it's unroll the film in the dark, cut off the end, place the film in a light-tight tank then use the end to gauge the width of the Jobo reel and use either masking tape or electrical tape. Then try and load the film.

The film by the way is very old Selochrome which was found in a camera but has been exposed. There may be nothing there after all these years but it is worth an experiment.

I'd better ask the developing question separately to avoid mixing up the right size reels with it.

Help on that will be appreciated. Keep an eye open for the question

Mike
Old 6th March 2016, 10:36 PM
Friend

If I had to try I'd bet on electrical tape, multiple loops to be on the safe side.
Cheers, M.
Old 7th March 2016, 12:36 PM
Friend

Mike, I could lend you my Paterson tank. No cost involved, except you pay for postage back to me!

Message me if that appeals
Old 7th March 2016, 01:14 PM
Friend

It's quite easy to see-saw roll film in a tray of developer, that's how I processed my first 120 films in the very late 1960's. It was once a common practice for odd sizes etc.

There must be someone reasonably local you can borrow a tank from Mike if you don't fancy tray development.

Ian
Old 7th March 2016, 01:24 PM
Friend

Don't the reels for the Jobo 2500 series adjust to accept 135, 120, 220, AND 127? If you can borrow a jobo 2500 tank and reel then you're laughing.

Or post it to any commercial lab running a dip&dunk machine (like the Ilford lab). For a one off this might be the way to go.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies