Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 5th October 2017, 09:38 PM
Friend

Default Need Help with Olympus Pen EE3

Hi there!
I bought a Olympus pen ee3 a couple of months ago and have been trying to figure out how to use it. I read the manual and everything, but just can't figure out how to wind the camera properly. I was able to successfully wind at one point and even got the film counter to go up to 1. But afterwards, I don't know if I did something wrong or something else, because now I can no longer move the black winder to the rightand when I press down the shoot button, it doesn't make a clicking sound (it makes a sound but not the sound it makes when it takes an actual photo). Additionally, the small black button on the bottom of the camera body is pushed in. As a result, I am unable to wind the camera and get the counter to 1, so that I can actually shoot some pictures.

Can anybody help me figure out a solution?
Thanks!
Old 6th October 2017, 09:06 PM
Friend

Welcome to FADU, Claire and sorry to hear of your problem. I hope someone here has knowledge of this camera. Alas that's not me. If no-one else has a better idea, can I suggest that in total darkness you open the camera and see if you can re-wind the film or otherwise extract it by hand. Not very much film may have been unwound so taking it out of the back and re-winding it in the darkness may not be difficult. If the film will not budge then try cutting it with scissors, re-wind the free portion of film and then in daylight examine what has happened to cause the blockage.

It sounds as if this was the first time you loaded film in this particular camera since you bought it, so it may be that there is a fault in the camera and you have done nothing wrong at all.

If the film "unsticks" successfully then try and reload to see if it happens again.

Let us know how you get on. P.S. I and the rest of FADU have no way of knowing what experience of analogue cameras you have or indeed what equipment you possess but in this case you need to find a very dark cupboard which is lightproof or use an changing bag. If neither of those is available then open the back in daylight. You will fog all the film that is unwound but not the film that is retained in the cassette so all will not be lost. If you reload then cut the film still sticking out so it ressembles the shape of the original leader.

Let us know how it goes

Mike
Old 6th October 2017, 09:31 PM
Moderator & Keeper of the Calendar

First question is have you had any films through the camera previously or is this your first one? If you have had films through it and they were successful then the camera may have developed a fault.
Things to try depend on whether you currently have a film in the camera. In the instructions i found online it says you need to rotate the spool with the sprockets on to cock the shutter. The spool is to the right of the film frame aperture If there is no film in the camera then there is no passage of the film so it is not turning the spool. Take the back off the camera and rotate the spool clockwise by hand until it locks. Then the shutter should release.
If you have a film in then do as Mike says and find somewhere dark to remove it. Then try as above.
As it is an "Electric Eye" camera with the shutter driven by the light meter round the lens is there enough light to allow the shutter to fire? Some cameras, like the Olympus Trip, will lock up to stop you taking images that would be underexposed. If you set the ISO speed to the maximum it will fire in lower light.
The rewind button being locked in should release the clutch allowing the film to be rewound. Taking the back off and rotating the spool may release that.
Hope that makes some sense and helps. As we do not know your experience level my apologies if you know about these things and have tried them.
Bill

Last edited by Bill; 6th October 2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 7th October 2017, 05:58 AM
Friend

As far as I remember the EE3 was an auto only camera and you may be trying to gt it to work in a place where there is insufficient light to allow the shutter to operate. If you are trying it indoors, wait until it is fairly bright outside and have another go.
Old 7th October 2017, 01:28 PM
Friend

I note that the black button on the bottom is pushed in which as I understand it is where it should be when you are about to rewind. Like most manual rewind systems the button when pushed somehow disengages the "clutch" to use a car analogy and allows the film to rewind.

If it is stuck in the "in "position then I imagine this prevents the film from winding forward so I am back to my original advice which is open the back, in the dark try and extract the film and rewind it but if you have no dark place then just open the camera, sacrifice some film and then have a very close look at this black button to see if you can get it to pop out. If you can, maybe try moving the button a few times to see if that eases the mechanism. Finally try a reload and see how it goes.

Mike
Old 7th October 2017, 02:25 PM
Friend

Checking my Olympus Pen-D half frame camera the rewind button won't stick in it has a spring. There's a film in the camera so I can't check but usually these lock in as you start to rewinding the film and release again when you open the camera back.

I suggest you carefully rewind the film take it out and start again, see if the rewind button pops back when you open the camera. You only need to rewind the film a couple of turns.

Ian
Old 9th October 2017, 12:29 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
Welcome to FADU, Claire and sorry to hear of your problem. I hope someone here has knowledge of this camera. Alas that's not me. If no-one else has a better idea, can I suggest that in total darkness you open the camera and see if you can re-wind the film or otherwise extract it by hand. Not very much film may have been unwound so taking it out of the back and re-winding it in the darkness may not be difficult. If the film will not budge then try cutting it with scissors, re-wind the free portion of film and then in daylight examine what has happened to cause the blockage.

It sounds as if this was the first time you loaded film in this particular camera since you bought it, so it may be that there is a fault in the camera and you have done nothing wrong at all.

If the film "unsticks" successfully then try and reload to see if it happens again.

Let us know how you get on. P.S. I and the rest of FADU have no way of knowing what experience of analogue cameras you have or indeed what equipment you possess but in this case you need to find a very dark cupboard which is lightproof or use an changing bag. If neither of those is available then open the back in daylight. You will fog all the film that is unwound but not the film that is retained in the cassette so all will not be lost. If you reload then cut the film still sticking out so it ressembles the shape of the original leader.

Let us know how it goes

Mike
Actually, this is my second time loading the film. The first time, when I loaded film, it went unsuccessfully in the aspect of the film sticking to the spool but I was able to press down on the shutter and it made the clicking sound and when I didn't have enough light, i did see the red thing. Then, at some point, I pressed down on the rewind button on the bottom because I was still kinda unfamilar with the camera, and now it's been stuck there
Old 9th October 2017, 12:31 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
First question is have you had any films through the camera previously or is this your first one? If you have had films through it and they were successful then the camera may have developed a fault.
Things to try depend on whether you currently have a film in the camera. In the instructions i found online it says you need to rotate the spool with the sprockets on to cock the shutter. The spool is to the right of the film frame aperture If there is no film in the camera then there is no passage of the film so it is not turning the spool. Take the back off the camera and rotate the spool clockwise by hand until it locks. Then the shutter should release.
If you have a film in then do as Mike says and find somewhere dark to remove it. Then try as above.
As it is an "Electric Eye" camera with the shutter driven by the light meter round the lens is there enough light to allow the shutter to fire? Some cameras, like the Olympus Trip, will lock up to stop you taking images that would be underexposed. If you set the ISO speed to the maximum it will fire in lower light.
The rewind button being locked in should release the clutch allowing the film to be rewound. Taking the back off and rotating the spool may release that.
Hope that makes some sense and helps. As we do not know your experience level my apologies if you know about these things and have tried them.
Bill
Thank you for your reply! I will try again in a place with more light.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by John King View Post
As far as I remember the EE3 was an auto only camera and you may be trying to gt it to work in a place where there is insufficient light to allow the shutter to operate. If you are trying it indoors, wait until it is fairly bright outside and have another go.
Thank you for your reply! I will try again in a place with more light.
Old 9th October 2017, 12:33 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike O'Pray View Post
I note that the black button on the bottom is pushed in which as I understand it is where it should be when you are about to rewind. Like most manual rewind systems the button when pushed somehow disengages the "clutch" to use a car analogy and allows the film to rewind.

If it is stuck in the "in "position then I imagine this prevents the film from winding forward so I am back to my original advice which is open the back, in the dark try and extract the film and rewind it but if you have no dark place then just open the camera, sacrifice some film and then have a very close look at this black button to see if you can get it to pop out. If you can, maybe try moving the button a few times to see if that eases the mechanism. Finally try a reload and see how it goes.

Mike
I will try what you said! thank you!

Tags
olympus pen
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies