Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Member Organised Functions > Print Exchanges

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 24th March 2020, 06:09 PM
Friend

I believe the greatest risk is the "leaving the home part" and the risk it carries of coming unnecessarily into contact with others who could be potential carriers of the virus.

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 24th March 2020, 06:17 PM
Friend

Although the risk may be low some of us or our wives are in the vunerable catorgary and this does cause some anxiety and worry. Removing one potential risk whether real or insignifacant does help to give peace of mind to those at risk of serious consiquences from catching the virus. Living in fear of the unknown is not a pleasant experiance especially when you have other medical problems to deal with.

Tony
Old 24th March 2020, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
I don't take part but I think you need to be more realistic and practical. The virus doesn't last long and really needs quite quick transmission as it doesn't survive long outside of a host.

Unlike most of you I did study Virology at University although some decades ago. Current thinking is this particular virus isn't transmitted by cardboard or paper and even on surfaces which permit transmission it's only active for less than 5 days, and on most far less, minutes or hours.

If there was an issue Post would be banned ! So realism is needed and a rethink.

Ian
I actually deleted my previous comments on this topic because the advice and scientific understanding of the virus is constantly changing.

According to the latest reports (about 1 week old now), SARS-CoV-2 will remain viable on cardboard packaging for 24 hours. However, our prints are not made of cardboard - the gelatin supercoat provides a smooth surface, as does the plastic coating of RC paper. The closely related SARS & MERS viruses have been shown to survive for up to 9 days on plastic, stainless steel, glass and similar smooth surfaces. (https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...st-on-surfaces). Another article suggests up to 5 days. Alternately, these may be two different interpretations of the very same CDC study...

This is the problem: whatever background we may have and whatever we read from reliable sources, the situation is constantly changing.

I do agree that, to me, it seems highly unlikely that the various factors required to transmit viable virus particles will all come together and result in spreading the infection by sending a few prints, but that is only based on the limited understanding that I have, which is itself based on articles summarising the limited number of genuine scientific studies currently available.

However reasonably well-informed I may consider myself to be, I will continue to err on the side of caution because I also know that there are far more unknowns at this point than there are knowns.

[Added:] @Marty: Yes, direct transmission from person to person by inhalation of virus particles in aerosols (coughing, sneezing - up to 10,000 viruses per droplet and approx 10,000 droplets per sneeze in the case of flu!) is by all accounts the primary vector of infection, but those choughs and sneezes also land on surfaces (after anything from a few seconds to a couple of hours in the air) so act as a secondary source of infection if transferred to the mouth, nose or eyes.

Last edited by Bob; 24th March 2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 24th March 2020, 06:32 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Marlow View Post
Although the risk may be low some of us or our wives are in the vunerable catorgary and this does cause some anxiety and worry. Removing one potential risk whether real or insignifacant does help to give peace of mind to those at risk of serious consiquences from catching the virus. Living in fear of the unknown is not a pleasant experiance especially when you have other medical problems to deal with.

Tony
There's a difference between risk being low and also non existent. A few days in the post and maybe don't open for a couple of days, would be non existent.

My wife is in teh highest risk category yet I have to shop for food etc. I think there's caution and being unrealistic.

Ian
Old 24th March 2020, 07:25 PM
Friend

Quote:
My wife is in teh highest risk category yet I have to shop for food etc. I think there's caution and being unrealistic.
Mental welfare is as equally importent as physical welfare.

Tony
Old 24th March 2020, 07:49 PM
Friend

I'm generaly with Ian on this and from some new preprints and articles on 2003 SARS I gathered as much as that actual risk of droplets with active virions staying on surfaces applies almost exclusively to hospitals.

Yet, I'd go for postponing the exchange as going to the post office is what I'd call unnecesary risk.

Jakub
Old 25th March 2020, 06:00 PM
Friend

On the subject I am rather with Ian & Jakub, but Tony certainly has a point here as well. Just OK to wait until the situation is better again.
Frank
Old 27th March 2020, 12:38 PM
Print Exchange Manager

I have decided that I won't be arranging a print swap for April but will reconsider at the end of April. I think we need to take a precautionary approach to the means of controlling the spread of the virus especially currently as things are still in an unclear and ever-changing state.

As for alexmuir suggestion for an email based exchange, I feel that this would be defeating the object of the exchange ie involving 'real' prints and also would be, in a small way, compromising FADU's raison d'etre. There are already opportunities on FADU to post scans of prints to be seen by a wider audience.
Mike
Old 27th March 2020, 12:45 PM
Friend

That makes sense, Mike. Thanks for letting us know. There’s no reason not to be making prints at the moment, ready for the Exchanges when they are back on.
Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 27th March 2020, 02:48 PM
Friend

Sounds Like a good idea to me to delay. With the kids now at home don't know when I will get a chance to do some more printing. They are already bored of me keep taking photos of them.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies