Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 16th May 2020, 12:16 PM
Friend

Default Kodak Ektacolor confusion

I haven't done a lot of darkroom work over the last year due to work and other pressures. However I'm now ready to get the Nova tank running again, and received a box of Kodak Ektacolor RA4 developer from AG photographic this week.

This 20L kit comprises four sets of three components which each make up 5L (although I normally only mix 1L at a time. Now I have successfully used this product before, but I have just realised that I never followed the instructions properly. If you can read the attached photo of the (very minimal) instructions, it seems that the resulting mix is actually a stock solution which has to be diluted further (800ml per litre). Am I reading this correctly?

Also I'm now unclear whether starter has to be added just to the initial fill, or also to any further top-up mixture. Any advice would be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kodak.jpg
Views:	441
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	3778  
Old 16th May 2020, 01:57 PM
Friend

Default Ra4

Hi Edmund long time no speak.

The RA4 is easy to mix by assuming the quantities of A, B and C are equal in proportion. The volume used to be printed on the sides of the bottle, at least they are on my last bottles. The small bottle 'A' holds 250cc Bottles 'B' and 'C' each hold 1 litre.

To make up one litre of prime developer with starter, use 1/5th of each bottle of the developer concentrate. The starter is different and I cannot recall how much is needed exactly but around 25cc per litre will not be far off. It isn't an exact science. As soon as you start developing, the chemical make up of the paper itself, will balance things out.

So for 1 litre of developer you need 100cc of 'B' and 'C' and 25cc of 'A' and 25cc of starter,

Fill a litre jug with around 700cc of warm water around 40 to 50 centigrade and first add the starter, then 'A' followed by the two other concentrates. The colour of the working solution will change as soon as you mix them, I think at one stage it goes greenish but as soon as you add the remainder of the water it should settle into a very pale yellow. Then top up to make the 1 litre.

The replenishment solution is the same quantities as the prime mix less the starter and still needs to be mixed at 40-50 degrees C.

Replenish at a rate of 10cc per each 8x10 or 100 cc for each 800 sq inches of paper including the sizes of test strips.

I hope that gets you going again.

Last edited by John King; 16th May 2020 at 02:06 PM.
Old 16th May 2020, 03:24 PM
Friend

John, isn't that a tenth of each bottle based on your amounts in bold?

Thanks

Mike
Old 16th May 2020, 05:43 PM
Friend

Default Dilutions

Yes, my mistake the quantities should be twice that including the starter
Old 16th May 2020, 09:08 PM
Friend

Thanks John, that clears up the question of starter and initial dilutions. However:

Referring back to the instructions on the box; if you read the lower line it definitely appears to indicate that this initial mixture needs to be diluted further. Could someone have look at the picture and confirm that I'm understanding this correctly?

I've never previously done this additional dilution, so I must have been using 20% over-concentrated developer?
Old 16th May 2020, 09:45 PM
Friend

Those instructions look terrible so I was wondering if kodaks tech pub. might be of any use?

Sorry I can't be of any greater help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf j39.pdf (244.6 KB, 1215 views)

“Reaching a creative state of mind thru positive action
is considered preferable to waiting for inspiration.”
- Minor White, 1950
Old 17th May 2020, 09:37 AM
Friend

I have never diluted it further and have been using Ektacolour since 1992 (Except recently dallied with Tetenal) but will be returning asap.

The last lot of Ektacolour I had indicates on the bottles that it was made in China I wonder if something has been lost in the translation. I have come across this before. The dilutions are the same all the way through with the exception of the prime developer where there is less water because of the starter. I would just ignore this as it appears to be incorrect.

UPDATE

I have just looked at the diagramme and the 'extra' dilution is only the top up water to make the full volume. It is NOT extra dilution

Last edited by John King; 17th May 2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 17th May 2020, 10:15 AM
Friend

John, Thanks for the clarification. The instructions are very unclear.

One point in favour of the Tetenal RA4 kit is its relative lack of odour. I don't have a very good sense of smell, but I'm always sickened by the smell of the Kodak developer. Which is a shame, because for me, one of the attractions of B&W processing has always been the pleasant smell!
Old 17th May 2020, 12:21 PM
Friend

Edmund,

I've been using the Tetenal RA-4 developer and have found it works very well. The instructions need reading carefully however to prevent one working with a double strength solution by accident. For my use in a Jobo drum "one shot" 200ml - for 12"x10" print, I dilute the developer 1+19.

Tom
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies