Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 19th October 2015, 01:22 PM
Friend

Default HP5 and ID11 1:3

I have used ID11 stock and 1:1 for this film, but never 1:3. Does it offer any advantages, other than economy?
Alex.
Old 19th October 2015, 02:10 PM
Friend

At 1+3 I always found the results with ID-11 rather flat, grain increases a bit as well but sharpness improves. A better compromise is 1+2 which gives better contrast, less increase in grain etc.

Ian
Old 19th October 2015, 04:52 PM
Friend

Thanks Ian. I've had good results with. 1:1 before, but wondered if 1:3 might be better. It doesn't seem so from what you say.
Alex
Old 19th October 2015, 05:09 PM
Friend

For many years I always used ID11, ad D76, at 1+1. Then out of curiosity I tried D76 with HP5 at 1+3. I immediately found, as Ian has said, that I got more sharpness and more grain. Quite a few people have made the same observation and I think I interpreted this as being about the same increase in both sharpness and grain. But what I found in a 10 x 8 inch print from a 35mm HP5 negative was that the increase in sharpness was easy to see, but the increase in grain was very slight and you had to stare hard at comparison prints to actually see it.
Ian says that he has found negatives rather flat when done in 1+3., but for HP5 exposed in bright sun I got results that printed nicely on middle contrast grades, so I use it for a while. But in the end I got fed up with the long dev. times so tried the 1+2 dilution. I found that this gave me the same degree of sharpness, and grain, as the 1+3 dilution. But with shorter times. So switched to 1+2.
1+2 has become my standard way of using ID11, over the last few years. It works very well with HP5, FP4, and Foma 400, which are my standard films, and also with Pan F, which I've recently been experimenting with.

Alan
Old 19th October 2015, 09:07 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Clark View Post
For many years I always used ID11, ad D76, at 1+1. Then out of curiosity I tried D76 with HP5 at 1+3. I immediately found, as Ian has said, that I got more sharpness and more grain. Quite a few people have made the same observation and I think I interpreted this as being about the same increase in both sharpness and grain. But what I found in a 10 x 8 inch print from a 35mm HP5 negative was that the increase in sharpness was easy to see, but the increase in grain was very slight and you had to stare hard at comparison prints to actually see it.
Ian says that he has found negatives rather flat when done in 1+3., but for HP5 exposed in bright sun I got results that printed nicely on middle contrast grades, so I use it for a while. But in the end I got fed up with the long dev. times so tried the 1+2 dilution. I found that this gave me the same degree of sharpness, and grain, as the 1+3 dilution. But with shorter times. So switched to 1+2.
1+2 has become my standard way of using ID11, over the last few years. It works very well with HP5, FP4, and Foma 400, which are my standard films, and also with Pan F, which I've recently been experimenting with.

Alan
It gives slightly finer grain and better sharpness than FS or 1+1.

I processed some films for a friend (who later worked for me) and he wanted his FP4 films processed 1+2, he used an Exacta VX10-0 & 35mm, 50mm & 135m CZJ lenses, the results were outstanding, some of the best 35mm negatives I've printed from.

Ian
Old 19th October 2015, 10:40 PM
Friend

No it dosn't.
Old 19th October 2015, 11:11 PM
Friend

I will try 1:2 next time I'm processing to see how it looks. The increased sharpness could be of benefit in landscape and architectural work.
Alex
Old 20th October 2015, 11:14 AM
Friend

I've tried the HP5 and D-76 1+3 and like very much the results and how this combination helps me to control the light showing details in the shadows.

But think that I live near Murcia (Spain) and my problem here, between March and October, is that is difficult to control the enormous quantity of light.
Old 20th October 2015, 11:32 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domingo View Post
I've tried the HP5 and D-76 1+3 and like very much the results and how this combination helps me to control the light showing details in the shadows.

But think that I live near Murcia (Spain) and my problem here, between March and October, is that is difficult to control the enormous quantity of light.
When shooting in Turkey & Greece the light's very similar but surprisingly I find it less contrasty than a bright sunny day in the UK with it's deeper shadows. It was the same when I was in Spain 4 years ago.

I switched to Pyrocat HD about 9 or 10 years ago and find it handles the extremes of lighting very well and the results with HP5 are excellent, very easy to print.

Ian
Old 20th October 2015, 01:40 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostlabours View Post
[...]
I switched to Pyrocat HD about 9 or 10 years ago and find it handles the extremes of lighting very well and the results with HP5 are excellent, very easy to print.
[...]
I also switched to Pyrocat HD maybe two years ago and my impressions are the same than you, Ian - negatives with a lot of information, good density and relatively easy to print.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies