Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > General discussions > New products and offers

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 7th May 2015, 08:58 AM
Friend

Default NEW film: Foma Retropan 320 Soft

Hi!

It is on the Foma site, news page, the announcement of a new film:
http://www.foma.cz/en/news-photomaterials

Datasheet is here:
http://www.foma.cz/ew/ec816f17-da8b-...d75aa19fee6-en

This is great news!
Old 7th May 2015, 04:48 PM
Friend

I'll ask the same question as I did on APUG. Can anyone say what the "special" bit of this new film consists of?

I note that there is a special developer for it with only a little information about development in a small range of developers other than its own developer.

The datasheet says really nothing about what is special about it

Thanks

Mike
Old 7th May 2015, 05:54 PM
Friend

I suppose we will find out when we get to try it out, I would imagine that more information will be forthcoming from Foma, but at least it shows that Foma must have confidance in the future of analogue, it must be expensive to introduce a new film so it is good news on that front, so good on Foma for the effort it is making
Richard
Old 7th May 2015, 05:58 PM
Friend

It sounds interesting. I read the information sheet. I had the impression the English translation perhaps doesn't quite express the details as clearly as the original material. I'm keen to try it.
Alex
Old 7th May 2015, 07:22 PM
Friend

I have found out a bit more. It seems that the word soft is used and is intended to indicate low contrast so allegedly this gives two advantages. 1. It allows you to push the film to 1250 without the usual increase in contrast and 2. It would be suitable for high contrast scenes.

I often only "push" D3200 to 1250 in Xtol so I wonder how a Foma 320 pushed to 1250 compares. If it can compete in the shadow detail area with D3200 and better it in grain then that really is a win/win situtation.

Of course it might cost me a film or two to work out the right development in Xtol as there is no info on this film and Xtol

Mike
Old 13th May 2015, 09:01 AM
Friend

Default Fomapan 320 Availability

...NOT (yet).

FOMA announced the 320 before any material was ready to ship out. Latest info, speaking as FOMA importer, is that any Fomapan 320 for consumption is some weeks away. 17m bulk rolls of 35mm film, as well as sheet film & the recommended chemicals will be ready in about two weeks, add onto that the time for collating into a larger order, shipping etc.

Am trying to expedite ASAP, & it will be available through Process Supplies & the usual dealers.
Old 13th May 2015, 04:56 PM
Friend

It will be nice Martin if Foma can cover a few more developer times, such as Xtol with its information leaflet as well

Mike
Old 14th May 2015, 09:18 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Reed View Post
...NOT (yet).

FOMA announced the 320 before any material was ready to ship out. Latest info, speaking as FOMA importer, is that any Fomapan 320 for consumption is some weeks away. 17m bulk rolls of 35mm film, as well as sheet film & the recommended chemicals will be ready in about two weeks, add onto that the time for collating into a larger order, shipping etc.

Am trying to expedite ASAP, & it will be available through Process Supplies & the usual dealers.
Thank you so much for this information Martin.
I gather you work with or in PS. The staff there once told me they have a "Foma man" who brings all the stuff.
I take the opportunity to ask for availability of Fomafix in 1 litre bottles. I was told and saw they only had the 25L bottles. I got the powder version which is nice.

Thanks for the info on bulk rolls. I was going to PS tomorrow to get some F100 bulk roll, but I'll wait now for the Retropan 320 Soft.
Thanks!
Old 14th May 2015, 09:52 AM
Friend

I quite like the sound of 'The Man from Foma', has the ring of an international man of mystery... However on a more prosaic level I'm warehousing the Foma in the Process Supplies basement vaults, so they should always hold good stocks, as the bulk of it is all there anyway.

There isn't a Foma liquid 1 litre, but the liquid is in 500ml & 5 litres, both of which should be in stock. I can't see either on the PS website, will attend to it. The powder Fomafix P is proving surprisingly popular as well, as there's not much in the way of powder fix around now. A lot of it's used by people who are flying out of the country, as liquids are banned on flights now.
Old 14th May 2015, 11:52 AM
Friend

Thanks for the info!
That was my mistake, confused with the metric sizes.
Yes, it was the 5L I saw.
Silverprint has them on their site, but whenever I go to the shop, they don't seem to have much at the counter.
I like a lot Foma films and chemistry. Pity I don't have a proper darkroom to try their papers.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies