Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Colour Work > Colour film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 23rd February 2014, 04:34 PM
Friend

I mounted and projected the first slides yesterday. It was pretty straightforward. The image on screen was very good, although not as large as expected. A bigger room is needed! I was surprised at how much light spill there was from my projector. It fairly lights up the room. I must check that all parts are in place around the lamp.
Alex
Old 20th November 2015, 06:44 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmuir View Post
I mounted and projected the first slides yesterday. It was pretty straightforward. The image on screen was very good, although not as large as expected. A bigger room is needed! I was surprised at how much light spill there was from my projector. It fairly lights up the room. I must check that all parts are in place around the lamp.
Alex
I've just acquired a Rollei 35mm + 6x6cm projector and I am disappointed by the reduced contrast and washed-out shadow detail. But in my case the leakage from the projector is well-controlled - the light-spill comes from the screen (a magnolia wall), bounced onto a white ceiling and back onto the screen. I improved things a little by cleaning the dusty lens.
Is this why cinemas have dark flank walls, seats and ceilings?
Old 20th November 2015, 07:10 PM
Friend

Re cinemas, yes.
Apparently Kubrick was so aware of how much cinema lighting, décor and screen whiteness affected the viewing experience he had cinemas inspected before showing his movies to ensure they were up to scratch.

Can't find a reference just now, but he took projection very seriously.
Old 21st November 2015, 10:21 AM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
Yeah, like Richard says I'd expect 6x6 slides to pop quite badly, so go for glass mounts. BUT I read that glass mounts are more prone to condensation and mould growth, so don't leave the slides in long term.
I just got a 6x6cm projector and I dug out old slides, all Ektachrome Professional process E3, mounted at the time in Pullin glass mounts, that I have not looked at since the 1960s and 70s. A few may have been processed in E4. Inexplicably, some have faded to a magenta cast but others have not. A few exhibit the beginnings of fungus, most don't. I have been fortunate to live in centrally heated houses ever since, so there is no evidence of condensation.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies