Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Equipment > Cameras - small format

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th November 2015, 01:20 PM
Friend

Yes, I was thinking of flowers and butterflies.

Nick
Old 14th November 2015, 10:50 PM
Friend

Years ago I used a mirror lens (Russian MTO 1000/10) with a variety of DIY lens caps that featured different size off-centre circular holes. This way I could stop the lens down for more depth of field, less flare, more sharpness, and no do-nuts. Or leave the lens caps off and go for the full mirror lens experience.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 15th November 2015, 12:48 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
Years ago I used a mirror lens (Russian MTO 1000/10) with a variety of DIY lens caps that featured different size off-centre circular holes. This way I could stop the lens down for more depth of field, less flare, more sharpness, and no do-nuts. Or leave the lens caps off and go for the full mirror lens experience.
I like that idea, how did you calculate the f stop in relation to the size of the hole? Was it just a case of trial and error?
Old 15th November 2015, 04:12 PM
Friend

I have a Russian MTO 500mm f8 bought years ago from Brocks Cameras for £69-00 and I used it a lot for Cricket photos for the local newspapers. It came in a wooden box with ND and Red, two Yellow filters . I can use it on M42, Pentax 'K' and Canon FD with the Canon 'P' adapter.
Old 15th November 2015, 09:34 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOldNorm View Post
I like that idea, how did you calculate the f stop in relation to the size of the hole? Was it just a case of trial and error?
F-stop is easy, just divide the focal length by the diameter of the off-centre hole. But I went even easier by letting the TTL meter in my 35mm camera (set to aperture priority automation) deliver an appropriate shutter speed.
The word Photography first uttered and defined by its author Sir John Herschel at Somerset House, London on the evening of March 14, 1839: quote "Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation" unquote.
Old 15th November 2015, 10:42 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maris View Post
F-stop is easy, just divide the focal length by the diameter of the off-centre hole. But I went even easier by letting the TTL meter in my 35mm camera (set to aperture priority automation) deliver an appropriate shutter speed.
Thank you for that Maris.
Old 17th November 2015, 06:38 PM
Friend

Solid cats rule! but££££££££££££
Old 18th January 2016, 10:24 AM
Friend

I just did a Video on my Russian MTO 500 'Mirror lens' and show a few prints from it -- you can see it here ----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJkEOoHjTzg
Old 18th January 2016, 12:46 PM
Friend

I think your videos are great ,as I have said before I have you on my favourites and look from time to time .I like your Pentax 67 comparison video ,I have always wanted a Pentax 67 , and your video explained a lot, thanks

www.essexcockney.com
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies