Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Chemistry > Manufactured brews

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 9th June 2016, 02:13 AM
Friend

Default Old ID-11....still clear, but useable?

Quick question: I have some ID11 that's been in a half-full bottle for about 1 month longer than Ilford's recommended storage life - is it useable? It's still pretty much clear - maybe a very pale tan colour - smells clean and has no deposits. I seem to recall that when this stuff goes south it turns darker brown/amber. As I always use ID11 dilute one-shot, it's had no films through it.

I just want to bang off a couple of test rolls tomorrow in two recently acquired TLRs and want to use it up -nothing of any value.

Thanks in advance!
Svend
Old 9th June 2016, 07:09 AM
Friend

There should be no probklem. Ilford always seem to give the expiry date well in advance of when it will be truly out of date.
Old 9th June 2016, 10:50 AM
Friend

Good one - thanks John. It does look very fresh, like the day I mixed it. No discolouration at all. I will use it up today.

Best,
Svend
Old 9th June 2016, 02:32 PM
Friend

Now you have us all on the edge of our chairs wondering how your snaps came out in that ID11 !
Old 9th June 2016, 02:46 PM
Friend

Geez Pete, gimme a moment to get 'er done, would ya? It's actually still working hours here - having my mid-morning coffee as I write this. I will step out over lunch, bang off a couple of rolls to test the new cameras and develop them tonight. I will let you know in due time...

Best,
Svend

PS -- I'm hoping for good results with both TLRs, which will mean (cross fingers) no CLA needed. Both have been sitting idle in their previous owners' closets for decades. The Mamiya C330 is in good shape, but I have five lenses to test with it (oh boy! not all today...). I am doubtful about the Rolleiflex -- the winder is stiff and the DOF scale seems to have become uncoupled. Still, it will be worth the CLA cost as the lens should be a killer -- 3.5C Xenotar; supposedly better tonality and as sharp as a Planar, if not more so (if that's possible). I've also had a 3.5F Planar since about 1980, so I will know soon enough...that's an incredible lens.

Last edited by Svend; 9th June 2016 at 02:52 PM.
Old 9th June 2016, 03:49 PM
Friend

Default test

Try dipping a small piece of B&W film in the developer, with the lights on or in daylight wait to see if it turns black. If it turns black within 5-6 mins I would risk developing a film in it.
Old 9th June 2016, 05:18 PM
Friend

Hmmm...I've done that with the leader from 135 film, but never tried it with 120. I suppose I could trim a wee bit off where the tape is...? Should be enough there that I won't mess up a frame. Well, for these rolls it doesn't matter much, as they are just camera test rolls anyway.

Thanks for the reminder, Norm.

Svend
Old 10th June 2016, 03:44 AM
Friend

Pete - the developer worked fine . I did as Norm suggested and chucked in a piece of film snipped from around the tape area, and turn black it did. Took a while, as I was a bit absent-minded and didn't think of it until the developer was already diluted (one shot, 1+3) ...I should have put it into the stock. But after about 10 min. it eventually was black enough to say that all was well.

The shutter speed checks were less encouraging. The Rollei was all over the map - no surprise after sitting in someone's closet for 30 years..shutter service needed. The Mamiya LS lenses were mixed - the 180mm was bang on at all tested speeds (nice!), but the 55mm was, surprisingly, off at the high speeds (too fast) and OK at 1/60 and slower. My initial thought was that a shutter flush would be the proper thing to do, and on any of the others in the kit that show deviant speeds, as it's a piece of cake to do on these Mamiya TLR lenses. But that's normally done to fix a sticky slow shutter, not one that's too fast. I will consult with a repair tech on this.

Back to the developer - nice to know that it lasts longer than Ilford says. I will do some clearing time tests on some of their fixer too, once past its expiry date, as I still have a 1/2 liter of concentrate that's nearing the end and I'm not keen to just dump it.

Regards,
Svend

Last edited by Svend; 10th June 2016 at 03:50 AM.
Old 10th June 2016, 03:37 PM
Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvendN View Post
Hmmm...I've done that with the leader from 135 film, but never tried it with 120. I suppose I could trim a wee bit off where the tape is...? Should be enough there that I won't mess up a frame. Well, for these rolls it doesn't matter much, as they are just camera test rolls anyway.

Thanks for the reminder, Norm.

Svend
I keep a couple of 35mm rolls around just for these sort of eventualities.

It doesn't matter about how old they are or the speed or make.

Martin
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies