Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome Film

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 13th June 2016, 02:22 PM
Friend

Just a general observation to share. Others are rarely as critical of our work as we are. Come up with an image that's a stop off and only other photographers will notice. Now that's not intended as license to be sloppy just a reminder to lighten up on one's self sometimes. You'll get fine images with the small mistake you made. Not perfect but those who see them will most likely be thrilled to see them.
Old 13th June 2016, 03:51 PM
Friend

So true. And having German background, being self-critical and perfectionist is part of my DNA It's a curse sometimes.

Thanks for the reality check!

BTW, nice area you live in. I've only dropped in on WV briefly on a few occasions -- Harper's Ferry, Morgantown, and somewhere south of Athens, OH (can't recall the name of the town in WV). Lots of history there, and beautiful scenery. Friendly people too.

Best,
Svend
Old 16th June 2016, 10:12 AM
Friend

We are all waiting with baited breath for your 'results' ---
Old 16th June 2016, 11:57 AM
Friend

HP5 @ 400, Perceptol 1+1 for 20 min. at 20 deg. C, standard agitation per Ilford recommendations. This time is +10% over Ilford's time for the same combo at ISO 320, to compensate for the slight underexposure.

Negs look great. Not much to find fault with, other than a couple of double exposures (still coming to grips with these old folding cameras, damn them!). Shadow detail is good in all, even the ones taken indoors with bright sunlight streaming in the windows -- very long SBR, but turned out as well as could be hoped without using sheet film. Highlights are well controlled. Mid tones are right where they should be, perhaps a wee bit denser than ideal in those areas I placed on zone V.

Overall impression is that the negs are perhaps lacking a bit of the snap that ID-11/D-76 would give -- I used the same cameras and film, similar scenes and light conditions about a month ago, but developed in D-76. The latter are a bit more punchy, crisper, but the Perceptol negs have smoother gradation and should give very nice prints indeed. Perceptol was the right choice for the light -- midday full sun outdoor scenes, with some indoor shots (as above) on the same roll. I'm pretty sure D-76 would not have handled those scenes nearly as well.

Sharpness is excellent -- lots of fine detail retained. (Those old triplet lenses on the folders continue to impress me.) Not sure about grain yet, but I will know soon once I enlarge them. HP5 in D-76 is pretty grainy, but darn sharp, which suits these urban scenes. Perceptol should show much less grain...we will see...

All in all, HP5 in Perceptol seems to be a good combo, at least in those light conditions. I would probably not choose Perceptol with this film for flat light, however.

I'm looking forward to working with these negs now and getting some prints out.

Cheers,
Svend

Last edited by Svend; 16th June 2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 21st June 2016, 06:01 PM
Friend

Here are some initial scans showing HP5 in Perceptol (developed as above).

Moderators: I believe one is not allowed to post scans in the Gallery section. If that also applies to images elsewhere -- ie. within a thread such as this -- then please let me know and I can delete. Apologies in advance if this is out of line.

Personally, I like this film-developer combo. Maybe lacking some of the crispness of HP5 in ID-11 or D-76, but for this kind of subject I think it's quite acceptable. It seemed to handle the indoor scenes quite well. Sharpness is excellent. You may not be able to make it out in the JPEG, but in the neg and original TIFF from the scan of the saddle image, every strand of the spider webs on the back wall is clearly rendered. Impressive.

Image notes:

#1 -- Fisher Building, Detroit; Agfa Isolette II w. Apotar lens (if you can read it on the small JPEG, the inscription over the second arch is really great -- I think every school child should learn that).

#2 & #3 -- barn of the Buffalo Soldiers Heritage Society, Detroit; Franka Rolfix II w. Rodenstock Trinar lens. (the barn pics seem to come out a bit harsh in these attachments - tones are much more balanced in the original TIFF files, highlights not so blown out looking).

Minimal curve adjustment and mild sharpening applied in PP to clean up the scans.

Regards,
Svend
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fisher Bldg 1.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	2525   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buffalo Soldiers barn 1.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	2526   Click image for larger version

Name:	Buffalo Soldiers barn 2.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	2527  

Last edited by Svend; 21st June 2016 at 06:26 PM.
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies