Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 21st July 2014, 04:01 PM
Friend

Default Ro9 paper developer

I have been gathering a bit of background on RO9/Rodinal and read that it could be used as a print developer. It was mentioned that it was the only developer that could be used for both. I have done a little more digging and have found a couple of people who have used it for printing. But no real info on dilution.

Has anyone here had experience of using it for printing?

http://photomi7ch.blogspot.com/

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 21st July 2014, 04:42 PM
Friend

Default universal developer

Spursinn Geminus is I think the only paper and film (small, medium and large format) developer curently on the market - see http://www.keyphoto.com/shop/shop/chemicals/bwchemicals

Ilford PQ universal is technically a universal developer, but for film it is for large format applications (check the deatasheet on their web site) .

I work for keyphoto who imprt Geminus, and have used it as a film developer: surprisingly good results on film!

Universal deveopers are generall (like zoom lenses!) a compromise, but for a low volume darkroom they are cost efficient.

Dave
Old 21st July 2014, 06:44 PM
Friend

Can't speak for Rodinal as print Dev, but I've gone the opposite direction and used a print Dev (Ansco 130) for film a few times with good results. For film I found 1+25 had similar times as Rodinal at 1+25 did. For paper I use the 130 at 1+1.

So I'd guess you're looking at a fairly strong concentration to do paper in Rodinal.
Old 21st July 2014, 08:40 PM
Friend

Yes Rodinal at higher concentration can be used as a paper developer. Around 1:25 to1:15 would be best.

Dektol/D72 is a film developer now used mostly as a paper dveloper/

Ilford PQ Universal gives very fine grain with 35mm films, but it needs to be fresh to be consistent so unless you're using a lot it's going to be less predictable (as it ages).

I wouldn't touch some products mentioned in this thread as it subversive advertising,

Ian
Old 22nd July 2014, 07:02 AM
Friend

Thank you for the information.

It just go's to show how things change over time.

I was thinking that maybe a stronger mix would be needed for paper.

If you eliminate the impossible whatever remains no matter how improbable must be the truth.
Old 22nd July 2014, 10:54 AM
Friend

Just a thought and I haven't worked it out but at 1+15 for paper printing wouldn't Rodinal work out as expensive as or more expensive than normal paper developer.

It is 62.5 ccs for a 1L tray so 8 trays worth from a 500ml bottle. A 5L container of normal paper developer gives 50L so 50 trays worth. You'll need to get 6x 500ml bottles of Rodinal for the same price as 5L of MG or PQ developer

Unless Rodinal is very special as a paper developer it would be a non-starter for me on economics grounds

Mike
Old 23rd July 2014, 09:18 AM
Friend

That's a good point Mike, it maybe why there is little or no info on the subject.

Old 23rd July 2014, 10:30 PM
Friend

That's what I would figure too. High concentration combined with larger amount for tray processing will get expensive fast.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:00 AM
foulkner

Modules are one of the numerous things that make WordPress so alluring. On the off chance that you require a picture display or a contact structure,,,,,,,,,,,,
WP IVR Plugin| IVR Plugin | IVR For Sale| Nimble Messaging

Tags
developer, dilution, paper, ro9
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies