Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies  

Notices

Go Back   Film and Darkroom User > Monochrome Work > Monochrome printing techniques

***   Click here for the FADU 2015/2014 Yearbooks   ***

Old 14th December 2014, 11:00 PM
Friend

Default graded paper with ilford multigrade 500 enlarger

Hi all

can anybody recommend how best to use a mg 500 system with graded paper
what grade should I set it to

best

robin
Old 14th December 2014, 11:44 PM
Friend

I think you would need a 'white light' setting to use graded paper properly. I don't know if the MG500 allows a setting with no filtration in the light path, but I assume it does so for focussing? I'm not sure what, if any , effect the filtration would have on graded paper, but I can't imagine it would give optimum results as the paper is designed for use without any filtration.

Alex.
Old 15th December 2014, 06:17 AM
Friend

Graded paper should be blind to filtration (unless the filters do cut the 100%), but it will affect to exposure time depending the paper spectral sensitivity (usually just blue light). I would download the manual from Ilford here http://goo.gl/3TOIeN and will follow the suggestions on page 39 for a starting point, which is mainly to use hard filtration. I guess that way the projected image will be pretty dim (thinking in manipulations), and predictably quite fast for something like oriental or gallery if the filtration unit is substractive (I can't recall if the 500 used Y/M filters or G/B). One way or another, these directions should put you into production quickly.

Last edited by Luis; 15th December 2014 at 06:21 AM. Reason: bad editing.
Old 15th December 2014, 07:01 AM
Friend

+1

Graded paper is sensitive to blue light but normally white light would be used.
The manual in above link says that the 500 uses Green and Blue dichroic filters. i.e. it is an additive system rather than a subtractive system which most heads use.

So you would want to use either white light or hardest contrast (blue light only).

Having said that green probably won't make much, if any, difference so you may find that grade 2 works just fine.

With a subtractive system which uses yellow filter to subtract blue light, I think it would make much more difference so hardest contrast would be required if not using white light.

Manual says to use hardest contrast.
Old 15th December 2014, 09:07 AM
Friend

Graded papers are as others have said sensitive to blue light. The MG500 system cannot produce white light as it has only blue and green sources. My recommendation would be to set grade 2 which will give you a decent amount of blue light, while the addition of green will brighten the baseboard image and make it easier to compose and focus.

Most importantly, use the same grade setting whenever you use that particular paper because while changing the enlarger's grade setting is unlikely to affect contrast, it may affect exposure and therefore repeatability.

RH Designs darkroom equipment : dalesphoto.co.uk
Old 15th December 2014, 09:53 PM
Friend

Great

thanks for all the replies

robin
Old 16th December 2014, 05:45 PM
Friend

Many years ago when I was using a DeVere 504 with a 400 or 500 Ilford MG heads I found G2 the best for graded paper.
J.

http://real-silver-prints.com/

"I Prefer it in the Dark"
Old 16th December 2014, 07:27 PM
Friend

Ditto G2 for me as well.

Neil.

Neil Souch
Old 16th December 2014, 07:43 PM
Friend

G2 filtration equates to white light on VC paper (with some neutral density).

i.e. same amounts of green and blue light as white light. So it should work with graded too.

If as richard suggests, the 500 head increases light output with green and blue as opposed to blue only then it would make sense to adjust grade to get the print exposure times you like and then stick with that setting. i.e. use grade adjustment to adjust effective neutral density.
Old 5th August 2016, 10:02 AM
foulkner

Modules are one of the key good qualities of WordPress and shares a rundown of assets to help you learn WordPress module advancement ...
WP IVR Plugin| IVR Plugin | IVR For Sale| Nimble Messaging
Support our Sponsors, they keep FADU free:   AG Photographic   The Imaging Warehouse   Process Supplies   RH Designs   Second-hand Darkroom Supplies